Desktop Computers

Pops

I bought a Dell box a few years ago with a 1080Ti should I upgrade? I hate being a loser but how much does it matter?

Louis

Trakanon Raider
I bought a Dell box a few years ago with a 1080Ti should I upgrade? I hate being a loser but how much does it matter?

If it were me I would sit on the 1080ti until the next line releases. I think the ti is inline with the 2080 but the 2080 has ray tracing.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Or DLSS right? The latest 2.0 update to Control seems to be really good. Although that might be the only game really using it at the moment.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Not a lot of games with it but I think that will change now that Unreal Engine supports it.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
WRT to Rangoth Rangoth post above.

I also would love to hear how people think the:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti - 6GB GDDR6 (VR-Ready)
compares to
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2060 6GB GDDR6 (OC Ready)

Thanks for all your help
I can't imagine going with a 3700x and then pairing it with a 1660. Go with at least a 2060 super (8 GB)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>

I have this old ass motherboard currently, and I'm getting a great deal on a WD Black SN750 m2 drive. Can I just buy a pci adapter for an m2 slot to use that m2 drive as extra storage with that motherboard (just wanting to make sure I'm not missing something obvious)? It will obviously become a boot drive for the new build, but for the time being the extra space will be nice while I wait a few months to do a total rehaul.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I did it and paid for next day shipping(I feel a little like an ass for doing that, but fuck COVID). Final specs, hope I didn't fuck up too badly. I took the AMD advice and also updated to the SUPER 2070, which should give someone who games at my level some longevity(I'm an every 5 year upgrade dude unless there is some very specific game I want to play).

So who wants to play something?

Case:
Thermaltake Level 20 MT ARGB
Processor:
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X Processor (12x 3.8GHZ/64MB L3 Cache)
Motherboard:
ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WiFi)
Memory:
16GB [8GB x 2] DDR4-3200MHz ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D41 RGB - White
Video Card:
MSI VENTUS GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER - 8GB GDDR6 (VR Ready)
Power Supply:
650 Watt - HIGH POWER 80 PLUS Gold
Processor Cooling:
iBUYPOWER 240mm Addressable RGB Liquid Cooling System - Black
Keyboard:
iBUYPOWER RGB Gaming Keyboard
Mouse:
iBUYPOWER Gaming Optical Mouse
Operating System:
Windows 10 Home
Warranty:
3 Year Standard Warranty Service
Warranty:
Three Year Standard Warranty
Rush Service:
2-Day
Game Bundle:
[FREE] - Get Xbox Game Pass for PC Game Bundle - w/ Purchase of AMD Graphics or AMD Processors
Storage:
1TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD
Internal Wireless Network:
On-Board Wireless Network

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I did it and paid for next day shipping(I feel a little like an ass for doing that, but fuck COVID). Final specs, hope I didn't fuck up too badly. I took the AMD advice and also updated to the SUPER 2070, which should give someone who games at my level some longevity(I'm an every 5 year upgrade dude unless there is some very specific game I want to play).

So who wants to play something?

Case:
Thermaltake Level 20 MT ARGB
Processor:
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X Processor (12x 3.8GHZ/64MB L3 Cache)
Motherboard:
ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WiFi)
Memory:
16GB [8GB x 2] DDR4-3200MHz ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D41 RGB - White
Video Card:
MSI VENTUS GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER - 8GB GDDR6 (VR Ready)
Power Supply:
650 Watt - HIGH POWER 80 PLUS Gold
Processor Cooling:
iBUYPOWER 240mm Addressable RGB Liquid Cooling System - Black
Keyboard:
iBUYPOWER RGB Gaming Keyboard
Mouse:
iBUYPOWER Gaming Optical Mouse
Operating System:
Windows 10 Home
Warranty:
3 Year Standard Warranty Service
Warranty:
Three Year Standard Warranty
Rush Service:
2-Day
Game Bundle:
[FREE] - Get Xbox Game Pass for PC Game Bundle - w/ Purchase of AMD Graphics or AMD Processors
Storage:
1TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD
Internal Wireless Network:
On-Board Wireless Network

That's a badass system, and should hold you over for quite awhile. I don't even wanna know what the up charge in buying pre-built is though.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
ibuypower was selling it for like 1750$, which I'm sure I could do way better building it on my own...probably like 1200$ in parts? But it would also take me 2 weeks to order everything individually, I'd have to waste my time building it which is not a personal interest of mine and then I would have to use the warranty on each component separately. Now if something goes wrong I can just call up that ibuypower place and squak.

They have a couple of "ready to go" system options which they sell a bit cheaper than if you customize the same machine, exact same pieces. It was about 2.1-2.2k with the exact same parts if you did the customize and build option.

Added link to the system: Gaming RDY L20IRG201: iBUYPOWER®

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Actually don't think the increase is too bad now that I'm looking at it (didn't run them through pcbuilder or anything to verify). All those parts standalone are probably $1300-1500, and as you said time is definitely money.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
ibuypower was selling it for like 1750$, which I'm sure I could do way better building it on my own...probably like 1200$ in parts? But it would also take me 2 weeks to order everything individually, I'd have to waste my time building it which is not a personal interest of mine and then I would have to use the warranty on each component separately. Now if something goes wrong I can just call up that ibuypower place and squak.

They have a couple of "ready to go" system options which they sell a bit cheaper than if you customize the same machine, exact same pieces. It was about 2.1-2.2k with the exact same parts if you did the customize and build option.

Added link to the system: Gaming RDY L20IRG201: iBUYPOWER®
yeah, that's a pretty nice system. when I went to look at what it would cost to build my exact rig right now, at least half the parts were not available, and those that I could get were universally about 25% more than I paid. good luck with it!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Secretlab Titan coming Thursday, can't wait. I've been using the shittiest chair for 10+ years. Really bothered me this past month working from home.

Still torn on 9900k vs 3900x. Might go 3900x just because the socket isn't changing for 4000 series

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
Secretlab Titan coming Thursday, can't wait. I've been using the shittiest chair for 10+ years. Really bothered me this past month working from home.

Still torn on 9900k vs 3900x. Might go 3900x just because the socket isn't changing for 4000 series

Moar cores = betterer. 3900x also won't cause rolling brownouts in your city when you power it on like the 9900k will.

Make sure to get an x570 board so you have full use of the PCI-E slots and all the SATA ports if you populate the M2 slots with NVME drives.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Going with

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
MSI RTX 2070 8g
MSI B450 Gaming Pls MB
16gb 3200mhz ram
1TB ssd Intel m.2
TT smart 750W PS
Case + Optical drive

$1428 USD from my local shop.
Missing anything obvious?

Only thing i can think to ask them is "Does it have USB-C"
Any thing else i need to know before i pull the trigger? too early to HDMI 2.1?
Want to make sure i don't screw my self on ports that i just don't know i need yet.

Thanks guys, this thread has been a lot of help.

cant wait to say Goodbye GTX 560 TI !

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users