Destiny: Rise of Iron 9.20.16

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm noticing some really nice little touches to the A.I. Was fighting some Knight and pulled out the rocket launcher and fired from a distance, the fucker side stepped my rocket and I hit jack shit. So far it appears they have achieved a good level of difficulty without it being cheap and frustration. I haven't once yet thought something was bullshit or lame.

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Man, this is the first time I've seriously considered going out and buying a PS4. Was content with my Destiny pre-order for PS3, but all the first impressions from the alpha make me want to play this NOW!

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Man, this is the first time I've seriously considered going out and buying a PS4. Was content with my Destiny pre-order for PS3, but all the first impressions from the alpha make me want to play this NOW!
With how gorgeous it is, I can't imagine the disservice that the old generation is going to give Destiny. The longterm Beta doesn't start until July 17th or so though.

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
if you're considering getting a PS4 for Destiny, you should really just get this
Amazon.com: PlayStation 4 Destiny Bundle: Video Games
"This item will be released on September 9, 2014." That's too long to wait to play!
smile.png

Could you talk to my wife and convince her to not kill me if I bought it? haha All our extra income is going towards buying needed stuff for our baby girl.

spronk

FPS noob
first impressions : PVE is AMAZING! tutorial mission is no joke, took me like 10 mins to kill the final "boss". the game atmosphere and everything reminds me a lot of mass effect, in that its a really cool world i wanna explore and play around in and see whats up. I can TOTALLY see myself getting immersed, based on just a few minutes of PVE play. TESO and Wildstar were completely the opposite, after 15 minutes i wanted to alt-f4, they just threw up vast amounts of info at you in a completely uncurated way. This game feels very, very polished in the PVE department.

PVP: hated it. first impression anyways. It sucks playing on a console/controller after being a kb/m guy, I feel like a slow retard aiming and turning. I've recently played a lot of BF4 and Titanfall on PC, and I much prefer those two game styles to this for PVP. Titanfall feels super fast and frenetic and has good HUDs, Destiny feels like I am moving through molasses and the (one) PVP mode in alpha isn't that interesting. To be fair I really, really hated Killzone MP too (haven't played COD Ghosts at all) so it might just be a console vs PC thing. It is too bad Destiny isn't coming out on PC. I've played ~10 hours of Battlefield Hardline beta on PC and didn't like it either, thought it was very unpolished and like a shitty BF4 mod.

Graphics though are gorgeous, and I am gonna buy the game for the PVE part anyways it looks really fun and interesting just based on 15 minutes of play, usually thats enough for me to say yes/no. PVP, eh, I dunno.

Not sure how the servers work either, I can see other players in my world when I am running around doing shit but I assume its small lobbies or whatever, will find out tomorrow I guess when a lot more people come online.

spronk

FPS noob
post from one of the designers on neogaf explaining game activity

LukeSmith_sl said:
There's a lot of confusion here, and we haven't done the best job ever of explaining the game or its structure.

I'm Luke, and I'm one of the lead designers on Destiny.

First, Destiny is structured into Activities.

We've attempted to build a suite of activities that can suit a variety of moods (I want something challenging! I want to chill out with my friends! I want to see where the story goes next! I want to shoot other players!, I want the game to be a cruel dominatrix! et cetera)

These activities come in a bunch of flavors:
Story missions - soloable activities (you can still play them in groups of up to 3!), often with ties to the main story arc of Destiny (the campaign). These activities appear at various Levels (numerical, relative to the player) and choosing a higher level (relative to you) means you're opting in for some additional challenge.
Strikes - 3 player activities, with bosses and loot at the end. Their goal is a highly replayable activity that will - at higher levels - lead you into the loot game.
Explore - cruise around the surface of a planet in Fireteams of up to 3, taking odd jobs and tasks for the City. You can find minerals and resources out in the world that you'll have some use for as you find weapons in Destiny that you want to stick with. This is a lower intensity activity
Raids - 6 player, cooperative required, communication required gameplay. High challenge. We haven't talked much about this yet and I'm not going start that conversation here on NeoGAF
Multiplayer This is for the "shoot other players" mood.

Now, the second part is how the world has been built.

We've structured Destiny's world to have places where you will probably intersect with other players, and places where you won't. We're not going to have players drop into the climax of a mission, but the common landing zones for a given planet? That seems like a great place to see other players running amok in the world.

EDIT: Regardless of what activity you're playing (PVP aside), you'll see players on their own activities, i.e., players beginning a Strike might see a guy collecting Relic Iron on Mars, and a Public Event begins and suddenly everyone is distracted to take down a key Cabal target for a chance at powerful gear and materials to upgrade your best weapons and armor.

A bunch of folks are playing the Alpha now and we're already seeing all kinds of opportunities for places to improve Destiny. I have no doubt that in the Public Beta, we will learn even more from your feedback and experiences.

I'm not going to get into any of the recurring activities or gearing or class stuff today, but I imagine we'll start to try and explain stuff more soon.
the 3 classes in alpha are titan (sorta tanky) hunter (duh range) and warlock (magic). Bladedancer is the level 15 ability for hunters, but level cap is 8 in alpha so can't tell how it is.

Borderlands with a bit of Halo, Mass Effect, and Star Wars seems a good way to describe the game so far

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Going to agree with Spronk on the pvp - didnt like that at all - Ofcourse was my first time going in but shit just seemed weird and like i was being randomly 1 shot. I see alot of people mentioning the PvP in other streams - I am hoping thats something that gets addressed, it just seems very bad at this point.

Lenwen

Silver Squire
Is there only one story campaign quest unlocked in the alpha? Anyways, I'm usually not a fps player on a console, but from the few hours I played, I enjoyed it enough to go preorder it. As others have said, the game is gorgeous, and imo, the controls felt right.