Desktop Computers

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

gak

<Gold Donor>
I'm assuming Intel's real "job" for him is to spill the beans on AMD's cpu plans for the next 10 years.

With intel's new toothpaste design, they can't allow Raj to make a vega-like igpu because the heat would glass the cpu like Nagasaki.

r.jpg

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
I just don't get it. Guy oversaw the design of two garbage architectures and he fails upwards? Must be nice to be more valued for your connections than competency.
Lol, he is better than the poor chaps Intel has been stuck designing their GPUs with.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
So after going back in forth on parts I finally pulled the trigger on a EVGA 1070 for $399 seems like a good deal. I guess some people bought it through newegg and could get some discount through ebates of whatever that shit is never used it. I see 1080's going for like $500 now but fuck it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...deals&linkId=a8c5c694e8121d0178d2adeb0a17a90b

I almost bought an i5-7600k last night since they were down to $190 but I am holding off for the i5-8600k which still isn't in stock anywhere I can tell.

I think I am gonna snag this memory since it seems to be about $100 less than the others. Anyone have any recent experience with tiger direct?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4787&MobileOptOut=1

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I think I'll probably upgrade in 1-1.5 years. That should put the 8000 series at a reasonable price bracket, let me upgrade to nvme cheaply and carry over my 1070. Plus that will place my current computer at ~6ish years old which is getting on in age.

Hopefully by that point actual gaming monitors will catch up and nVidia will at least support freesync.

Also world peace and shit like that will happen by then I'm sure.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Haven't used tiger express since like 1997 but that ram is good shit

Still not sure why it's 1/2 the price of pretty much anywhere else. I went ahead and order it though we'll see if Tiger Direct is still decent or I get bamboozled.

All that's left is CPU and Mobo and I can be done with this shit for a while.

The lack of availability does kind of make me go with this Ryzen shit instead just for intel being cunty.

gak

<Gold Donor>
I was able to buy an 8700k a few days ago pretty easily.

What motherboard you running her on, how's she perform ?

Buddy of mine was gonna go 7700 but luckily held off and 8700 looks sweet.

t.gif

• 1Picard

Del

Vyemm Raider
What motherboard you running her on, how's she perform ?

Buddy of mine was gonna go 7700 but luckily held off and 8700 looks sweet.

View attachment 156353
Hasn't gotten here just yet. Going to put a whole new system together so I'm still buying parts. I'm leaning towards going with the ASRock Taichi board, but I'm going to wait a week or 2 and see if any of the retailers do any decent sales for the z370 boards. I still need to buy a monitor that's going to take advantage of these extra framerates as well lol.

• 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Well Tiger direct are faggots they canceled my order stating that the ram was a pricing error.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Is a 1060 powerful enough to run something like a 34 inch ultra wide 144hz monitor? I'm kind of tempted but not if I have to spend an additional 500 to get something like a 1080

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well Tiger direct are faggots they canceled my order stating that the ram was a pricing error.
They do that, had it happen to me 3-4 times while building machines over the years. If it's too good to be true and it's on their site chances are you're not gonna get it at that price. Most heart breaking of the bunch was when they supposedly mispriced a GTX 970 for like $120 under normal retail.

Elerion

N00b
So I'm thinking I might upgrade my gear around Black Friday. The bulk of what I have is 6 years old now, with GPU and monitor upgraded 3 years ago.

Have now:
Tower: Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl
PSU: Corsair HX 650W PSU
MB: ASUS P8P67 PRO B3, Socket-1155
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Processor
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 8GB CL9
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4GB
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5" SSD
HDD2: Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB
Monitor: AOC 24" LED G-Sync g2460Pg (1080, 144hz, g-sync)

Budget is kind of whatever, I can afford it. But I'm kind of a jew and won't bother paying out the ear for the latest & greatest unless it saves me money in the long run. I also don't give a shit if I get 250 or 200 fps or if I have a gazillion pixels. I just want stable 100+ fps in everything at a reasonable resolution. 1080 has served me well, but I guess it would be better to spec for 1440 or higher if I'm upgrading anyway.

Ideally I want to use the new rig for 5 years without upgrading much other than GPU.

1. Is this a good time to buy?
2. What should I get?
3. Is it worth buying everything new so I can sell the old rig complete? It does play everything, after all.

Any tips would be appreciated.

edit: Oh yeah, the SSD is kinda new so I'd probably keep that and shove my old 150gb in there.

Last edited: