Desktop Computers

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I posted in another thread(which lead me here thankfully) and figured I would check in. I obviously did not read all 229 pages, but I did read the last 20 or so and have some good notes.

Basically I have no desire to build a computer, but it is time for an upgrade. I do not need top of the line as I don't really game at that level, but I'd like something that can last a few years, keeping in mind my gaming these days is not the top tier FPS crap, but mostly just little steam games with the occasional one that needs some extra HP. I also do a little editing of GoPro stuff, but nothing professional level, still right now it takes hours for MAGIX to process my video's, cutting back on that would be nice.

Here is what I gathered as a summary, would appreciate any input:

• Don't bother with i7 at this point, go to i9. However does it matter which i9? I'm not that tech savy
  • I am not a GPU fanatic, but is there anything I should specifically stay *away* from? Kind of like the i7 thing above, what should be the minimum I look at?
  • Any recommendations on a site/company that sells pre-made ones that show up and I plug in? I could get down and dirty if I had to, but I'd really prefer not to waste my time. But if there is some awesome deal where I just need to swap a part or two bought from a different site I don't mind that. Though giving up a warranty may not be worth it. I had an Alienware before(i know I know) but it worked fine for my purposes for years. Still works actually, it's just now showing age. They seem to be owned by DELL and I also found a site iBUYPOWER, but never heard of them before this, so that should show my level of gaming :)

Not sure if I am missing any other obvious points from the last set of posts.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I posted in another thread(which lead me here thankfully) and figured I would check in. I obviously did not read all 229 pages, but I did read the last 20 or so and have some good notes.

Basically I have no desire to build a computer, but it is time for an upgrade. I do not need top of the line as I don't really game at that level, but I'd like something that can last a few years, keeping in mind my gaming these days is not the top tier FPS crap, but mostly just little steam games with the occasional one that needs some extra HP. I also do a little editing of GoPro stuff, but nothing professional level, still right now it takes hours for MAGIX to process my video's, cutting back on that would be nice.

Here is what I gathered as a summary, would appreciate any input:

• Don't bother with i7 at this point, go to i9. However does it matter which i9? I'm not that tech savy
  • I am not a GPU fanatic, but is there anything I should specifically stay *away* from? Kind of like the i7 thing above, what should be the minimum I look at?
  • Any recommendations on a site/company that sells pre-made ones that show up and I plug in? I could get down and dirty if I had to, but I'd really prefer not to waste my time. But if there is some awesome deal where I just need to swap a part or two bought from a different site I don't mind that. Though giving up a warranty may not be worth it. I had an Alienware before(i know I know) but it worked fine for my purposes for years. Still works actually, it's just now showing age. They seem to be owned by DELL and I also found a site iBUYPOWER, but never heard of them before this, so that should show my level of gaming :)

Not sure if I am missing any other obvious points from the last set of posts.
If you are not that into blasting the lastest games, you should go with an AMD CPU. They are just better for everything else.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't specifically know why you'd avoid an i7. They're very cost effective

I don't have any personal stake in the game, but based on reading the last 20 pages or so it sounded like i9 was fairly superior and then a new processor is coming out which would place i7 two generations behind? Basically not worth it unless there is some huge cost savings. I may very well be wrong which is why I came here to the "experts" :)

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I don't have any personal stake in the game, but based on reading the last 20 pages or so it sounded like i9 was fairly superior and then a new processor is coming out which would place i7 two generations behind? Basically not worth it unless there is some huge cost savings. I may very well be wrong which is why I came here to the "experts" :)
You want an AMD I promise. I say this as someone who's never owned an AMD, but it is definitely better for your use case.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
What's the short story? Is AMD just better processor for the cost or better all around? And which AMD chipset/name is the one I would want?

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
What's the short story? Is AMD just better processor for the cost or better all around? And which AMD chipset/name is the one I would want?

TL;DR:
Ryzen 3000 / Matisse / Zen 2 is generally within 5% of Intel offerings in games and significantly ahead in crypto, productivity, and all other applications for a lower price and with fewer Spectre-derived security holes. It is very likely AMD will be definitively ahead of Intel in all applications once desktop Ryzen 4000 / Vermeer / Zen 3 drops later this year.

X570 is the top-tier chipset, but it's arguably overkill unless you are planning on multiple GPUs or are really deadset on futureproofing with PCIe v4 (basically no GPUs saturate PCIe v3; the only thing that may derive some benefit is a top-tier Samsung NVME solid state, but the improvement on a SATA vs NVME SSD is much less than HDD to a SSD in general).

B450 is the mid-grade chipset, and as long as you get a good quality one, should be fine for overclocking anything up to a 6c/12t Ryzen CPU. They'd also be fine handling an 8c/16t on stock.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Is AMD just better processor for the cost or better all around?
tl;dr Intel is faster, if you pair a 9700/9900k with a 2080 or 2080ti for 1080p gaming on a 144hz monitor or better. If you are at 1440P or higher, the difference is negligible to mostly nonexistent.

Second reason not to go Intel is they are riddled with security flaws that continue to kill performance with every mitigation patch.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My takeaway from a lot of research is the i9 wins for gaming and the amd wins for workload. Depends on what you value most. Keep in mind a 3900x and a 9900k are within a few percent of each other and cost roughly the same

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ok, checked out that site "ibuypower.com"(cheesy name but they seem legit) and put this together.

Operating System :: Windows 10 Home - (64-bit)
Case :: Thermaltake Level 20 MT ARGB Tempered Glass Gaming Case - cs-ther-054
iBUYPOWER Elite Build Package :: None
Case Fans :: 3x [Silent] be quiet! Shadow Wings 2 120mm PWM White Fan
Case Lighting :: None
iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction :: None
iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion :: None
Processor :: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Processor (8x 3.6GHZ/32MB L3 Cache) - Free Upgrade to AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Processor
Processor Cooling :: Asetek 650LX 120mm Liquid Cooling - Ryzen
Memory :: 16 GB [8 GB X2] DDR4-3000 Memory Module - Certified Major Brand Gaming Memory [Free Upgrade to ADATA XPG D10 Memory]
Video Card :: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti - 6GB GDDR6 (VR-Ready)
SLI Bridge :: None
Motherboard :: MSI X570-A PRO -- Gb Lan, ARGB Header (2), USB 3.2 (6 Rear, 4 Front)
Power Supply :: 600 Watt - High Power - 80 PLUS Gold
Advanced Cabling Options :: Standard Default Cables
Primary Hard Drive :: 1 TB WD Green SSD -- Read: 540MB/s, Write: 465MB/s - Single Drive
Data Hard Drive :: 1 TB Seagate Barracuda Hard Drive -- 64MB Cache, 7200RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive
External Optical Drive :: None
Media Card Reader / Writer :: None
Sound Card :: 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Network Card :: Intel Pro 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Network Card
USB Expansion Card :: None
Limited Time Offer ::[$5] - iBUYPOWER MEK 3 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard [Blue Switches] ($49 Value)

Only major questions now are:

1. Worth it to upgrade to AMD Ryzen 9 3900X Processor (12x 3.8GHZ/64MB L3 Cache) for $159. I wouldn't say money is no object, but I am trying not to fall for the ignorant "bigger is better" thing for some marginal gain I won't notice
  2. I have been out of the video card loop for years. Should I upgrade that? 6gb of ram on it seems weak but they listed about 30 options so Im out of my element.
  3. I paid extra for some silent fan upgrade, 60$. Does that shit really work silently? I hate PC noise though I understand it's impossible to avoid it all
  4. Did I miss anything else major? I don't need monitors. I have a HD array at home for long term storage, got the SSD for OS and games I play most often, 1TB for other crap is enough for me.

• 1Like

Nester

Vyemm Raider
From what i am seeing there seems to be a value sweet spot with the following:

AMD Ryzen 3700X CPU & RTX 2060
I am thinking of doing a combo of these with a 1tb ssd and 16g ram. Is their much difference between 2666mhz and 3200mhz in ram?
I read that the Ryzen really uses the higher end ram well.

Any comment on the above would be helpful.

This Dell looks like a beast at only $2699 CDN ($1910 USD) with the discount.

Looks top of the line, I would buy it now but "Ships in 32–36 business days" scares the fuck out of me.
Plus i want to use it during quarantine !

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Ok, checked out that site "ibuypower.com"(cheesy name but they seem legit) and put this together.

Operating System :: Windows 10 Home - (64-bit)
Case :: Thermaltake Level 20 MT ARGB Tempered Glass Gaming Case - cs-ther-054
iBUYPOWER Elite Build Package :: None
Case Fans :: 3x [Silent] be quiet! Shadow Wings 2 120mm PWM White Fan
Case Lighting :: None
iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction :: None
iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion :: None
Processor :: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Processor (8x 3.6GHZ/32MB L3 Cache) - Free Upgrade to AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Processor
Processor Cooling :: Asetek 650LX 120mm Liquid Cooling - Ryzen
Memory :: 16 GB [8 GB X2] DDR4-3000 Memory Module - Certified Major Brand Gaming Memory [Free Upgrade to ADATA XPG D10 Memory]
Video Card :: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti - 6GB GDDR6 (VR-Ready)
SLI Bridge :: None
Motherboard :: MSI X570-A PRO -- Gb Lan, ARGB Header (2), USB 3.2 (6 Rear, 4 Front)
Power Supply :: 600 Watt - High Power - 80 PLUS Gold
Advanced Cabling Options :: Standard Default Cables
Primary Hard Drive :: 1 TB WD Green SSD -- Read: 540MB/s, Write: 465MB/s - Single Drive
Data Hard Drive :: 1 TB Seagate Barracuda Hard Drive -- 64MB Cache, 7200RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive
External Optical Drive :: None
Media Card Reader / Writer :: None
Sound Card :: 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Network Card :: Intel Pro 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Network Card
USB Expansion Card :: None
Limited Time Offer ::[$5] - iBUYPOWER MEK 3 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard [Blue Switches] ($49 Value)

Only major questions now are:

1. Worth it to upgrade to AMD Ryzen 9 3900X Processor (12x 3.8GHZ/64MB L3 Cache) for $159. I wouldn't say money is no object, but I am trying not to fall for the ignorant "bigger is better" thing for some marginal gain I won't notice
  2. I have been out of the video card loop for years. Should I upgrade that? 6gb of ram on it seems weak but they listed about 30 options so Im out of my element.
  3. I paid extra for some silent fan upgrade, 60$. Does that shit really work silently? I hate PC noise though I understand it's impossible to avoid it all
  4. Did I miss anything else major? I don't need monitors. I have a HD array at home for long term storage, got the SSD for OS and games I play most often, 1TB for other crap is enough for me.

Make sure you do NOT get their generics where it matters. My bud went with their liquid cooling and no name hard drive. Both failed within months. He swapped the drive, but when the cooler went he returned the box. They gave him a proc upgrade for the trouble. That was pretty cool.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
WRT to Rangoth Rangoth post above.

I also would love to hear how people think the:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti - 6GB GDDR6 (VR-Ready)
compares to
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2060 6GB GDDR6 (OC Ready)

Thanks for all your help

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Looks top of the line, I would buy it now but "Ships in 32–36 business days" scares the fuck out of me.
Plus i want to use it during quarantine !

Same boat lol, that's what has kind of pushed me to do this as well.....fucking covid. I wouldn't buy it if it said 30+ days :) I am looking for instant gratification and under 2k roughly speaking.

• 1Like

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Make sure you do NOT get their generics where it matters. My bud went with their liquid cooling and no name hard drive. Both failed within months. He swapped the drive, but when the cooler went he returned the box. They gave him a proc upgrade for the trouble. That was pretty cool.

I hear you but this is where I was thinking why not. They have a 3 year warrenty....and that's one of the major reasons I don't wanna build my own. No hassle. Something goes wrong I ship it back. Plus the free upgrade for their fuckup sounds ok by me :)

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I hear you but this is where I was thinking why not. They have a 3 year warrenty....and that's one of the major reasons I don't wanna build my own. No hassle. Something goes wrong I ship it back. Plus the free upgrade for their fuckup sounds ok by me :)

Oh I would use them. No doubt. Just get the named brand shit.