Desktop Computers

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Man is it just me, or have bit-coin miners fucked everyone?

Nothing I have seen, so far, for Cyber Monday or Black Friday comes even close to last years deals ...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
For the first time ever I'm starting to feel a little bit bottlenecked with my CPU. I've been running the same i7-2600k @3.9ghz for years now, but at 4k on Windows 10 I'm getting obscenely high CPU usage spikes which is tanking my FPS.

I just assumed it was my GPU before now, but since upgrading to a 1080Ti and checking my usage I've noticed my CPU going fucking mental.

I could also do some new RAM seeing as I'm on 16Gb DDR3.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm still rocking a 2500k and just upgraded to a 970 gpu about 18 months ago. Gonna ride this sandy bridge into the sunset!

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Man is it just me, or have bit-coin miners fucked everyone?

Nothing I have seen, so far, for Cyber Monday or Black Friday comes even close to last years deals ...
They really fucked over people with gpus in the last year.

Sort of related question but any guys with hardwood floors? What do you out under your computer chair beneath the desk so it's not constantly rolling on the floor?

I have a rug but it's constantly moving and pissing me off.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Great Sale on the monitors I have at $339. I bought all three of mine around $500 per.

ASUS MG278Q Black 27" 144 Hz (GTG) WQHD HDMI Widescreen 2560 x 1440 LED Monitor, Adaptive-Sync (Free-Sync), Ergonomic Gaming Performance, Pivot & Height Adjustable (1000:1) Built-in Speakers - Newegg.com

They really fucked over people with gpus in the last year.

Sort of related question but any guys with hardwood floors? What do you out under your computer chair beneath the desk so it's not constantly rolling on the floor?

I have a rug but it's constantly moving and pissing me off.

Deflect O Chair Mat For Hard Floors Wide Lip 36 x 48 Black by Office Depot & OfficeMax

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
So I've got a 4k monitor at 60hz that looks pretty great, but I'm considering picking up a 144hz monitor, and relegating the 4k monitor to a secondary display or even giving it to a friend to use.

Would you consider a 144hz monitor to be better or worse for gaming than a 4k monitor at 60hz? I haven't experienced PC gaming at 144hz as of yet so I wouldn't mind some feedback on it.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
So I've got a 4k monitor at 60hz that looks pretty great, but I'm considering picking up a 144hz monitor, and relegating the 4k monitor to a secondary display or even giving it to a friend to use.

Would you consider a 144hz monitor to be better or worse for gaming than a 4k monitor at 60hz? I haven't experienced PC gaming at 144hz as of yet so I wouldn't mind some feedback on it.

All else being equal, I'd rather game on a 1440 144hz monitor that a 4k at 60hz.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I scrolled up and saw that Dell one, which I should really get, but I'm just going to put off upgrading stuff until like March ish

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Ending up pulling the trigger on this: LG 25UM56-P 25" Class 21:9 UltraWide IPS Gaming Monitor 2560 x 1080 5ms GTG 60Hz 5,000,000:1 Contrast Ratio with Black Stabilizer and Dynamic Action Link, SRGB Over 99% and 4-Screen Split - Newegg.com

I kinda regret not waiting until Cyber Monday, but it seemed solid for a sub <$200(my price range) monitor. With promo code it was $115 and my current monitor is from 2009, so it was time to do something.

Should I wait for Cyber Monday before settling on a video card? I almost went with one of the 1060s, but I really fucking hate mail-in rebates.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
60hz :(

What card are you upgrading from? I'm not even sure I'd bother if you aren't going to push true 1440p+ or over 60hz unless it's ancient.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
60hz :(

What card are you upgrading from? I'm not even sure I'd bother if you aren't going to push true 1440p+ or over 60hz unless it's ancient.

Upgrading from a 760, so it's definitely ancient. Also, I've heard from a lot of people that 144hz isn't really necessary unless you plan to play FPS' fairly competitively?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Upgrading from a 760, so it's definitely ancient. Also, I've heard from a lot of people that 144hz isn't really necessary unless you plan to play FPS' fairly competitively?

Necessary? No. But it is really nice and I will try to always keep my FPS in that range.