Desktop Computers

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Glad I checked this thread. My rig is becoming a bit dated.

Current specs:
Case: Antec 900
Mobo: ASROCK p67 Extreme4
CPU: i5 2500k 3.3ghz Sandy Bridge (liquid cooling)
RAM: 16 gig G-Skill DDR3-SDRAM (DDR3-1600)
GPU: GTX 560 Ti
HDD1: Plextor 128gb SSD
HDD2: Seagate 1tb 7200rpm
PSU: Corsair 650W
Kinda freaky as that's nearly my exact system. Some models are different, and I have a Radeon 6950 2gb video card instead, but nearly the same machine. I ran into the same issues though that have already been said here. I was itching to upgrade, but really nothing but the video card to upgrade.

Haven't over clocked my 2500k either, but I plan too as soon as I get back into PC gaming, and by that time the 970's will be back in stock.
smile.png

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Wait for Cyber Monday/Black Friday at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw 280x cards down around $200 on sale. Last year there were a lot of previous gen cards that were $250-$300 as of September/October that dropped to the $180-$200 range for Black Friday & Cyber Monday. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to see some Nvida 770s down in the $200-$225 range for a brief sale.
It's officially the holiday season...here is an AMD 290 for $250, prices are already dropping:
XFX Double Dissipation Radeon R9 290 4GB Video Card + 3 AMD Games $250 after $20 Rebate + Free Shipping - Newegg Deals, Coupons and Promos.

Heck of a card, benches quite a bit higher than an Nvidia 770, and is on par with a 780/970 in many games

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
My latest PC build works as a Hackintosh perfectly except for one thing, motherboard wifi isn't supported. I had to get an Asus USB dongle.

This is what I've got -Intel Core i5-4670K, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660, BitFenix Prodigy (White) - System Build - PCPartPicker

Runs everything I've tried at 1080p, no problems
Have you run into the problems Alorin mentioned? With the updates? My hubby does photography and uses Aperture a lot. Not to mention, he's kind of allured with Macs. But, again, I would like good hardware to actually run new games lol.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Alkorin only means OS updates, which yes can be a real problem. You never know if Apple is going to completely remove support for hardware that used to work because they no longer have it in their current production line. It's kind of like jail breaking an iPhone, you want everyone else to do the testing before you try and upgrade. My current working version of OS X is Mavericks and I haven't tried updating past that.

Application upgrades work fine, however.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Have you run into the problems Alorin mentioned? With the updates? My hubby does photography and uses Aperture a lot. Not to mention, he's kind of allured with Macs. But, again, I would like good hardware to actually run new games lol.
Just build a nice Windows machine. There's no practical reason for anyone to choose using a Mac over a Windows PC nowadays. Sure, 20 years ago a Mac was beastly with it's 64-bit RISC processors and proprietary graphic software. Nowadays, no more. The only people that still use Mac desktops are either trying to seem trendy & hip(in which case they wouldn't be using a desktop if they truly valued that) or have no ability or desire to learn a new OS. The only thing a Mac has going for it is familiarity to long-time Mac users, but that's not a great reason to stick with an inferior product (if that were the case, Blackberry would still be the top smart phone maker).. Sure, Aperture is a Mac-only product, but Adobe Lightroom Pro is the superior piece of software anyways.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Wow, I didn't even realize Aperture's support and development had actually ceased. Maybe I can sway him with that.
tongue.png

jarrettmp_sl

shitlord
Alright guys, I need a new desktop pc.

I used to build all of mine, but haven't for about 6 years. Should I try again? What premium am I paying at a place like ibuypower?

Should I wait 3 weeks and just use my macbook until cyber monday? If ibuypower is adequate, can anyone take a look at their sale pcs and recommend one? I've got no idea on the recent tech trends in desktop pcs.

All advice appreciated.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>

I used to build all of mine, but haven't for about 6 years. Should I try again? What premium am I paying at a place like ibuypower?

Should I wait 3 weeks and just use my macbook until cyber monday? If ibuypower is adequate, can anyone take a look at their sale pcs and recommend one? I've got no idea on the recent tech trends in desktop pcs.

All advice appreciated.
If you're buying from Cyberpower/ibuypower you're getting stuck with whatever motherboard/ram/video card vendor they got cheapest that week, and not a premium model.

Build it yourself.

jeydax

Death and Taxes

All advice appreciated.
Building your own computer is easy as hell nowadays. Post what games you typically play, what you want out of the computer, and a budget and this board can get you recommendations.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I sent this PM to someone asking for advice on a ~$1000-$1100-ish gaming build. I'll probably just keep quoting this through Christmas when anyone asks:

Iif you have a Microcenter store anywhere near you. That is by FAR the best place to get a processor and motherboard, as their pricing is equal to, or less than Newegg/Amazon for in-store purchases, and they give you a $40 instant discount when you buy a CPU/motherboard combo.

At this point, if you don't find any amazing sales the 970 is a great card for the price, but I'd keep an eye on Cyber Monday/black friday sales and not be 100% set on a 970. I posted a link yesterday in the Desktop thread to a sale on an AMD 290 4GB for $250 after rebate. A 290 actually benchmarks faster than a 970 in almost every game and resolution, it's actually closer to a 980 in performance.

If I were going to build a system today, I'd do something like this:
PCPartPicker part list/Price breakdown by merchant

CPU:Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor($229.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard:Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory:Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory($70.99 @ Newegg)
Storage:Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive($128.98 @ OutletPC)
Case:Cooler Master HAF XM (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply:SeaSonic G-750 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply($109.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System:Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total:$824.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-06 14:02 EST-0500

That's a build without a video card, but its basically ~$850, leaving a $250 or so budget for a video card to stay under $1100. Now, if you have a copy of Windows you can re-use that knocks $100 off the price, and if you have a Microcenter nearby you can easily knock $40-$100 off the price of the CPU/motherboard, so if either of those things are doable you could be looking at a build where you can add a $300-$400 video card and still stay under your $1100 mark.

All of those things might go down in price though this month, keep an eye on Slickdeals.net, as well as Newegg for sales. If you aren't in a huge hurry to build this thing tomorrow, you can probably piece it together over the next 30 days and save a good amount of money. I built a new PC 2 Novembers ago, I priced out what I wanted in September and it was around $1400, I ended up piecing it together off of sales in November and it was a tad under $1100, it made a HUGE difference. Almost every single part that I wanted went on sale at some point during the month of November.

A few notes on the build I linked:
- only 1 stick of 8 GB ram. Theres really no need to go 2x4GB, dual-channel gives almost no performance boost in gaming, I'd rather save the extra slot for expansion later.
- I just randomly picked a high-rated mid-tower case, but you can do pretty much whatever you want for a case, you can get tons of different good cases for $60-$80 or so.
- only the 1 SSD for hard drives. You can always pull a HD out of your old PC for storage, or add another one down the line. 250GB SSD is going to be enough space for your OS install and half a dozen games installed at any given time. You won't really need more space for gaming, you'll only need more space for storing media if you need to. Now, if you're the type of person that needs your whole Steam library installed at all times, then yeah, you're going to need more standard hard drvies ASAP for storage.
- I didn't add an aftermarket CPU cooler. You won't need one if you don't overclock, and you can even do minimal overclocking on stock cooling. The only real big advantage to aftermarket coolers is going to be noise, many of them are super quiet, whereas the stock coolers that intel uses are a little noisy. But a good aftermarket air cooler won't cost you more than $30 if you want one.
- I didn't add any optical drives, I figured you probably had a DVD writer in your current PC you could salvage. Or if all else fails you can get an external DVD burner for like $20, they're dirt cheap anymore. I haven't actually installed anything off of a disk in years, optical drives are pretty much optional unless you're copying a lot of music/movies for friends and stuff.

If I were building a PC, I would make a list of the parts I want(like above) and then watch slickdeals.net and Newegg/Amazon like a hawk for the next 30-45 days for price drops and sales, or even equivalent items from other manufacturers that go on sale. I have no doubt every single one of those parts I listed will be cheaper at some point between now and Christmas

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Uh, that's a bad idea joeboo. That's a Z87 motherboard with a haswell refresh CPU. That has to have it's BIOS upgraded before it will recognize the new CPU, not a task for amateurs. It has to be Z97 to work out of the box.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
True, I never really take that kind of stuff into consideration because it really doesn't matter to me but I could see where it might be confusing to someone new to building a system.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Just wanted to cross-post this, because it's goddamned awesome

[x-Post r/Battlestations] Our build at work. Full custom mounting, Leds and liquid cooling.It looks beautiful in the server room. It was a fun project that took us about 2 1/2 weeks to complete. : buildapc

Dual Xeon E5-2680 10 Core Processors
Quad EVGA 780ti Classified Kingpin Video Cards
64GB DDR3 Corsair Vengance Ram
Samsung 840 Evo SSD (2x500gb Raid 0)
Asus Z9pe-D8 Motherboard
Corsair AX1500i Power Supply
2 Water Cooling Loops, 6 Radiators with 12 fans Full RGB LEDs
Wall mounted with 2 sets of led controllers.
We put a lot of time in this and figured you guys would appreciate it as well. Probably the single coolest build I have been a part of.
Link to albumWe call it the WOPR - Imgur

5iGnREV.jpg

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Thank you Mist, that build was for me. I was actually going to post it here to see if anyone had any suggestions or changes.

On another note, from what I have read things like gtx970 and i5-4690k will not see significant discounts on Cyber Monday. Is it a better idea to look for deals on things like Mobo's, SSD, Case and Powersupply around Cyber Monday?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yes.

And dont hesitate to switch up brands either. I personally thing Samsung makes the best SSDs and Seasonic makes the best PSUs, but there are other good brands out there too that are completely acceptable if you find a great sale on something comparable.

And depending on what sales you see, I wouldn't be firmly set on a 970 either. If some crazy sales happen and you can get something like a 780 or a 290x for cheaper than a 970(~$350), jump on that. Heck, I'd still get that $250 AMD 290 over a 970 right now, and that leaves some leftover budget money to upgrade elsewhere (gives you a spare $100 to put towards a bigger SSD, or 16GB of Ram instead of 8, etc). don't get me wrong, the 970 is a great card at a very reasonable price for its performance, but I think we're going to see some good sales on comparable stuff this fall, whereas there's no way the price on the 970 is budging yet.

edit - I didn't realize 290x prices were already down in the $350-$400 range for the 4GB cards. If they drop even further down to sub $300, that's a no-brainer. That is a great card, and even moreso if its significantly cheaper than a 970 at that point.

I'd look at it this way, whether you spend $350 on a 970, or $250 on a 290/290x, either option is going to need to be upgraded within 2 years to still play new games on max settings, that extra $100 really isn't going to buy you much more time in the long run. If nothing goes on any significant sale then just go 970, its great, but if you can save some money and put it to use elsewhere I'd seriously consider that too.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Dang Canadian Moose tax. I'll be honest, I'm not familiar with Canadian pricing or sales. My advice might be totally wrong for trying to catch decent prices & sales if you're anywhere besides the US.