Desktop Computers

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Oh now theyre taking aim at Intel....3DChiplets -

Dam Lisa is out here with the reaper scythe.

• 1Mic Drop
Reactions: 1 user

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
FSR rolls out in June and will work on Nvidia GPUs including their older GPUs - People who have 1080Tis can get a jump in FPS just by using FSR since DLSS isnt supported on older GPUs

That would be nice, but it looks like it will depend on if it's adopted by devs. Never underestimate Nvidia throwing wads of cash at devs to makes sure they use their tech.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
12% gain on 5900x 3dchiplet vs 5900x current without them going to 5NM - next year AMD going to put intel under.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Never seen those work exceptionally well - MOCA not an option? Better wireless networking?

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Is there a straightforward solution to cooling a 3080? I've got it mining 24/7 and this thing is heating up my entire office.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Anyone have recommendations on Power line adapters? Wireless sucks
I've only tried several types of TP-Link. Pretty sub par all around. I ended up running ethernet cables direct to the router. The last TP-Link powerline kit I got was a few years ago and was new at the time.

Their performance and stability is based upon how good your home's wiring is. If you have to jump across a breaker box and have shitty wiring...forget about it. Mine were connected via direct wire and still randomly dropped connection and would reboot at odd times. Mine would shit itself if my GF hit the garage door. Not even on the same loop of wiring, but that would do it.

Not really worth the hassle IMO. I threw mine away.

New wireless is pretty good. My new ISP's router box is really fucking solid. My new PC has Intel WI-FI 6. and I put the same thing in my Ryzen PC. Faultless and fast, and low latency. I cannot tell the difference between this and direct ethernet cable connection. My other wifi router would do maybe 250ms at best, this one hovers around 70ms which is good enough for the PVP game I play.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
That sucks to hear your experiences with the poweline adapters. I used one in my old house for about 6 years and don’t think it failed once. Transfer speeds were perfect. House was built in 1980 so not new wiring. Maybe I just had some great luck. Would hace definitely recommended them for others.

• 1Like

Pescador

Trakanon Raider
Is there a straightforward solution to cooling a 3080? I've got it mining 24/7 and this thing is heating up my entire office.
Nothing will stop it from acting like a 200+W space heater so you need to cool the room. I leave a window open with my ceiling fan running if the temp outside is below 75-80, otherwise I just run the AC and keep my office door opened to help with circulation.

If it's pulling much more than 200-250W you can try new thermal paste to bring up the efficiency. I did that with mine and it helped a lot. Still gets toasty though, usually at 94C

• 1Like

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Anyone have recommendations on Power line adapters? Wireless sucks

I use Netgear adapters myself - they just do what they say on the box. You're never gonna get the max speeds from any powerline adapter but the netgear ones have been the best for me. Only use them for gaming pc as wireless works for everything else but in games like PoE where stability is the most important thing they've helped a bundle.

There's many factors at play when using them so it's really a trial and error thing. Good Luck.

Kiki

Log Wizard

Got no choice there, set your AC, but make sure you have a fuckton of fans in your case and I even use this on top of the case to clear surrounding air. Works super well even at the lowest speed. Also, I limit the card using afterburner so it's not just running max all the time, just 70-80% to not burn up the card and make it last longer.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Undervolting but I have no idea how that interacts with mining.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I currently have a 3700x CPU along with a RTX 3080 GPU. If I upgrade my CPU to either a 5800x or 5900x how much of a performance boost can I expect? Is the upgrade even worth it?

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I currently have a 3700x CPU along with a RTX 3080 GPU. If I upgrade my CPU to either a 5800x or 5900x how much of a performance boost can I expect? Is the upgrade even worth it?
It is not worth it imo. Yes, there is a performance increase. No, it is not that large. Next gen should also bring ddr5, which has a chance to be significant. Also AMD seems to have some architecture changes coming that matter.

Malkav

French Madman
Caved in and ordered a 5800x to replace my old Ryzen 2600, as well as a 1TB NVME ssd to replace my current PCIE 2.0 256GB SSD.

Will have to sit on my current 2080 for a while though until this GPU madness dies down.

• 1Solidarity

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
FSR rolls out in June and will work on Nvidia GPUs including their older GPUs - People who have 1080Tis can get a jump in FPS just by using FSR since DLSS isnt supported on older GPUs
It could work on nVidia cards if nVidia wants to allow it to do so. I can't find it atm, but there was a tweet by an AMD dev stating that having FSR work on nvidia cards (even olver ones) was just a "proof of concept".