Desktop Computers

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
They went on preorder last month and i ordered 2 3-packs

View attachment 301453

weird is mine have been preparing for ship for over a week and the travel time it says is like 8-20 days -

Build i did yesterday for a friend

3900x, 32GB ram, 2080 super, 2 1TB NVME
MSI Case, GPU, Mobo, the case was the Gungnir 100 but i wish it had about half an inch more room on the side for cable management.

View attachment 301512

View attachment 301513

Why would you let someone buy a 2080 right now?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Any brand of motherboard I should avoid? I'm about to build a amd 3600 and could use the 450 tomahawk or go with a 550. I'll be using my existing graphics card till the GPU's get settled out in the market. Mine does fine as is for what I use it for. Mostly playing out dated games.

My current PC is in the process of dying, at least the power supply is it's only 10 years old and lasted through 3 motherboards and various other crap. Rather not order another PSU and dick with taking it out and putting a new one in a very dated machine.

Borzak

Fixed my computer. I guess that at least takes the pressure off of do it right now. Going to be building a new one anyway. Apparently a very tiny ass screw in my case over the years on the bottom worked it's way under the power supply and into the corner. I leaned my case all kinds of ways. Sounded like one of the fan blades on the PSU was coming off. Took it out and still couldn't see it. I beat on the PSU holding it every way I could. Finally when I was putting it back in my light just happened to catch that screw. No idea what it was for and probably been there a decade.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Fixed my computer. I guess that at least takes the pressure off of do it right now. Going to be building a new one anyway. Apparently a very tiny ass screw in my case over the years on the bottom worked it's way under the power supply and into the corner. I leaned my case all kinds of ways. Sounded like one of the fan blades on the PSU was coming off. Took it out and still couldn't see it. I beat on the PSU holding it every way I could. Finally when I was putting it back in my light just happened to catch that screw. No idea what it was for and probably been there a decade.
This happens a lot.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Dam the unifan price jumped up quickly after release. Lol scalpers going hard on it, glad I got mine on preorder.

Borzak

Got ready to buy the parts for my build. Amazon has decided a hurricane is coming even though it's not. Prime stuff was getting here 24-28th. Kind of ridiculous. I'm going to wait until the hurricane hits, no way I'm paying $30 extra to get a fan here quicker when it's $15 fan.

Fucker

Log Wizard

I did this once. I invert my power supplies because I keep the boxes on the carpet. I normally cover it up with a cloth, but the one time I didn't a screw dropped right down inside it. Luckily I unplugged it and discharged it first, but still. A 5 minute card install turned into 30 minutes.

The worst screw mistake I made was when I put a new computer together and got it all wired and snug. I noticed one motherboard standoff was too long when I was almost finished. Thanks, Coolermaster!

Borzak

Got my stuff ordered. Crazy stuff. It's coming prime here Friday or so. If I had ordered it last night I would have had to pay several hundred dollars to get it here in the same time, due to Amazon listing it as a bad weather zone.

Edit - decided on an AMD 3600 and a 550 Tomahawk. Keeping my current card and will replace once it all settles down after the release of the new ones. More than I need but it was pretty inexpensive. At least I can chunk my Antec 300 case that has been stuffed and unstuffed to death over 15 years lol. It's pretty wore out.

That was interesting. Going through my list of drives in the computer I found a 1tb hard drive (non ssd) I had forgot about. Will be my new storage drive I guess lol. No partitions on it. I think I may have bought 2 and just never got around to that one. 1tb m.2 boot on the new one. Had a lot going on the last few years, slipped though.

Last edited:

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ok so due to Sony being fucktards I'm not sure I want to reward their stupidity with 500 bucks soooo here I am trying to see what I can build as per Utnayan Utnayan suggestion. I work in IT and am totally comfy with building a computer... however it's all in the business space, so I know nothing when it comes to individual components for gaming rigs.

I personally am not a bleeding edge kind of guy and I want to build a sub 1000 (like around 700 or so) system for myself. Then I'd like to see if there are any options for a 500 dollar machine for my gaming buddy to pull him along. I am on pcpartspicker but there is absolutely no context to what I'm actually buying. I want to get something that is comparable to this generation of consoles (PS5/Xbox X), or in other words something that can do 60 fps in decent resolution (I'm even good with 1080p here I'm not picky). I just can't keep up with the numbering scheme and I know I'm not touching anything from this newly released generation so can I get some advice here? I'm good with AMD, I've never had any issues with them when I have used them in the past.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
5700xt or 2080 super for 1080p is fine - prices will be in flux as the 3080s are elusive. Id give more context but im leaving work now.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Ok so due to Sony being fucktards I'm not sure I want to reward their stupidity with 500 bucks soooo here I am trying to see what I can build as per Utnayan Utnayan suggestion. I work in IT and am totally comfy with building a computer... however it's all in the business space, so I know nothing when it comes to individual components for gaming rigs.

I personally am not a bleeding edge kind of guy and I want to build a sub 1000 (like around 700 or so) system for myself. Then I'd like to see if there are any options for a 500 dollar machine for my gaming buddy to pull him along. I am on pcpartspicker but there is absolutely no context to what I'm actually buying. I want to get something that is comparable to this generation of consoles (PS5/Xbox X), or in other words something that can do 60 fps in decent resolution (I'm even good with 1080p here I'm not picky). I just can't keep up with the numbering scheme and I know I'm not touching anything from this newly released generation so can I get some advice here? I'm good with AMD, I've never had any issues with them when I have used them in the past.
Are you talking 500-700 for the pc, monitor,. and peripheral?

It's a hard.price point.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>

This has always been a pretty good guide for pc parts at different price points:
I usually mix and match a few things from the 1000-1500 gaming builds, at least I have for my last two builds (and the recent one for my nephew)

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>

well yea, a good sub1000 will ONLY let you do 1080p, you can forget about 4k gaming. (unless you really wanna push some things)

and this is without monitor or even kb and mouse, this is just the damn pc in a box

this is just being realistic