Desktop Computers

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My gf and I are playing PC games in the same room, and we both need to talk into skype or whatever. We got her a desk mic but it's picking up too much sound, and she doesn't like hearing herself coming out of my speakers when she's talking, etc.

Long story short, what's a good PC (win 7) compatible headset with boom mic? Ideally one that fully covers ears. And if it's wireless, how would it connect, via USB receiver thinger? I'm not an xbro so I'm not up on headset stuff, I've used speakers and a desk mic for a decade.
my wife and i both used this zalman lapel mic
Amazon.com: Zalman Zm-Mic1 High Sensitivity Headphone Microphone: Electronics

I was the raid leader so i talked 99% of the whole session, she'd have me on mute since we were in the same room. You can't have speakers cuz that can create that reverb (both) so 1 person has to have headphones. (or just listen to the same speakers, but this doesn't work if you're sometimes pulled into different rooms, as i was since i was raid leader/ leadership).

It's enough that it picks up your voice w/o picking up the "extra" sound of shuffling about, i know cuz since i talked 99% of the time the raid would complain so i had the best sound capture setup at the time. (i also have a dedicated soundblaster, instead of the basic onboard sound)

If you like gaming naked, you can just clip the lapel mic to the headset wire and it'll pick up your voice nicely. (i always used push to talk)

i do have a
Amazon.com: Olympus Microphone ME-52W Noise Cancellation Mic OLY-145055 - ME52 - ME52W: Musical Instruments

for the olympus recorders and stuff, and those pick up everything, kinda not needed.

Oh, my headphones were also open ear btw, in case wife had to talk to me.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Zotac has been around quite a while. They've made motherboards for years. I think their main focus is micro/mini PCs, but I've never heard anything bad about them.

I probably wouldn't expect to be able to push this card very far in overclocking(its a smaller than average size) or anything of that sort, but a stock 970 is still damn powerful, especially at a $250 price

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Zotac will probably be the best for just the basics, nothing super overclocky or flashy, but they've been around for 10 years. Always seem to be aggressively priced.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I think they actually make a lot of the other brand's cards. I seem to recall reading that on Anandtech years ago.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Dell still make the best monitors? Been years since I've upgraded and I'm thinking about grabbing one around Black Friday. Seems like anything over 28in is priced crazy high? At least the ones I've seen at 32in seem to be. Gaming is primary use.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Dell makes good quality monitors that are rather middle of the road in features.

No G-sync or Free-sync, no 144hz. But good build quality.

I have a new 27" and an older 24" from them right now. No complaints.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Dell still make the best monitors? Been years since I've upgraded and I'm thinking about grabbing one around Black Friday. Seems like anything over 28in is priced crazy high? At least the ones I've seen at 32in seem to be. Gaming is primary use.
Get a XB270HU and bask in the glory of it. If you have an Nvidia card, anyways.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I'm not coming up with any compelling reasons not to order this today.

rrr_img_113157.jpg

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I'd go with an i5 over the i7, it just makes no difference from a gaming standpoint. Yet to play a game that has problems with firefox with 20+ tabs, an hd youtube video playing and another game I forgot I had already loaded.

Valos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Can maybe save some bucks via pcpartpicker and shop for the cheapest price. I am thinking of a very similar build in the next month for myself.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I still balk at ever spending 600+ on a video card. No matter how much you spend today, your video card is going to be mediocre in 24 months.

If you want to spend that much, I'd lean towards $500 for SLI 970s over a lone 980Ti. It's more powerful, and $150 cheaper, and both are going to suck ass in 2+ years regardless. Save some dough.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
How much cheaper is a pair of 970s though? An EVGA or something reference is what, like 320$ still? It comes out almost exactly the same price as a TI with a factory OC, and the TI benchmarks almost identical to the SLI setup (usually a few frames lower on max fps, few frames higher on minimum from what I've seen). Just seems like a lot less hassle to never have to deal with SLI issues in games to get basically identical performance and price.