Desktop Computers

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
OK team, I need some help. I built my current PC in 2011 and just realized 8 fucking years have passed and the only thing I've done is upgrade the hard drives and graphics card. Current system is running all games at decent settings but there are some judders/lag spikes when I first load areas in games like Borderlands 3 or Apex Legends. That said, I have been trying to come up with a budget system that will be able to run games like Cyberpunk 2077 when it comes out but I'm not trying for HDR or anything beyond 1440p.

I am looking to replace the system below with this build and these monitors to replace:

Processor: Intel i5-2500 3.30Ghz (4 core)
Motherboard: MSI Z68MA-G45 (B3)
RAM: 16GB (no clue what speed)
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (can I use this with the AMD parts above?)
Monitor: Dell S2409W (main) and Asus VH238H (secondary)

Is this a big upgrade? Is it still true that you cannot use a GeForce graphics card with an AMD mobo/processor? Is 32GB of RAM just serious overkill?

Thanks guys.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
OK team, I need some help. I built my current PC in 2011 and just realized 8 fucking years have passed and the only thing I've done is upgrade the hard drives and graphics card. Current system is running all games at decent settings but there are some judders/lag spikes when I first load areas in games like Borderlands 3 or Apex Legends. That said, I have been trying to come up with a budget system that will be able to run games like Cyberpunk 2077 when it comes out but I'm not trying for HDR or anything beyond 1440p.

I am looking to replace the system below with this build and these monitors to replace:

Is this a big upgrade? Is it still true that you cannot use a GeForce graphics card with an AMD mobo/processor? Is 32GB of RAM just serious overkill?

Thanks guys.
Looks solid. Guy I work with just upgraded to a similar setup but with his "old" 1080ti still in the graphics card slot. He was actually running my old 2500k (16gigs DDR3 ram)and with newer games had started to experience the stuttering in games due to it being bottlenecked. He also went with a ryzen 3600 and 32gigs of ram and it removed his bottleneck and he instantly saw the difference after the upgrade. 32gigs of ram is probably overkill and Nvidia cards work fine in AMD systems. That said double check the ram you got listed and make sure it works well with Ryzen. The ram my coworker initially bought didnt work and he had to order another set. Might want to think about just sticking with teh gtx 1060 a bit longer and save the money from the 5700xt till next year to see what new cards come out.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
GloFo has screwed AMD at pretty much every juncture since their divestiture, so yes, TSMC is probably their main fab for the foreseeable future. Zen 3 is on TSMC 7 nm+.
Yeah glofo was able to fuck AMD good because of AMDs financial position. But with moving to tmsc for 7nm and beyond AMD was able to stop being fucked in the ass nearly as much and now it's glofo that's in a bad financial position. Glofo still does a lot of AMD business though. They are used to supply 12 and 14nm parts that are used in the Ryzen 3000 series still.

Intel is seriously in trouble though. With their 10nm process all but abandoned aside from low core low power laptops, they won't have their 7nm out till 2021, likely 2022. Meanwhile AMD is on track to launch a 5nm CPU in 2021.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Looks solid. Guy I work with just upgraded to a similar setup but with his "old" 1080ti still in the graphics card slot. He was actually running my old 2500k (16gigs DDR3 ram)and with newer games had started to experience the stuttering in games due to it being bottlenecked. He also went with a ryzen 3600 and 32gigs of ram and it removed his bottleneck and he instantly saw the difference after the upgrade. 32gigs of ram is probably overkill and Nvidia cards work fine in AMD systems. That said double check the ram you got listed and make sure it works well with Ryzen. The ram my coworker initially bought didnt work and he had to order another set. Might want to think about just sticking with teh gtx 1060 a bit longer and save the money from the 5700xt till next year to see what new cards come out.

If I could give you 10 likes for this post I would.

Thanks for confirming that info.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
If I could give you 10 likes for this post I would.

Thanks for confirming that info.
I should have clarified the ram he initially bought worked fine in another system but was incompatible with the Ryzen setup.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>

Thanks guys.

I'm not a huge fan of the CX for higher-end builds. I might put it in a budget machine for Grandma, but not a serious gaming rig. Spend another 30 bucks and get yourself something semi-modular and built by a good manufacturer (keep in mind that most PSUs are not made by the brands that put their name on it, so you have to do some digging to figure out who actually did.)

Super Flower makes the Capstones for Rosewill, and they're considered to be among the best along with Seasonic.

If you are OK with non-modular, you could get the S12 III from Seasonic. I have the S12 II in mine and it works just fine, but I will never use another non-modular supply.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
Hmm, doesn’t Global Foundries also make AMDs CPUs, and also skipped 10nm?

Glofo is dead last in terms of foundry tech, even though they license some tech from Samsung.

AMD uses Glofo for chipsets and some low end Ryzen parts on 14nm. They use TSMC for their current CPU's.

Intel is 5 years behind on their own process road map and have given up on 10nm. Who knows if/when they can deliver on 7nm. I'm sure they will get a handle on it, but what a clusterfuck.

TSMC is ready for 5nm next year.

Janx

<Silver Donator>

Thanks guys.
Also, get a good AIO liquid cooler or a good aftermarket air cooler. The ones AMD provides with the CPU really doesnt get the job done. Thing gets pretty hot under the stock cooler once its under load.

• 1Like

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
Nvidia cards have always worked with AMD processors, where are these wives tales coming from?

Liquid cooler for a 3600 non x is pretty overkill, esp at 1440p/75hz. Strongly consider some 140mm case fans; less hassle, money, and points of failure. A modest m2 nvme drive for your os and some faster 16GB ram might also be decent.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah glofo was able to fuck AMD good because of AMDs financial position. But with moving to tmsc for 7nm and beyond AMD was able to stop being fucked in the ass nearly as much and now it's glofo that's in a bad financial position. Glofo still does a lot of AMD business though. They are used to supply 12 and 14nm parts that are used in the Ryzen 3000 series still.

Intel is seriously in trouble though. With their 10nm process all but abandoned aside from low core low power laptops, they won't have their 7nm out till 2021, likely 2022. Meanwhile AMD is on track to launch a 5nm CPU in 2021.
jesus fuck this is scary

400aee40ab030bde08f8d87ea91feaab.png

mr moore when will you die?

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Nvidia cards have always worked with AMD processors, where are these wives tales coming from?

Liquid cooler for a 3600 non x is pretty overkill, esp at 1440p/75hz. Strongly consider some 140mm case fans; less hassle, money, and points of failure. A modest m2 nvme drive for your os and some faster 16GB ram might also be decent.

Ok, how many extra 140mm case fans?

Also, how much faster does the RAM need to be to make an actual difference?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Ok, how many extra 140mm case fans?

Also, how much faster does the RAM need to be to make an actual difference?

Depends on the case. 2 as intake is nice, and one as main exhaust if the case can manage it (most rear fan mounts are 120mm max) Don't worry about 140 too much. Certainly nice to have (especially when it comes to more air for less noise) but it won't kill your build if you just go with 120

• 1Like

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
Atleast 3 fans since the case comes with a free 120 in the back, <10$ per fan. 3600 cl16 ram can get you an extra 5-10% overall performance over 3000 mhz for an extra $20.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I have two Noctua NF-P14s' for my intakes and they're beastly. They rarely ever have to go above 40%

I really wish my case could handle one in the back though. I have to have the 120mm running high RPM just to keep up with them.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users