Desktop Computers

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
What is a good 27" 1440 144hz monitor going for these days? Considering going balls out and getting one for my main monitor and keeping my 70hz 27" for a secondary. It must have a Vesa mount.

Bought this awhile back and love it, could be better stuff out now as I haven't kept up if anything better has come out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
We have 32 gb on our $3500 CAD workstations at work, loading up entire cockpit modules along with all the body in white data and still barely touch 16 gb of ram. 32 is way the fuck overkill for anything you chumps will be doing at home.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
We have 32 gb on our $3500 CAD workstations at work, loading up entire cockpit modules along with all the body in white data and still barely touch 16 gb of ram. 32 is way the fuck overkill for anything you chumps will be doing at home.

Streaming music is really fucking memory intensive, from what I've learned from this thread.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Wife's computer hasn't been working, assumed it was the video card because it was turning on but there was no video signal and I tried different cords/monitors. Turns out it was either a stick of ram or the MB. Turns on fine with either 1 of the sticks in, but not both. Shit is super old and she basically only plays shit like the Sims, Rollercoaster sims, or WoW. E8400.

I really don't want to buy more Ram for that old of a pc so I was considering upgrading my cpu/mb/ram. I wanted to wait until next year and go top of the line but I might not be able to wait much longer. I think I may still try to hold out for closer to BF.

I game some but mostly work on my computer with the need to run at least one VM and occasionally do have need to edit video and shit so I was thinking something like a 2700x, probably 16 GB of ram, and a decent MB. Anything coming out near BF that would be better for my use situation?

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Pick 2. 1440p, 144hz, G-Sync. You can get 2 without the price being absurd, but if you want all 3 you're fucked.
Gsync is the most expensive of those options it seems. 1080p gsync is still $400. :(

• 1WTF

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Pick 2. 1440p, 144hz, G-Sync. You can get 2 without the price being absurd, but if you want all 3 you're fucked.

I guess I'm confused, I thought G-Sync was just a fancy word for 144hz. I guess I need to read up on that.

• 1Like

Rham

Trakanon Raider
I got all three for a decent price.

I decided to pull the trigger on this item at Best buy when it was on sale for $449. I had talked the wife into it. Pulled it up on the website to show her what I wanted and the thing was on sale for $379. I said, " No more talk, we have to go now!"

• 1Like

Mick

<Gold Donor>
I got mine on sale too a couple of months ago. I am thinking about getting a second one.

• 1Like

Crone

That's a hell of a best buy deal considering they have it at $599.99 right now. Nice one. I'm setting up a slickdeals alert for it.

Crone

Buddy I work with is single, lives at home, and so has expendable income. So he bought a computer, and put it together, and then he built another one, just so he could build another machine, more focused on a compact build. But he has no use for these extra parts and said he'd sell em too me pretty cheap.

The cards are the RX 580's, and I have a GTX 970, so not really a reason to switch there. My processor is the oldie but a goodie i5-2500k , and he's got a Ryzen 5 1600, and one with a Ryzen 7 1700. I know both would be better than my current processor, but what kinda deal should I be looking for to make it worth doing this, instead of going with a 8700k? I don't play the latest and greatest games, but if I do, lower graphics settings doesn't bother me. I don't feel hamstrung right now with my i5-2500k, but I know it's getting pretty long in the tooth.

Would appreciate suggestions.

UserBenchmark: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 vs Intel Core i5-2500K

Edit: While yea, it's better, seeing as I OCed mine to 4.0-4.2ghz , I forget, it's not THAT much better. Given I have a GTX 970, I'm not sure my system is hamstrung at all by any 1 part?

Last edited:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Buddy I work with is single, lives at home, and so has expendable income. So he bought a computer, and put it together, and then he built another one, just so he could build another machine, more focused on a compact build. But he has no use for these extra parts and said he'd sell em too me pretty cheap.

The cards are the RX 580's, and I have a GTX 970, so not really a reason to switch there. My processor is the oldie but a goodie i5-2500k , and he's got a Ryzen 5 1600, and one with a Ryzen 7 1700. I know both would be better than my current processor, but what kinda deal should I be looking for to make it worth doing this, instead of going with a 8700k? I don't play the latest and greatest games, but if I do, lower graphics settings doesn't bother me. I don't feel hamstrung right now with my i5-2500k, but I know it's getting pretty long in the tooth.

Would appreciate suggestions.

UserBenchmark: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 vs Intel Core i5-2500K

Edit: While yea, it's better, seeing as I OCed mine to 4.0-4.2ghz , I forget, it's not THAT much better. Given I have a GTX 970, I'm not sure my system is hamstrung at all by any 1 part?
Ryzen will be a lower TDP (65 watts), with more cores, better multi-threaded performance, better UEFI/BIOS support, and probably higher overhead to overclock.

I'm anti-AMD in every sense of the word, but you guys holding onto your 2xxx series Intel Chips gotta let go eventually.

• 1Like

Crone

Ryzen will be a lower TDP (65 watts), with more cores, better multi-threaded performance, better UEFI/BIOS support, and probably higher overhead to overclock.

I'm anti-AMD in every sense of the word, but you guys holding onto your 2xxx series Intel Chips gotta let go eventually.
I agree and I want to let go, but it's a couple things working against me. First, I don't think I know what I'm missing. I'm like things are fine, I don't need more! When if I would upgrade I'd be like holy shit this is amazing!

Second thing is with 3 kids, I'm slowly accepting the fact that I'm not gonna be able to go blow $1200 plus monitor cost on a whole new setup.

Talked to my buddy again today. For his chip, board, and ram he wants $300.

Edit:
PCPartPicker part list: System Builder - Ryzen 7 1700 3GHz 8-Core - PCPartPicker
Price breakdown by merchant: System Builder - Ryzen 7 1700 3GHz 8-Core - Prices By Merchant - PCPartPicker

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3GHz 8-Core Processor ($219.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - X370 KILLER SLI/ac ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - FORTIS 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($170.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $505.70

Last edited:

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I can also get the mobo/CPU much cheaper than anywhere online for my build at Microcenter. That's where I'll be going when the time comes to get the last two components.