Ahn'Qiraj Raider
136833-175051-175050_rc[1].jpg

This is a computer with a GTX 2080.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
GeForce cards mysteriously begin playing nice with TR's FreeSync monitors

People on Reddit are confirming that they're seeing the same thing with Freesync working with their Nvidia cards & latest drivers.

Edit: My initial testing with my own Freesync monitor is looking good. Things feel incredibly smooth and I'm seeing no tearing when in borderless. It's an older Freesync monitor though and has no FS enabled indicator, so can't 100% verify. There was a Windows update yesterday and I'm wondering if maybe they did something to DWM that hooks into VRR capable displays.

Edit2: This is definitely working. DXMD jumping between 60-90fps at high speeds with no tearing and it's smooth-as-silk

Edit3: Article was updated with a correction, saying it's just DWM Vsync, but things feel much different than they did before testing this out, so something has changed. Gotta wait and see what additional tests come up with to explain it.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
GeForce cards mysteriously begin playing nice with TR's FreeSync monitors

People on Reddit are confirming that they're seeing the same thing with Freesync working with their Nvidia cards & latest drivers.

Edit: My initial testing with my own Freesync monitor is looking good. Things feel incredibly smooth and I'm seeing no tearing when in borderless. It's an older Freesync monitor though and has no FS enabled indicator, so can't 100% verify. There was a Windows update yesterday and I'm wondering if maybe they did something to DWM that hooks into VRR capable displays.

Edit2: This is definitely working. DXMD jumping between 60-90fps at high speeds with no tearing and it's smooth-as-silk

Edit3: Article was updated with a correction, saying it's just DWM Vsync, but things feel much different than they did before testing this out, so something has changed. Gotta wait and see what additional tests come up with to explain it.
Keep us updated!! I've got a gtx 970 and have held off getting a new gfx card or monitors due to expense. However being able to get some free sync monitors would definitely help in the cost department!!

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Keep us updated!! I've got a gtx 970 and have held off getting a new gfx card or monitors due to expense. However being able to get some free sync monitors would definitely help in the cost department!!

I have a second monitor that is also 144hz but isn't gsync or freesync, so I'll do some tests with that tomorrow and see what's up.

It's entirely possible though that what I'm seeing is something fixed with the way DWM has been screwy with vsync for a while, so I'd be comparing a correct baseline to that of a bugged one.

• 1Like

Argarth

On the verandah
I have a second monitor that is also 144hz but isn't gsync or freesync, so I'll do some tests with that tomorrow and see what's up.

It's entirely possible though that what I'm seeing is something fixed with the way DWM has been screwy with vsync for a while, so I'd be comparing a correct baseline to that of a bugged one.

No joy on my setup (driver 411.70 - 1080Ti). Loaded DXMD also, and confirmed I had VSync off in both NVCP and in-game.

My monitor (75Hz refresh) has a Freesync switch in the OSD, and the screen visibly/audibly resets when I toggle it. Tested with Gaming Mode both on & off (also enabled/disabled FS Opt. in the game.exe) and no difference at all for me.

DWM seems to force its own VSync on in Borderless Windowed mode, (presentation mode I think it's called?) regardless of the other settings. Adjusted the quality in MD so FPS was hovering around ~65. Really obvious tearing as expected in FS Exclusive mode. No tearing in BL Windowed, but massive chunking as would also be expected with "VSync" on.

Wasn't this new "forced" vsync in BL Fullscreen introduced in the new WDDM around WIN10 Creators Update?

Will be interesting to see the result of your non-freesync monitor test, but either way, I'm seeing nothing to celebrate you lucky bastard. Stop teasing me! :D

Last edited:

ShakyJake

<Donor>
What's the recommendation for a video card that can run WoW @ 4K at reasonably high settings? I just upgraded to an i7-8700k. My existing card is a GTX 950 which runs WoW beautifully at 1080p, but at 4K it's kind of struggling at mid-range settings.

I do NOT care about other games. WoW is literally the only game I play on the PC.

orionTZ1998

Golden Squire
What's the recommendation for a video card that can run WoW @ 4K at reasonably high settings? I just upgraded to an i7-8700k. My existing card is a GTX 950 which runs WoW beautifully at 1080p, but at 4K it's kind of struggling at mid-range settings.

I do NOT care about other games. WoW is literally the only game I play on the PC.
I think you'd want at least a 1080, probably a 1080ti.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>

4k or 144hz for WoW raiding. - World of Warcraft Forums

Consensus seems to be that 4k isn’t worth it for WoW.

• 1Like

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I bet 4k would be good if you had a 42-50 inch screen for a PC. I used to use a 42 1080p screen mounted to the wall so I could sit my desk back far enough to be comfortable and I thought it was awesome for the time. (and raided in WoW like that forever)

*that said I'd probably go ultra wide instead of 4k for an MMO.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I raided at 4K but the framerate on some fights was abysmal. That's not just the resolution, though. I was doing a bunch of shit at the same time, and my WoW UI probably needs its own GPU.

I ended up switching back to 1080p for WoW. It isn't worth it.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I played at 5760x1080 (3x 1080p monitors) for a while too, and honestly, that was much more awesome than 4K. I was running 3x 780 SLI at the time though, so no idea how that would translate to a single video card.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I played at 5760x1080 (3x 1080p monitors) for a while too, and honestly, that was much more awesome than 4K. I was running 3x 780 SLI at the time though, so no idea how that would translate to a single video card.
Yeah I'm not wanting to do anything crazy. I lucked out finding a 4K monitor at a thrift shop for 16 bucks. I just assumed there existed a sub $300 video card that could run WoW at 4K. Guess not!

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

WoW @ 4k near max settings ranges 60-80% GPU usage on 1080Ti. So a 1080, maybe a 1070ti should be enough. You're going to get frame drops regardless though as WoW is mostly about CPU when it comes to its demanding moments (raids/cities/Suramar) dropping view distance and environmental detail down to 7 helps a lot. You'll also get more mileage by dropping other settings, but then you're losing significant quality which doesn't really mesh well with wanting to play @4k

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Sorry to say that the Freesync thing isn't real. The improvements I was seeing were some improvement to the jitteryness I had been experiencing for some time (some still there, but it's better) likely from something to do with the new drivers or improvements to DWM/Game mode. There has been a significant amount of nvidia driver related latency for a long series of previous drivers which seems to be moderately reduced now, which might explain the improvements I was seeing. TechReport fucked up and I conflated my improvements with their error. Sorry dudes.

I wouldn't give up hope yet though. The frustration over the lack of freesync support is growing, and will grow even more once displays with hdmi 2.1's VRR become more popular. I wouldn't bet on it though.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

TLDR copied from reddit: starting October, US tariffs (+25% on everything coming from China) will raise the end prices of most electronics/PC components by 10-25%, with the expensive parts closer to 25% or even exceeding it due to increased shipping and other costs. Canada will be affected the same way (possibly more due to our import costs until the reversal of the tariffs.