Desktop Computers

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So did some Googling, and I'm for sure bottlenecked by my CPU. Ryzen 7 1700 , at stock speeds, with a 1080 Ti. Watched some videos that showed what overclocking would do and FPS in all games shot up quite a bit. So looking into overclocking now to hopefully give my system a little more oomph!!

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
So I need to upgrade my PC from 2011 soon. Probably in the next 3ish months. However, I want to maybe be lazy about it and use one of those custom PC building companies. Which one is most reputable?

If you really want to go this route (I wouldn't, it's much easier to build a computer these days), then it seems like a place like NZXT is probably the way to go. But be prepared to spend money.

Crone

If you really want to go this route (I wouldn't, it's much easier to build a computer these days), then it seems like a place like NZXT is probably the way to go. But be prepared to spend money.
cyberpowerpc.com , xoticpc.com

Have use XoticPC to build a gaming laptop many years back. Still going strong 5 years later!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So did some Googling, and I'm for sure bottlenecked by my CPU. Ryzen 7 1700 , at stock speeds, with a 1080 Ti. Watched some videos that showed what overclocking would do and FPS in all games shot up quite a bit. So looking into overclocking now to hopefully give my system a little more oomph!!
Overclocking is super easy these days. I get 600MHz on air on my 6700k

Crone

Overclocking is super easy these days. I get 600MHz on air on my 6700k
If I don't jinx myself with this post, it looks like I too will get an extra 600 Mhz outta my R7 1700. Started with trying a setting I found online for 3800Mhz and 1.3 volts. That crashed as soon as Prime95 started, so I just kept dropping it down until Prime95 runs and so far it's been 10 minutes. Gonna let it run for an hour to call it stable though. Stock AMD Wraith air cooler, and temps maxing out at 80C.

My BIOS doesn't have a drop list of voltages to choose from, but I might try dropping the voltage down if 3.6Ghz runs stable. Not sure if it needs 1.3 or not.

Edit: Damn it!! Just shy of the hour mark it crashed. This kinda sucks... not getting shit outta this OC! but could be bad voltages?

Last edited:

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
If I don't jinx myself with this post, it looks like I too will get an extra 600 Mhz outta my R7 1700. Started with trying a setting I found online for 3800Mhz and 1.3 volts. That crashed as soon as Prime95 started, so I just kept dropping it down until Prime95 runs and so far it's been 10 minutes. Gonna let it run for an hour to call it stable though. Stock AMD Wraith air cooler, and temps maxing out at 80C.

My BIOS doesn't have a drop list of voltages to choose from, but I might try dropping the voltage down if 3.6Ghz runs stable. Not sure if it needs 1.3 or not.

Edit: Damn it!! Just shy of the hour mark it crashed. This kinda sucks... not getting shit outta this OC! but could be bad voltages?
tbh if you lasted for an hour on prime95 I would try just using your PC as is for a while and see if you crash while gaming. Odds are it's stable enough

Wage

Molten Core Raider
I desperately need a monitor upgrade and saw this listed on Prime Days
Does that seem like a pretty decent monitor? I am upgrading from a hundred year old Sceptre piece of crap so it is going to be an upgrade, I am just curious if there are better options around a similar price point?

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Same. I keep trying to figure out if I can fit it on my desk and still have a second monitor for work.
That's the big catch for me. I mean I could make it fit, but my second monitor would be pretty far off to the left.

The other catch is that I have from last year, so I already have a pretty good monitor. It's a pretty tough call