Depression

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Force yourself to at least stretch while you are in the middle of all this. Otherwise take heart that it's also an effective diet.

I'm doing it man. I'm walking a few kilometers a day. And the trouble is, I don't have weight to lose. I'm 6'2" and I'm currently at 160 pounds.

But today I was able to sit outside while it was just 65 degrees in the sun. I sat next to my pond, listened to the water splashing, the frogs going crazy, and watched a family of ducks swim about. This ability to take the time to sit and enjoy my surroundings is perhaps the greatest balm for depression that I have personally encountered. No rush on my time, and beautiful surroundings.

• 11Like
Reactions: 10 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I'm doing it man. I'm walking a few kilometers a day. And the trouble is, I don't have weight to lose. I'm 6'2" and I'm currently at 160 pounds.

But today I was able to sit outside while it was just 65 degrees in the sun. I sat next to my pond, listened to the water splashing, the frogs going crazy, and watched a family of ducks swim about. This ability to take the time to sit and enjoy my surroundings is perhaps the greatest balm for depression that I have personally encountered. No rush on my time, and beautiful surroundings.
Force yourself to eat then, too. Or drink your calories. Milkshakes and smoothies etc. Protein might be tough, but you can still get good carbs and water to help keep you going.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Force yourself to eat then, too. Or drink your calories. Milkshakes and smoothies etc. Protein might be tough, but you can still get good carbs and water to help keep you going.

My son is making a lot of milkshakes for me with fruit from the garden. I'm working on it man. Taking in all I can. Protein included.

• 1Like

pwe

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
My training buddy for 3 years (on a crossfit-like team) appears to have killed himself. He was one of those very extroverted people, upbeat and talking to everyone at the gym. Everyone knew him and liked him. Suddenly he stopped showing up, and only answered messages after days, with very vague answers. After a month or so he read them, but stopped responding. After another month he didn't read the messages. Multiple people sent him messages, but no answers for anyone.

After a while I found his sister online, and asked if she knew anyting. She said she only had very few words, but that she had lost her beloved big brother. Yesterday I learned that he had told the trainer (a woman) that life was hard for him and he didn't know what to do with himself and the future. I know he badly wanted kids, but he was not very attractive (sorry dude) and more the kind women would talk to at the gym, but probably never date. One of the dispensable men of our time. 40 years old.

Just a personal story, not really of interest to anyone who didn't know him. But it seems this thread was a suitable place to vent a little.

Last edited:
  • 8Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 9 users

KDow

Blackwing Lair Raider
My son is making a lot of milkshakes for me with fruit from the garden. I'm working on it man. Taking in all I can. Protein included.

Also, Willow Tree Cranberry Walnut Chicken Salad is like 300 calories a fucking spoonful. My wife lost her appetite as well and I could at least make her do that periodically and it wasn't like staring a whole sandwich down which was just too daunting.

Also weed.

• 1Like

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Chemo making it so I shouldn't go out in public much, killing my strength and appetite. I feel like shite all the time. Definite depression creeping in. I think if I let myself I could stay in bed all damned day.

But there is an end in sight, so I try to focus on that.
Fuck cancer bro, keep your chin up. I know we are all anonymous internet friends and stuff but seriously, we are on your side.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Chemo making it so I shouldn't go out in public much, killing my strength and appetite. I feel like shite all the time. Definite depression creeping in. I think if I let myself I could stay in bed all damned day.

But there is an end in sight, so I try to focus on that.

My buddy of 20 some years of Everquest made it thru chemo hell, and wouldn't wish it on anyone.

He's good now, so rest when you can and hold on till it's over. I'll send one up to whatever deity created us that the clowns hate for ya.

• 1Like

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Is there a name for a condition that’s like the opposite of entitled?

like where you obey all the rules, laws and traditions of society and get nowhere, then you look around and you see other people who don’t obey all of the above and are constantly being rewarded?

• 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>

like where you obey all the rules, laws and traditions of society and get nowhere, then you look around and you see other people who don’t obey all of the above and are constantly being rewarded?

Being a doormat I guess. Eh maybe not. Might just be being a bitch. I’m definitely a bitch.

Palum

what Suineg set it to

White

• 4Worf
  • 1Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>

Scheduling time to do nothing is the best thing anyone with a busy life can do.*

*Gaming and shitposting doesn't count as busy, neither does substance abuse.

Since you are Dutch, there must be some nice nature you can reach by bike?

If it doesn't work out we can meet. So work on the other stuff!

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
I'm really struggling with alcoholism. Fucked up really bad last night but somehow I'm alive and not sitting in jail. I deserve worse and the people in my life deserve better. I definitely need help but I don't know where to start.

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I'm really struggling with alcoholism. Fucked up really bad last night but somehow I'm alive and not sitting in jail. I deserve worse and the people in my life deserve better. I definitely need help but I don't know where to start.
Find a hobby you love that keeps you away from the couch. If you aren't super overweight pick up a decent hardtail mountain bike and find local trails. Chasing the progression is waaay better than drinking and therapy all in one. After a week or so of hard but fun exercise drinking will only make you feel like shit.

Just don't do the shit that others make look easy because it ain't take it slow and try not to get hurt.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Find a hobby you love that keeps you away from the couch. If you aren't super overweight pick up a decent hardtail mountain bike and find local trails. Chasing the progression is waaay better than drinking and therapy all in one. After a week or so of hard but fun exercise drinking will only make you feel like shit.

Just don't do the shit that others make look easy because it ain't take it slow and try not to get hurt.
Alternatively, pick up 40k because you won't be able to afford alcohol.

• 5Worf
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>

I'm not convinced there is anything anyone can do or say to help. A lot of these things, depression, alchoholism. At least for me there needed to be a fucking metanoia of sorts. Something life altering where you just say, ok this is what I want out of the rest of my life, and I'm going to completely change every aspect of my lifestyle. Maybe something scares you, maybe someone dies, maybe you just walk outside and see the sunrise and some chemicals in your brain make you come to the realization from this day onward you are reborn. People can say things and try to help, but it needs to be you.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I'm not convinced there is anything anyone can do or say to help. A lot of these things, depression, alchoholism. At least for me there needed to be a fucking metanoia of sorts. Something life altering where you just say, ok this is what I want out of the rest of my life, and I'm going to completely change every aspect of my lifestyle. Maybe something scares you, maybe someone dies, maybe you just walk outside and see the sunrise and some chemicals in your brain make you come to the realization from this day onward you are reborn. People can say things and try to help, but it needs to be you.

no to the first part, yes to the second.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users