Depression

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
That's how change goes. Sometimes you get to do it on your own, sometimes you don't. Now you also have the life lesson as to what can happen when you give the reins of your business over to someone else. Always CYA. Ass, assets, both always true. The universe is full of awesome shit to see and do, but it is entirely indifferent as to whether you continue to exist or not.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
The outreach the program I started is multi state (potentially) at this point where as before it was a single county. I’m not upset in the least at the decision I made, the amount of people being helped is insane and that’s what matters most.

I knew what I was doing, it’s just the end I had planned came 6 months earlier, which I guess isn’t too bad since that plan originated 4 years ago.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The outreach the program I started is multi state (potentially) at this point where as before it was a single county. I’m not upset in the least at the decision I made, the amount of people being helped is insane and that’s what matters most.

I knew what I was doing, it’s just the end I had planned came 6 months earlier, which I guess isn’t too bad since that plan originated 4 years ago.
Start a new non-profit. With blackjack. and hookers.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I look forward to your post in 2030 about being pushed out of another successful multi-state charitable organization.
Ideally I’ll be working for the government by then, sitting in my lofty position with 100 paid holidays.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Ideally I’ll be working for the government by then, sitting in my lofty position with 100 paid holidays.
I am on the tail end of the pre-employment process with the government and I already feel more respected and wanted than any non-profit has shown me ever. Hopefully it works out the same for you eventually.

• 1Solidarity

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I am on the tail end of the pre-employment process with the government and I already feel more respected and wanted than any non-profit has shown me ever. Hopefully it works out the same for you eventually.

yeah, honestly the last year has really soured me on the nonprofit game. I hopefully won’t be going back to it.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
That being said, your point about receptor downregulation may very well be correct about why K stops working after a while.
Antagonists cause UPregulation, no?

Talking about something as fundamental to cellular signalling as the NMDA pathway tho, upregulation I assume can cause tolerance too. Too many receptors means it's that much harder for the dissociative to block enough receptors to sufficiently produce dissociation.

NMDA antagonists are also notorious for rebound excitotoxicity. Likely plays a role in tolerance building.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Antagonists cause UPregulation, no?

Talking about something as fundamental to cellular signalling as the NMDA pathway tho, upregulation I assume can cause tolerance too. Too many receptors means it's that much harder for the dissociative to block enough receptors to sufficiently produce dissociation.

NMDA antagonists are also notorious for rebound excitotoxicity. Likely plays a role in tolerance building.

You’re right, I always get them confused like afferent and efferent.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
So, a few weeks passed, and I didn't realize the toll my previous job took on me. After a few days, I really reflected back and not having the constant anxiety of my on-call phone ringing, working a 16-hour shift to sleep in my car for 4 hours so I could turn around and do it again and not see my wife for 2 or 3 days at a time because of it...I'll never go back to that. I took it all in stride, or so I thought but after being gone a week I was in my best spot mentally then I had been in in a long time.

I signed an offer for a new job today, I start in a few weeks. Really looking forward to it.

• 12Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 12 users

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
So, a few weeks passed, and I didn't realize the toll my previous job took on me. After a few days, I really reflected back and not having the constant anxiety of my on-call phone ringing, working a 16-hour shift to sleep in my car for 4 hours so I could turn around and do it again and not see my wife for 2 or 3 days at a time because of it...I'll never go back to that. I took it all in stride, or so I thought but after being gone a week I was in my best spot mentally then I had been in in a long time.

I signed an offer for a new job today, I start in a few weeks. Really looking forward to it.
Congrats on the new job, but also wtf job were you doing? That sounds fucking mizz.

Ridas

Pay to play forum
I supervised two homeless shelters for at risk youth.
Dude, what the hell were you doing? I can only guess (I work in a similiar field), but you need to keep a professional distance to work/persons like that or you burn out real quick. And that's not helping anybody.

I might be way off here, but it just rings all my alarm bells as a professional in working with at risk people.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Dude, what the hell were you doing? I can only guess (I work in a similiar field), but you need to keep a professional distance to work/persons like that or you burn out real quick. And that's not helping anybody.

I might be way off here, but it just rings all my alarm bells as a professional in working with at risk people.

between crisis on call two weeks to three weeks out of the month, staffing shortages and trainings for my staff it was that or we would have to close a shelter and that wasn’t an option.

Ridas

Pay to play forum
Hhmm, I can relate. We had a few months with shortage of staff aswell, where I reached my limit, but sounds like you went a bit beyond it. I didn't want to sound harsh, just concerned, because I know these situations.

Just take care of yourself. I know, that for me at least, all the bad habits from stronger depressed phases creep back in, when I am in a lot of stress at work and feeling responsible to keep everything open and going for at risk people is a difficult situation.

Anyway, good luck onward! I hope you keep doing well Fuck depression.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Hhmm, I can relate. We had a few months with shortage of staff aswell, where I reached my limit, but sounds like you went a bit beyond it. I didn't want to sound harsh, just concerned, because I know these situations.

Just take care of yourself. I know, that for me at least, all the bad habits from stronger depressed phases creep back in, when I am in a lot of stress at work and feeling responsible to keep everything open and going for at risk people is a difficult situation.

Anyway, good luck onward! I hope you keep doing well Fuck depression.

Yeah, it had got pretty out of control. My boss always told me he was worried about my burnout but I just put my head down and powered through because what other option did I have? I wasn't getting help from him, I think the beginning of the end was when I did bring it up during one of my supervision meetings with him and he said "you think it's bad now you shoulda been here 6 months before you got here." I let him know that wasn't the flex he thought it was, and he didn't appreciate it.

I lived almost an hour away from the shelters, and our crisis on-call was supposed to rotate between 4 people, each taking a week. On-call only paid an extra $100 per 7 days you were on it, so I lost money when it came to paying for gas, more so when the 4-person rotation turned into me taking it 3 weeks and then two case managers sharing it for a week. I was sleeping in my car multiple times a week and my wife was convinced I was going to die falling asleep at the wheel. I built up almost 400 hours of PTO in 2022 due to the high workload.

During this time, we were supposed to have a staff of 13, I had between 6 and 7 depending on the month. So while covering call-ins and shifts we just didn't have coverage for, I was still doing my job of running both shelter's operations, which is hard to do when you're check-in on sleeping youth (eyes on) every 15 minutes while they are in their rooms because of state licensing guidelines.

I'll never work in public housing again and I doubt I'll ever work for a nonprofit again either unless it's one I get off the ground again at some point in the future. My new job starts in a week, its 40 hours a week Monday - Friday 9am-5pm and I supervise no one I still get to work with at-risk communities and populations. I'm really looking forward to it and mentally, I'm in a much better place than I've been in, in a long time. I didn't realize how much of a toll my job had taken on me and I'm glad to be done with it. I do miss the kids though, I hope they do well moving forward.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users