Depression

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Decided to browse through the study:

- Moderate to high excercise (along w/ all the normal socio-economic/etc factors) was accounted/adjusted for in the study.
- Only dietary creatine was considered (supplemental users excluded)
- Most significant findings among women between 20 and 39
- Interesting findings, needs a more targeted/specific study

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
Decided to browse through the study:

- Moderate to high excercise (along w/ all the normal socio-economic/etc factors) was accounted/adjusted for in the study.
- Only dietary creatine was considered (supplemental users excluded)
- Most significant findings among women between 20 and 39
- Interesting findings, needs a more targeted/specific study

What are the main sources of dietary creatine?
I'm reading red meat and fish? not sure if accurate.

I eat a lot... way too much red meat.
Fish not so much, I should work on that.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
What are the main sources of dietary creatine?
I'm reading red meat and fish? not sure if accurate.

I eat a lot... way too much red meat.
Fish not so much, I should work on that.
That’s what I read as well, I didn’t follow up with any of my own research.
Other stuff I feel like I can work on that’ll have a broader health effect than just a single compound (Hello sleep and exercise)

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
You really aren't going to increase creatine intake with food. It's just not possible to consume that much meat. Only choice is supplement and that should be in the form of monohydrate creatine powder.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
My best friend died tonight.

Lost my mom, my dad, and now my bro. Needless to say it seems like death follows me. But perhaps thats a bit fatalistic, as everyone loses their parents eventually, but man, this shit will never get easier to deal with.

Is depression a mindset? I have found I have more success just getting angry with myself and forcing myself to think on a different frequency. How do you fix a problem you didnt create or have no chance fixing?

• 6Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord

Lost my mom, my dad, and now my bro. Needless to say it seems like death follows me. But perhaps thats a bit fatalistic, as everyone loses their parents eventually, but man, this shit will never get easier to deal with.

Is depression a mindset? I have found I have more success just getting angry with myself and forcing myself to think on a different frequency. How do you fix a problem you didnt create or have no chance fixing?
Sorry about your friend. Death comes for us all in the end. You can wallow in fear and sorrow about it, or you can use it as a reason to live your life as best you can.

Depression is treatable. How you fix it is up to you. Therapy and/or meditation will help with anything that isn't caused by chemical or physical issues.

Get help if you need it.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Sorry about your friend. Death comes for us all in the end. You can wallow in fear and sorrow about it, or you can use it as a reason to live your life as best you can.

Depression is treatable. How you fix it is up to you. Therapy and/or meditation will help with anything that isn't caused by chemical or physical issues.

Get help if you need it.
Thanks a lot for this reply man. You have no idea how much impact just a few words had.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Started drinking some. Never been a drinker at all. Got nothing else to do. Not like I'm working or driving.

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider

We are creatures of habit. If you can force yourself into a schedule filled with 1-2 more good habits, well you’ve just improved your life ! Baby steps my ninja.

Think of your shitty feeling like the interest on a 30 year mortgage. You have a lot of fucking debt in the beginning - how the hell do you pay this off? Well - the hood habits are like paying extra to get you out of the hole quicker. You still have to get out and it takes time, but cut out heavy drinking or some vice from heavy to light - workout 30 mins no matter what - and you’ll get through it in 1 year vs 5

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>

Consider reading these books:

Art of Living - Sharon Lebell / Epictetus
On the Shortness of Life - Seneca

They are both very short / can be read on the toilet and will help with mindset. There are deeper dives from there.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I won today. Was feeling like garbage this morning, pushed through the bullshit and started moving. Getting way better and corners and cleared my first 60 footer today on the Honda 150R. Was the last lap of the day, finally came together. Damn good day.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

Sorry to hear man. As we all get older, we're going to lose more people. The trick is really that last sentence you typed - how do you fix a problem you didn't create or have no chance of fixing?

You don't. There's nothing you can do. Release yourself from the prison of blame for things that you had nothing to do with. You can't control the weather, you can't beat yourself up if it rains.

Keep your chin up man.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Be careful, some turns into a lot real quick.
Where did the thought come from? just boredom?

Physically cant do anything. A good day I get to walk to the porch and back. Lifting a 7.5 pound barbell saps it out of me for the day and part of the next. I often just collapse and lay on the floor and sleep where i fall. Just waiting to die. wasting away.

• 3Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 2 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Physically cant do anything. A good day I get to walk to the porch and back. Lifting a 7.5 pound barbell saps it out of me for the day and part of the next. I often just collapse and lay on the floor and sleep where i fall. Just waiting to die. wasting away.
Don't have access to thoughts & prayers like or I would. I know that feels, bro. Wish I didn't. Without going into too much detail my body is starting to decline rapidly as well. I have made my decision as to where life will no longer be worth living and am trying to enjoy the time I have left with my family. Hopefully will outlive my parents, but have already talked to them about all this in case that doesn't pan out.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 user

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
How old are you?
What is your lifestyle?
Is this something from an ailment you have?

I have those and more questions.

I would advise against drinking.
Believe me... I am way beyond starting and its fucked up.

Any excuse does it for me to drink heavily... it started once a week... then weekends... and now... at best its every other day.

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
Reading what I said it may have come off as a "savior" vibe...
That is not it... I'm listening, I have my own stuff.
If you have a good endgame, I'd be glad to hear it!

Mr_Bungle

Interstellar Botanist
<Gold Donor>

Disclaimer: I am only 25 and haven't been around the block as many times as everyone else, additionally never officially diagnosed with depression but I have have felt that way for extended periods of time previously.

I'm sorry you're going though all of this immense loss back to back. I watched my cousin and aunt die of inoperable cancer, he was only 27( I was 13 at the time), and still you've lost more than I can imagine having to cope with. What's left of my heart goes out to you brother.

In my experience depression is a 50/50 split between having an accepting mindset and, as cliché as it sounds, letting time wash over you and allowing yourself to feel pain guilt free, even if that means angry crying on the way to work. Granted the former requires an active approach and figuring out what you need to maintain it while the latter is more passive.

As someone who consistently drinks deeply from their bottomless well of anger for over a decade I can absolutely understand where you're coming from. Anger is a very engaging emotion and can no doubt provide a sense of purpose and relief from pain during times like this. Anger is normal and even a healthy motivator if channeled properly. I'm just some borderline lurker but please do your best to feel it but not lose yourself to the anger like I have before, it is very easy to be a slave to an emotion that is so engaging.

I have had some success with my own personal battles by trying to honor the deceased by taking solo trips to places they deemed sacred and soaking it all in .Accepting that you are only one man BUT, can still rely on friends to give you perspective, guidance and support when you are ready for it is incredibly important to realize. You don't have to soldier through his alone man.

• 2Solidarity