Desktop Computers

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
i have the bequiet 4, so far my favorite cooler

i have a ryzen 5 on high oc, and the damn fans don't even spin up

i actually have 2, one was an annoying install b/c the case was not modern (it actually opens from the right side), so it was more difficult installing it w/ mb installed, i had to install it first, then install the mb.

the second one was on a modern nzxt 710 case and that was amazingly easy.

i also love the long ass screw driver they give, ha
Got the green light to go full RGB, but not sure I'm going too anymore. Between the RGB fans, AIO, strimers, etc the shit is just insane expensive for something that I don't really care about. It'd be amazingly fun for a little while with my kid, and letting him control the colors and stuff, but is that worth the money when it's gonna be useless past a couple weeks? I don't know.

Edit: But why the fuck not go full RGB, when they are going to be so close in price. Any parts missing is because I'm re-using those and didn't include it for pricing reasons.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hLJMy4

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($299.00 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($169.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($249.85 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($162.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($809.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Full Tower Case ($149.09 @ Adorama)
Total: $1840.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-31 18:48 EST-0500

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HmGLbh

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($299.00 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($95.74 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($249.85 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($202.34 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB FTW3 ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($809.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1656.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-31 18:49 EST-0500

Last edited:

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Finally decided to put all my stuff together, I'd gotten a 3090 some time ago, recently snagged a 5800x, had ordered a Crosshair VIII, some memory and an m.2.

Between moving my PSU and GPU from my current PC to my new build... the PSU died. Nothing happened to it, it was literally picked up and put in the new box straight from the old one, and nothing.

So limping along w/ an older PSU that can't power the 3090 capably (have to undervolt for it to be stable)... and now I have bad sectors in my brand new m.2.

So spending the new year playing the RMA game. Once all that's fixed I'll post a better picture.

1609580266059.png

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
Finally decided to put all my stuff together, I'd gotten a 3090 some time ago, recently snagged a 5800x, had ordered a Crosshair VIII, some memory and an m.2.

Between moving my PSU and GPU from my current PC to my new build... the PSU died. Nothing happened to it, it was literally picked up and put in the new box straight from the old one, and nothing.

So limping along w/ an older PSU that can't power the 3090 capably (have to undervolt for it to be stable)... and now I have bad sectors in my brand new m.2.

So spending the new year playing the RMA game. Once all that's fixed I'll post a better picture.

View attachment 326646
Random problems suck. I had a NIC that was randomly dumping power into the chassis and sometimes caused strange problems. In the end, I am pretty sure it caused the death of a PSU and an M2 drive. My M2 had weird read problems and would sometimes go down to 40 MB/s before I replaced it. You'd think a NIC dumping power into the chassis would have killed the NIC or make it not work correctly. Nope, it worked 100% outside of the power issue.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Similar thing happened to me but turned out i had just bent pins on my cpu lol - luckily the CC trick worked fine and was able to get everything fixed.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
After rebuilding my computer I found out it was not our downstairs neighbor's dog making very weird whining sounds outside at 2am, and in fact my 8 yr old Silverstone PSU...

Random PC issues are "fun".

Crone

Do I need this for my new build? Gonna have Corsair RAM, and AIO, and probably fans because I want to be able to control them with iCue? UNI fans look awesome, but I don't think they can be controlled? I don't know.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Without looking up all the parts and needed ports I wouldn't know if you have to have it but I can say that having a controller to cable everything to is a very nice addition.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
I can't speak to those, but icue can control other stuff too, for example my motherboard:

1609706005308.png

I'm retarded when it comes to icue though, my fucking mouse settings end up all over the place and can't seem to just get the thumb buttons to just 1-9 even when the software isn't open despite saving profiles to it and stay that way, I inevitably hit the profile switch or something and fuck it all up.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
I can't speak to those, but icue can control other stuff too, for example my motherboard:

View attachment 326848

I'm retarded when it comes to icue though, my fucking mouse settings end up all over the place and can't seem to just get the thumb buttons to just 1-9 even when the software isn't open despite saving profiles to it and stay that way, I inevitably hit the profile switch or something and fuck it all up.
Icue is an absolute mess to use unfortunately and I'm Pro Corsair. I saw your monitor up above and just wanted to mention if it's an Odyssey G9, they've released updated firmware 1008 which fixed all the issues I was having with my monitor. Can finally run in 240hz and G-Sync active. Was not able to prior with manufactured firmware.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Icue is an absolute mess to use unfortunately and I'm Pro Corsair. I saw your monitor up above and just wanted to mention if it's an Odyssey G9, they've released updated firmware 1008 which fixed all the issues I was having with my monitor. Can finally run in 240hz and G-Sync active. Was not able to prior with manufactured firmware.
Yeah it is, will take a look, thanks!

Crone

View attachment 326848

Yep, been trying to figure out if iCue can see and controll Lian Li Unifans, but haven't found an answer yet.

Witless

Trakanon Raider
I’m trying to put together a solid, but not overly expensive, computer build. It doesn’t need all the new bells and whistles, just last a few years with minimal problems and possible upgrade potential. My current problem is picking a good RTX 2060 variant (for possible ray tracing) but any input would be appreciated as I am pretty new at computer builds.

PCpartpicker list

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Unless you really need 2 TB of space I would consider getting one of these instead, the Samsung 1TB NVMe M.2 drive:

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I’m trying to put together a solid, but not overly expensive, computer build. It doesn’t need all the new bells and whistles, just last a few years with minimal problems and possible upgrade potential. My current problem is picking a good RTX 2060 variant (for possible ray tracing) but any input would be appreciated as I am pretty new at computer builds.

PCpartpicker list
you gonna re-use your old case?

you gonna use the included wraith cooler on the 3600?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I have two two-year-old Origin PC's and was just looking to see what I could do to upgrade the one I mostly use and got this message from pcpartpicker:

• Note:The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with a SATA Express port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA Express port is disabled.
WTF does that mean?

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
in order for the m.2 slot to work it uses one of the sata lanes on the motherboard so it disables one of those.

EDIT this is from my motherboard manual as an example:

Screenshot 2021-01-04 151545.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I have two three-year-old Origin PC's and was just looking to see what I could do to upgrade the one I mostly use and got this message from pcpartpicker:

• Note:The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with a SATA Express port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA Express port is disabled.
WTF does that mean?
i learned this recently myself.

tldr
(as reference)

if you have 6 sata ports, 1-6, and you decide to pop in a m.2 drive, then ports 5-6 will be diabled cuz the m.2 slot/protocol, whatever will be using the lanes/bandwidth from ports 5-6.

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Oh, okay. So it doesn't matter if I don't have too many harddrives.

• 1Truth!

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I have plenty of parts to sell if anyone wants anything. I have 4 of the 1070 GTX's and two of everything else.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/28GQLP

CPU: Intel Core i7-6850K 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($450.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 99 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI X99A Raider ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($83.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($83.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate FireCuda 2 TB 2.5" 5400RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB FTW GAMING ACX 3.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($699.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB FTW GAMING ACX 3.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($699.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master Stryker SE ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA G2 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($108.78 @ Other World Computing)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link Archer TX50E PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax Wi-Fi Adapter ($44.99 @ B&H)
Monitor: Acer G246HLAbd 24.0" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor ($299.97 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Acer G246HLAbd 24.0" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor ($299.97 @ Amazon)
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset ($79.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $3069.67
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-04 17:23 EST-0500

I'd even be willing to sell the other PC as is for $1,800. It doesn't have as much RAM, but it has everything else.