Desktop Computers

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I need a sound card. I know.. I know.. onboard sound is supposed to be fine but on my Aorus Gaming 7 WiFi my sound card just randomly stops working or makes the volume so low I have to turn my speakers all the way up (even though its set to 100% in the control panel). The only way to fix it is to put the computer to sleep and then wake it back up. I've tried updating drivers and doing a bunch of registry shit I found on the web but the problem persists and I'm sick of it.

Sooo.... anyone got a recommendation for a good sound card?

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
I need a sound card. I know.. I know.. onboard sound is supposed to be fine but on my Aorus Gaming 7 WiFi my sound card just randomly stops working or makes the volume so low I have to turn my speakers all the way up (even though its set to 100% in the control panel). The only way to fix it is to put the computer to sleep and then wake it back up. I've tried updating drivers and doing a bunch of registry shit I found on the web but the problem persists and I'm sick of it.

Sooo.... anyone got a recommendation for a good sound card?
Updated your Realtek drivers and made sure all of your unused sound devices are disabled in windows? It loves to randomly switch to them for no reason.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Here comes an "I'm getting old" moment: I've always built my PCs, whether for work or gaming. But, I'm at the point now where I'm wondering if I can get the same sort of specs in a pre-built machine, or if the prices of those are still retarded compared to building myself. Does anyone here just buy a high end machine? Are there good recommendations with a history of quality and reliability?

Appreciate any experiences and insight. Thanks!

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
If my AIO comes with pre-applied thermal do I still need a dropping on the CPU chip prior to putting the AIO on? I realize there are better thermal pastes out there.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
So pal scored a 5600x at microcenter and is deciding on a MB.

asus b550-f rog strix vs asus x570 tuf gaming plus

Not sure the x570 comes 5600x ready out of the box for one. I realize it has a couple extra sata slots, but it also has wifi he doesnt need, and a chipset fan which I assume will be annoying one day.

Same price, tempted to tell him to get the 550. (also has a 2500 lan port but I dont see how that matters when nothing else will)

Had the same dilemma. Skipped those two and went with the B550-Tuf Gaming for that reason. Also, someone was selling it brand new on eBay for $130 so that helped.

Help boys, I'm having a moment of ultimate gayness/excess and thinking about buying a z63 Kraken AIO for the 5600x. I like that I can display the temps right on the cooler, and the gifs. Wtf is wrong with me. $230 cpu cooler...

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Jovec

?
Had the same dilemma. Skipped those two and went with the B550-Tuf Gaming for that reason. Also, someone was selling it brand new on eBay for $130 so that helped.

Help boys, I'm having a moment of ultimate gayness/excess and thinking about buying a z63 Kraken AIO for the 5600x. I like that I can display the temps right on the cooler, and the gifs. Wtf is wrong with me. $230 cpu cooler...

It's your money, spend it how you want. 5600x is a 65w proc at stock, maybe pulling ~110-130 watts under P95-style loads with PBO enabled. A $60 NH-U14s would give you all the cooling you need.

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
DDF9719D-CBB4-4740-8FC5-3C403BAF091B.jpeg
Finished my first ever build today. Didn’t get the lian-li strimers in,need to change out any black cables as well. Hoping to get a vertical GPU mount in here. Thanks for the help with recommendations. Now off to craft my cyber cock.

needs a bit better cable management in the morning

Last edited:
  • 7Like
  • 1Wow!
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 8 users

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
I'd never stoop THAT low!

Threelions Threelions - Which case is that? 4000dx Corsair?
It’s the X but I’ve changed out the front panel for the D model for $10. Felt like the 3 additional LL120s were worth the value of the X (front fans don’t come with the D - airflow)
Edit- to be clear it’s the 4000X

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
View attachment 322866Finished my first ever build today. Didn’t get the lian-li strimers in,need to change out any black cables as well. Hoping to get a vertical GPU mount in here. Thanks for the help with recommendations. Now off to craft my cyber cock.

needs a bit better cable management in the morning

Unless you're going to water cool the GPU, reconsider the vertical mounting. It looks like it would put it pretty close to the glass and may choke off it's airflow.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
If my AIO comes with pre-applied thermal do I still need a dropping on the CPU chip prior to putting the AIO on? I realize there are better thermal pastes out there.
I used the preinstalled paste for the first time this build and it works fine. The builds I did before this didn’t have that so I didn’t know it was a thing until I opened it. I have an unopened tube of paste now.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Here comes an "I'm getting old" moment: I've always built my PCs, whether for work or gaming. But, I'm at the point now where I'm wondering if I can get the same sort of specs in a pre-built machine, or if the prices of those are still retarded compared to building myself. Does anyone here just buy a high end machine? Are there good recommendations with a history of quality and reliability?

Appreciate any experiences and insight. Thanks!
Honestly right now prebuilt is the way to go. It’s fucking ridiculous trying to get gfx cards and chips right now. Building your own you’re likely to just get stuck missing components or compromising on what you want.

Example, I built my new pc months ago with a 3080 in mind to finish it but last night bought a 3070 because it’s the first thing I’ve been able to find in two months. And I consider myself lucky I even got it before the bots did. Prebuilt you wouldn’t have that problem and if you can afford the extra couple hundred it’s worth avoiding all the stress and months of waiting.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users