Desktop Computers

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Nothing wrong with ASRock since they were (are still?) the Asus discount label. I think the only downside is the shittier troubleshooting (eg. hotline) should you ever run into problems, nothing ive expirienced first hand though.

And Asus is known for great layout / design of their products.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah the ASRock 77 was soldout at Microcenter when I got there Friday so I'm gonna wait on upgrading until they have it back in stock...

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Stupid question time. Should I get a motherboard with a wireless adapter onboard or just use the latest USB one? I swear the majority of motherboards I look at when looking to price a system don't have onboard wireless. Why is that?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Yeah the ASRock 77 was soldout at Microcenter when I got there Friday so I'm gonna wait on upgrading until they have it back in stock...
Yeah I built a new rig from scratch and got it all from Microcenter a few weeks ago. They didn't charge me for my CPU and I didn't realize it until I got home so being the nice guy I am (the guy that helped me was super helpful and I didn't want him to lose out on commission) I went back the next day to tell them and they noted I didn't get all my bundle discounts either so they just gave me the CPU and called it even which was pretty awesome.

Then I went back the next day to get a new case because my old one wasn't large enough and the case I got that price checked in the system for $100 for some reason rang up for $47.

I love Microcenter.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Stupid question time. Should I get a motherboard with a wireless adapter onboard or just use the latest USB one? I swear the majority of motherboards I look at when looking to price a system don't have onboard wireless. Why is that?
Just get a wireless adapter and stick it in one of the many USB ports on the back of your case that you'll never use otherwise. You can get a decent wireless USB adapter for $10-$15 whereas that feature on a motherboard is probably going to run you $50 more(if not more, seems like only fairly high-end motherboards have wireless)

Also(and there may be absolutely nothing to this) but I tend to trust a wireless adapter that is outside your case, as opposed to one that is enclosed inside a metal case. The signal reception just can't be as good on a motherboard inside a metal box(case)

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah I built a new rig from scratch and got it all from Microcenter a few weeks ago. They didn't charge me for my CPU and I didn't realize it until I got home so being the nice guy I am (the guy that helped me was super helpful and I didn't want him to lose out on commission) I went back the next day to tell them and they noted I didn't get all my bundle discounts either so they just gave me the CPU and called it even which was pretty awesome.

Then I went back the next day to get a new case because my old one wasn't large enough and the case I got that price checked in the system for $100 for some reason rang up for $47.

I love Microcenter.
That kind of leads in to my ONLY gripe about Microcenter. The prices on the price tags on the shelves are often WAY out of date. I'd say at least 50% of the things I buy there ring up differently at the register(generally cheaper, which is good, but I'd still they rather show the correct price to begin with)

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
all my stuff is coming from NJ cept the ram, fuck me its coming from cali... im in CT ill be getting that a week after the rest of my shit with the standard shipping.

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
It's just a 27" 1920x1080 TN non LED model. I'll get the exact model number when I get home. I think it's two years old?

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
Asus VE276Q. I'd probably take a reasonable offer on it since it's just sitting in a closet collecting dust atm.

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
The panel only is $180 on Ebay the LED version they still make goes for about $275. /shrug

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Anyone have heads up on a sub $200 vid card for cyber monday? Trying to upgrade from a HD6850.

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
thought I posted this, guess I forgot to hit post.

I'm looking for a gaming desktop on cyber monday, preferably a barebones or complete. willing to pay a little more now in order not to have to build it myself. anyone have any leads?

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
as fast as i saw good shit sell out on black friday i didnt have any faith in finding a deal unless i sat here till 3am my time when it starts.

ive heard stocks are even less than they were on BF and things like RAM that id put in my cart sold out within the hour, several occasions.

Renault

N00b
All the Cyber Monday deals look pretty shitty so far; haven't seen anything better then during last week and there's virtually nothing for video cards left in stock unless it's a $300 plus card that hasn't been discounted.

I'm considering just throwing an old card in my build and waiting for something to come up before or after Christmas since I really don't want to just say fuck it and buy a 760 at $230 when I should have bought a 670 at $199 last week.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Amazon is putting computer parts on sale on like 20 minute intervals starting now for Cyber Monday. Can't see the sales price until it actually goes on sale, but you can check out the product and normal price

Cyber Monday Deals in Computers Accessories

Theres 16GB of Corsair RAM coming up soon, as well as some Corsair PSUs going on sale at 3:40AM Eastern Time

Then after that, looks like most of the stuff is waiting until morning to go on sale.

Keeping my eye on the 1TB Samsung EVO SSD at 1:40 EST tomorrow. Interested to see what kind of deal that will be.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Bros, could use a little advice. My brother is one of those people that wants a gaming PC but refuses to let me build one (FUCK HIM). He has a brand new video card (can't remember exact model), new power supply, and a nice monitor. He's looking to buy some computer with something like an i5 (3rd or 4th gen) and a decent amount of RAM and throwing his parts in. I think Best Buy had a dell on black friday, but he didn't end up buying it. Anyone know of any decent desktop deals today around $500-ish? I know this isn't the norm, just looking for somewhere to start as I can't really shop at work.

Last time he didn't wait for me to tell him what to buy he ended up buying a dual core AMD and thinking it was going to be a beast.. it is the worst computer you could ever imagine.