Desktop Computers

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Right? That's almost as stupid as building a 5950x/3090 build with a custom loop and not OC'ing it. Or Doing a similar build with a $500 PSU but not doing a custom loop/LN2 cooling to max out the power draw. Some people, I tell ya.

Difference is there is no reason for me to OC and buying a 3090 w/ a 5950x makes more sense than buying a 3090 to go with a 1700 instead of like a 3080 and 5600x which comes around ot the same amount of $ - or a 3070 and 5600 and good ram. Soooooooooo many potentially good combinations you could upgrade to for overall better performance than just slapping a 3090 in a machine. Meanwhile you gripe over my disinterest in OCing as if you have to OC if you watercool.

I have enough RGB that my FPS in LOL is already godly!

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Difference is there is no reason for me to OC and buying a 3090 w/ a 5950x makes more sense than buying a 3090 to go with a 1700 instead of like a 3080 and 5600x which comes around ot the same amount of $ - or a 3070 and 5600 and good ram. Soooooooooo many potentially good combinations you could upgrade to for overall better performance than just slapping a 3090 in a machine. Meanwhile you gripe over my disinterest in OCing as if you have to OC if you watercool.

but msi afterburner is so easy to use!

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
but msi afterburner is so easy to use!

Thats GPU no? My 3090 is not in use till the WB gets here Friday - i need to see how the temps are on both when i redo the loop this weekend before i can see if there is anything i should tweak. If i need to redo some things and add another radiator ill have to make a MC run for it. At the moment i have a 360 and 120, but the 120 isnt connected to the loop just sitting in place till i add the GPU block. 6800XT has been a pretty good trooper in the interim but that will be sold when build is complete.

Anywho for the cost of a 3090 and tax you can get a 5600x, 3070, B550, and new ram and reuse your current case - If you can score a 3080 FE and 5600x at cost you can do more or less the same thing with better performance than a 1700 and 3090 -

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Thats GPU no? My 3090 is not in use till the WB gets here Friday - i need to see how the temps are on both when i redo the loop this weekend before i can see if there is anything i should tweak. If i need to redo some things and add another radiator ill have to make a MC run for it. At the moment i have a 360 and 120, but the 120 isnt connected to the loop just sitting in place till i add the GPU block. 6800XT has been a pretty good trooper in the interim but that will be sold when build is complete.

Anywho for the cost of a 3090 and tax you can get a 5600x, 3070, B550, and new ram and reuse your current case - If you can score a 3080 FE and 5600x at cost you can do more or less the same thing with better performance than a 1700 and 3090 -
yea dude, it works for any card (not just msi) all you gotta do is click (load at startup), then click on k for kombuster (thats the gpu stress test) and just move the sliders till you fail.

my basic ryzen 5 reboots in literally 8seconds w/ fast boot, so i'm sure yours does the same. you should at least be getting +100core and +400mem w/ stock cooler

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Yeah im mainly interested in fiddling with CPU and MEM - ive messed with the gpu before using evga precision(think thats what its called)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah im mainly interested in fiddling with CPU and MEM - ive messed with the gpu before using evga precision(think thats what its called)
the 3090 is already pretty dialed in, your not gonna get massive gains
intraworkout-feautre.jpg

but the 5950x has to be OC'd

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
the 3090 is already pretty dialed in, your not gonna get massive gains
intraworkout-feautre.jpg

but the 5950x has to be OC'd

Im aware which is why anything i do will be on cpu or mem but likely just mem since i dont play anything that requires more performance than im currently getting. WoW isnt going to load any faster since im already using 980pros.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's what he's got probably.

I'm on a 6700k with my 3080 currently because Zen 5000 series aren't obtainable (no 5800 does not count, terrible value).
Yep. It's what I have. I'm trying to sell the 3090, but it crossed my mind to keep it. I was just really surprised that the bottleneck calculator didn't indicate a bottleneck.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm going to do my first oc in probably 10 years. Not because I need the performance, but I've spent the money on the hardware, so I may as well do it.

Cathan

Silver Knight of the Realm
I saw the refernece to how easy it is to OC with MSI boards, what about Asus? I've been a big fan of Asus for years to the point where if I'm building for myself I ALWAYS go Asus.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I saw the refernece to how easy it is to OC with MSI boards, what about Asus? I've been a big fan of Asus for years to the point where if I'm building for myself I ALWAYS go Asus.

Asus was easy to OC last i remember. That AIsuite did most of the work if i remember correctly. I dont personally buy ASUS products myself anymore due to some RMAS shenanigan's i had with them before.

jeydax

Death and Taxes

I was mostly making a joke, at my own expensive too, but hey I'll fire back with you're still a dumbass if you have a Dark Hero and aren't overclocking. Let alone the custom loop setup and not overclocking, at the very least enabling PBO. It's easier than OCing the GPU with OC Scanner (again, at the very least). I'll continue to give you shit about it while I run half my house on my PSU.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
MSI afterburner can be used with nearly any card, and also is capable of using OC Scanner (if the card supports it) and then using it to modify the freq/voltage curve.

Last edited:

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I was mostly making a joke, at my own expensive too, but hey I'll fire back with you're still a dumbass if you have a Dark Hero and aren't overclocking. Let alone the custom loop setup and not overclocking, at the very least enabling PBO. It's easier than OCing the GPU with OC Scanner (again, at the very least). I'll continue to give you shit about it while I run half my house on my PSU.

Well i guess the dumbass really is you because at no place in time have i mentioned owning a Dark Hero - furthermore tho you're an illiterate inbred cockmongler i did also say i don't buy ASUS so if you put 2 and 2 together you get the impossibility of me owning that board. Hopefully this lesson in comprehension has helped you a little bit in life my childish internet warrior friend.

• 1Bullshit
Reactions: 1 user

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
What kind of performance do I even get out of overclocking these days that isn't quickly killing my chips with stupid voltages?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Well i guess the dumbass really is you because at no place in time have i mentioned owning a Dark Hero - furthermore tho you're an illiterate inbred cockmongler i did also say i don't buy ASUS so if you put 2 and 2 together you get the impossibility of me owning that board. Hopefully this lesson in comprehension has helped you a little bit in life my childish internet warrior friend.

that escalated quickly will ferrell GIF

Dude is just giving you some friendly shit.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
For CPU's you're looking at around 20-25% increase. GPU's not nearly as much as they handle their own OC'ing, albeit via boosting.
No way. Everything overclocks these days from the factory.

He's getting 1-5% from a manual overclock. It's basically a waste of time.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kais

<Gold Donor>
More headroom at the lower end of the product stack. Can get more out of OCing a 5600 than a 5900.