Depression

Volto!

Lord Nagafen Raider
Frenzied Wombat Frenzied Wombat Oddly enough, I just got off the ssri discussed in your second link, citalopram. Had been on it for about five years. I’ve been completely off it for about a month and a half now with zero changes to my libido.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I had early 30's depression / anxiety but the cure is:

- exercise
- maintain non-obese weight
- quit caffeine (ever woken up at night feeling weird? that's caffeine) you can still drink decaf
- healthy diet, minimal sugar

Quitting caffeine and anxiety went 100% away in a week or two.

I don't drink caffeine
I'm not anywhere near obese and I'm still losing weight, the most I have ever weighed was 190 at 6' and got down to 165 when I got sick. up to 175 now.
I eat very little sugar being a diabetic

Exercise would probably be the best help. I do what I can till I'm out of breath again.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Frenzied Wombat Frenzied Wombat Oddly enough, I just got off the ssri discussed in your second link, citalopram. Had been on it for about five years. I’ve been completely off it for about a month and a half now with zero changes to my libido.

And are you not freaking out?

IMHO I've come to the conclusion SSRI's are fucking brain poison. They're fine as a "break in case of emergency" type solution for suicidal depression, or depression that renders you non functional, but the fact that doctors hand this shit out like innocuous candy as solutions for transient life issues is fucking criminal.

Volto!

Lord Nagafen Raider
And are you not freaking out?

IMHO I've come to the conclusion SSRI's are fucking brain poison. They're fine as a "break in case of emergency" type solution for suicidal depression, or depression that renders you non functional, but the fact that doctors hand this shit out like innocuous candy as solutions for transient life issues is fucking criminal.

Nah, man. I feel good. I'm fortunate that it's been so uneventful and easy, but I was ready for it. I weened myself off of it slowly - I think over the course of about 4 months - and maybe that has something to do with my not experiencing any shitty side effects. People have such wildly different experiences on antidepressants that I don't even know what to offer up as advice for your situation. I do empathize with you though.

Doctors can be as lazy, ignorant, and overly self-assured as anyone in any profession. If you have good reason to think your current physician can't or isn't helping you, go see a different one imo. Is the doctor you've spoken to about all this a GP/family doc or an actual psychiatrist? You may have better luck speaking to the latter if you haven't tried that.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Nah, man. I feel good. I'm fortunate that it's been so uneventful and easy, but I was ready for it. I weened myself off of it slowly - I think over the course of about 4 months - and maybe that has something to do with my not experiencing any shitty side effects. People have such wildly different experiences on antidepressants that I don't even know what to offer up as advice for your situation. I do empathize with you though.

Doctors can be as lazy, ignorant, and overly self-assured as anyone in any profession. If you have good reason to think your current physician can't or isn't helping you, go see a different one imo. Is the doctor you've spoken to about all this a GP/family doc or an actual psychiatrist? You may have better luck speaking to the latter if you haven't tried that.

Ah ok, I thought you had implied that your libido sucked.

Psychiatrist was entirely dismissive and said if I didn't want another SSRI to go see a therapist. My GP, after sending him the literature, said he will look into it as he can't deny that the symptoms I've described for years mirror the condition, as well as the fact that I complained that my libido was dead right after the trintellix, yet still persists. TBH, there's really no point, there's no recognized treatment and it's just starting to get some traction and research now. Pharma companies literally had the Wikipedia page on it nuked.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
I dated a lady when I was in my 20's that took anti-depressants and saw first hand how fucking loopy it made her. Scared me off all that stuff. I've never taken pills and never will.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Saw a meme that 40% of American women are on anti depressants. Meaning 60% weren't :(

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
My cousin got married in 2008 and her husband had a well paying job.
Few years later he was let go with a nice severance pay.
They have a paid off house.
She's working full time as a nurse or something in hospital administration.
He tried to find a new job fitting his education.
Not because they needed the money, but to be "useful" again.
They were living the good life, holidays when and where they wanted, she made enough to support both of them while he took care of the house and garden.

Last week depression got the best of him and he took a rope to the basement and hung himself.

• 3Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 2 users

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
That's ruff as Ronaan Ronaan
I never thought I'd be here commenting on my life, especially to a bunch of ghosts on the internet.
I'm 3 days into iso and my brain is fucked. I'm only home because work has cut everyone to 5 days of work a fortnight.. My wife is in health and will have to deal with covid patients soon. I'm scared for her. We have 2 Young blokes who I love so much but am struggling to keep onto of, I have no idea how my wife does this.. .. Here in Melbourne its been raining for 3 days and I'm a very outside person.. I have so much I want and need to do, work on the house, ride my pushy, fix cars, play outside with the boys... But can't. I'm being a total sad sacks and just needed to vent..

• 1Solidarity

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
if not for my kids, I think I’d peace out right now.
Hey Amod Bro! You and I both know it would be more than just your kids that would be crushed if you were not around. Get this junk out of your head. Maybe typing it out was cathartic and no you can just leave that thought were it belongs in the past, unfulfilled. Time. It's what you need, time from present day. Find shit that distracts you in positive way, not drugs or booze obviously. Video games with your kids or good friends online. Execercise. Not saying you gotta go all David Googins, but a brisk walk or a light jog can do wonders for your mental state. Keep your head up. 🙂

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Ridas

Pay to play forum
if not for my kids, I think I’d peace out right now.
*and being amod. I am just kidding.
There always will be better times. Remember the things that helped you before and how it felt, when you you were on the upswing.
And think of the all the great moments you will have with your kids.

I know, platitudes, but hang in there and at least you will always be "our" worst amod!

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
The nice part about living through some shit is you start to see that you'll keep living through it until it kills you. And that it really can always be worse. The economy is going to suck salty chocolate balls for a while, but it will get better. We have a new virus in the ecosystem that will be around forever, but most of us will get better.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I had a phone session with someone today in hopes of talking to someone would help. That was about 4 hours ago and frankly, I feel worse at this point.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
thank you. I’ll keep your offer in mind, talking makes things worse so I’m just trying to occupy myself and my mind as much as I can for now.
Talk to your doc. If you're just getting serious anxiety and panic attacks there are a lot of meds for that stuff. Back when my diabetes decided to kill off sensation in my toes and a bit in my fingers that fucked me up in a big way for a while. Duloxetine has helped a lot there.