Desktop Computers

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Fuck ASRock and their piece of shit piles of silicon boards that they try and call motherboards, but instead are just instruments intended to brick peoples computers for weeks as you try and work through their ass backwards system to get it fixed.

Jimmies rustled AF BROS!!

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Fuck ASRock and their piece of shit piles of silicon boards that they try and call motherboards, but instead are just instruments intended to brick peoples computers for weeks as you try and work through their ass backwards system to get it fixed.

My Asrock boards have all been legit. No complaints whatsoever.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Layer 8 issue.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Layer 8 issue.
Ha, funny, not funny. According to their forums, they never updated the latest BIOS that is recommended for my motherboard to work with Windows 10. And then the ass backwards system they have to fix it for some users that weren't lucky enough to be able to system restore back to Windows 8, was to mail them a paper check, because they couldn't take any other kind of payment, and then they ship you a new BIOS chip with an older version of BIOS which will allow your motherboard/computer to work again.

This was all posted in the Computer Issues thread back on the old forums. I got lucky and was able to restore back to Windows 8, but after that experience, and seeing their response on the forums, I won't buy their junk anymore. Their response? Sorry, there are too many combinations of motherboards to be able to get them all ready for Windows 10.

Fenriz

Molten Core Raider
Hnnnggg I've ordered everything but the 1070 for the build. Will be spending a little more than I wanted to but worth it. Any insight on a monitor I should get? I like the dell 27" 1440p gsync but its kinda pricey.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Hnnnggg I've ordered everything but the 1070 for the build. Will be spending a little more than I wanted to but worth it. Any insight on a monitor I should get? I like the dell 27" 1440p gsync but its kinda pricey.

I think the dell is a TN panel. I'd avoid those. Get an IPS panel if possible. What type of games do you play? The dell 34" ultra wide can be had for $699-799. Its curved and IPS but only 60hz.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Not sure if it was in this thread, or elsewhere, but someone made a comment along the lines of "if your GPU can maintain 60 fps, you don't need G-Sync" recently. Whoever said that doesn't understand how G-Sync works, and is wrong. Even if your GPU is pushing 100 fps or whatever, G-Sync will still provide a smoother, less laggy gaming experience. If you are a gamer, you absolutely should be using a G-Sync or Free-Sync monitor.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Cyberpower does a decent job with their builds. And honestly, that is not a terrible markup to have it put together for you. They even do decent cable management and provide some warranty. Just make sure they give you decent components and not some cut rate shit.

Just be aware all you will get is their warranty. Most builders use the same models as personal bought stuff, but they have OEM serials on parts. This means no manufacturer warranty. Most PC components if purchased individually will have a 3-5 year manufacturer warranty, and outside of obvious water damage its usually a no questions asked RMA.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Not sure if it was in this thread, or elsewhere, but someone made a comment along the lines of "if your GPU can maintain 60 fps, you don't need G-Sync" recently. Whoever said that doesn't understand how G-Sync works, and is wrong. Even if your GPU is pushing 100 fps or whatever, G-Sync will still provide a smoother, less laggy gaming experience. If you are a gamer, you absolutely should be using a G-Sync or Free-Sync monitor.

I will concur 100% with this. I love my g-sync monitor. in WoW with the invasions, i've had my settings up a bit higher to play with it. I'll drop to 35 FPS at times and it's still smoother than my old monitor by FAR when it dipped that low.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Waiting on bated breath to see how this all plays out.

So, I got the new Origin PC today. And I've spent the last two hours trying to get it booted up.

The first time I tried to boot, it never actually got to the Windows screen and all of the LED's were flashing (they're still flashing two hours later; kill me) bright white.

So, I call support and he walks me through like 4 different methods of trying to fix the issue (he never actually told me what the issue was), none of which worked. Although, we did get it to the Windows screen if I took off the SLI and plugged the monitor into the second GPU. However, the flashing lights remained.

One of the steps he wanted me to follow was going to a program in my Start Menu called "Recover Sentinal", which I guess is their windows recovery software or something?

The only problem being that when I tried to restart the computer, after he got off the gd call knowing the issue wasn't fixed, I'm now stuck in an infinite loop where the PC is trying to fix itself. It attempts to boot, fails, tries again, goes to a blue Automatic Repair screen. If I try to restart from this screen, it tries to "Diagnose" the issue and then fails, resetting the loop and starting over.

FUCK!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So, I got the new Origin PC today. And I've spent the last two hours trying to get it booted up.

The first time I tried to boot, it never actually got to the Windows screen and all of the LED's were flashing (they're still flashing two hours later; kill me) bright white.

So, I call support and he walks me through like 4 different methods of trying to fix the issue (he never actually told me what the issue was), none of which worked. Although, we did get it to the Windows screen if I took off the SLI and plugged the monitor into the second GPU. However, the flashing lights remained.

One of the steps he wanted me to follow was going to a program in my Start Menu called "Recover Sentinal", which I guess is their windows recovery software or something?

The only problem being that when I tried to restart the computer, after he got off the gd call knowing the issue wasn't fixed, I'm now stuck in an infinite loop where the PC is trying to fix itself. It attempts to boot, fails, tries again, goes to a blue Automatic Repair screen. If I try to restart from this screen, it tries to "Diagnose" the issue and then fails, resetting the loop and starting over.

FUCK!
/r/buildapc - Planning on building a computer but need some advice? This is the place to ask!

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Just to throw some more gas on the fire...got my new office computer built and it works great. Put the whole thing together from unboxing the parts to complete windows install in the time it took me to watch 1 preseason football game on Sunday.

i5 6500, 500GB Samsung 850 Evo, 16gb DDR4 2400, and 3 of these :

Dell U2415 Black 24.1" 6ms (GTG) Dual HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor IPS 300 cd/m2 DCR 2,000,000:1 (1000:1), height & Pivot adjustable, Built in USB 3.0 Hub-Newegg.com (got them for $110 apiece refurbished a while back)

Damn fine looking monitors, and tiny, tiny bezels, great for a 3-monitor setup.

Only thing I can't decide is whether or not to actually put a dedicated GPU in it. It will literally never, ever, be playing games of any kind. Just spreadsheets, web browsing, maybe some light media usage(music, videos, etc) Don't know if it would be worth it or not over just relying on the integrated graphics.

Last edited:

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pointless to go dedicated graphics. Save your money! My HTPC runs 1080p HD all day long on an older (last gen) i5. It's never once stuttered for any media playback whatsoever.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
I will concur 100% with this. I love my g-sync monitor. in WoW with the invasions, i've had my settings up a bit higher to play with it. I'll drop to 35 FPS at times and it's still smoother than my old monitor by FAR when it dipped that low.
Gsync/Freesync also eliminates tearing issues you get with Vsync. Everything just looks smooth as butter especially in FPS. Once you play FPS at 144hz with Gsync, you can never go back.