Devilian

nyn

Lord Nagafen Raider
Played this, but didnt really like it. Crossbreed with hack n slash and mmo, but it seem to me they took the worst of both worlds and mesh it togheter. The combat felt very bland compared to d3 and similair, plus they added that annoying run back and forth of the korean games to hand in quests. Density of mobs was very low, and quests very shorts (like kill 5 - 7 mobs).

Dungeons(at least the first one i did), felt really blands as well, very small map with 2 - 3 rooms connected by straight aisles, 5 - 6 mobs x room, a rotating flamethrower trap and a boss in the end. Then you get 1 loot out of the boss and your performance get scored in a similar way of korean games (based on speed, number of death and something else i cant recall).

The demon transformation thing seem reduntant. I mean you build your characters with tailored abilities and powered up skill, and then u transform in demon and you loose it all, you gain basic attack moves that can be enhanced yes, but still? Dunno really, combat itself wasnt really satisfying for some reason, all in all i think marvel does the mmo part better (at least for these type of games), d3 does the hack n slash combat better (the feeling of it ), and poe does the skill system better. Id play any of those 3 over devilian really. Not going to play this one at all on release, unless thigs drastically changes, which i doubt.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fuck the haters, Scott was one of the nicest guys out there and is doing what he is paid to do. He actually listened to EQ players and turned the game around from the shitty EQ2 team who tried to pave their own way with shit from the original while alienating what was a rabid fanbase. The base game unfortunately could only be done so much with--but fuck, that game was a horrible pile of shit at launch. He changed a lot, made raid loot worthwhile--we killed the first raid boss ww at launch only to get a wooden box with a common drop (it wasnt even itemized ffs)....but he had a profound impact on the game becoming the success it was.

I do think he made some poor decisions with the direction Rift went. I remember his response to me back on FoH in the Rift thread about cookie cutter classes were that it wouldnt be an issue. Its a reason pretty much everyone I knew got bored of the game, it quickly became one-spec-to-rule-them-all just like WoW. It was a fun experiment in the way of class design, but it was fatally flawed for that reason.

But he's probably the most approachable guy in the industry, or at least used to be. I haven't talked to him in awhile, but he had a pure passion for gaming and wasn't a condescending prick like some (hi Moorgard). I wish I had millions of dollars to hire him to produce a Shadowrun Mmorpg :p

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well it's free so I'm gonna install it and check once it launches. Doesn't seem to have a whole lot of following, and does look kinda low budget from the screens and stuff.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
I played the open beta. It was kind of fun but really reminded me of one of those browser based RPG's. The story is super Meh. The combat is fun but can be frustrating at times during some of the boss battles. I will probably play it just to get to max and see what the game is like at max.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I played a bit last night. The game is interesting but this combatvis a little wonky and sometimes feels a bit unresponsive. Like if you're moving and got to shift left click an attack you still keep moving to where you clicked.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Played for an hour, meh. It mixes the shittiest parts of mmo stuff like quest mobs tagging and respawns and whatever with a fairly shitty ARPG. First massive annoyance, rebinding the Hold still key doesn't work properly, like it only seems to work for left click, everything else only works with the original Alt key(which can't be bound to anything else). As Draegan said, there's this weird thing where using skills doesn't cancel movement so it feels way weirder than any other ARPG where you're moving, mobs spawn, you start shooting but you're still running towards the mobs(obviously less of a concern if you play a melee).

There's only 4 classes, 2 of which are super generic, the other 2 I'm not too sure(looks like a rogue and a gunner type so might be generic stuff also). There's a fairly limited amount of skills per classes, 4 base that everyone gets with no upgrades on them, then like 15more that you have to pick, not too sure what's max lvl and how many points you get, but the skills were also generic and I assume you'd only get about 5 from a tree then maybe 1 or 2 from the others for control or whatever.

Difficulty looked like garbage though I didn't get very far so that's kinda standard I guess, but I didn't use a single potion and had like 40 of them by lvl 12. There's some sort of power up mode that changes your skills, for some reason that bar doesn't come with all the same keys as the normal bar so if you put your dodge in that one slot that doesn't appear, you have to relearn your buttons for this form because you can't put the dodge in the same key. Powerup form looked not really that powerful either.

Gear was ultra generic, I don't even know if there's randomized gear or if everything you get is the same, it seemed like I was getting armor upgrades for every slots in order, just like a mmo, rather than diablo-like loot. Oh and I had like 5different types of potions because fuck your inventory(inventory obviously is locked behind paywall as far as I can tell).

I'm not too sure of the extent of the cash shop impact on the gameplay, there was a lot of weird systems everywhere for like crafting and salvaging and enchanting and what not but I didn't check the cash shop itself. I assume a good amount of that will be buyable with gold though.

There were a bunch of server spike lags, but expected at release I guess.

Anyway pretty much done after an hour, no way I'd consider playing an ARPG that has poor controls, that's like the very basics of those games and this one felt just meh.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Well this game does have some interesting character building. There is a paragon type system and you get talismans (cards) that you can equip that act as set bonuses. No idea what kind of customization they have.

The questing/leveling shit is fine in my opinion. It's fast and whatever. It's just killing shit.

The classes are fucking dull though. Only played Evoker and Shadowhunter to 10ish.

It's free to play, worth downloading for an hour or so though.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The quests are kinda fast, but it's like why. It's an ARPG, just let me kill shit, most of the time is spent running around. Especially the outdoor questing is so fucking annoying with fighting for spawns with other people then waiting for respawns and what not. Marvel has that too but it's done in a way less stupid way, the maps are gigantic and the quest areas tend to also be very large and more importantly you can just attack stuff other people tagged and if you do sufficient damage you get credit regardless, while in this it seems to use mmo tagging. Diablo 3 has quests too, but they don't have sidequests of killing 3 enemies then going to another place to kill 6enemies and so on, it's very much a main story questline that opens itself as you progress. You can kill shit on the way or you can ignore it. This has quest hubs and quest givers and all that shit which feels really clunky and slows down the gameplay.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you like an action rpg type game but want your characters to wear more nighties its a decent enough game.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah no I don't think quests are a big deal, I think their implementation is shit though, so that's pretty annoying. They add nothing but can be detrimental, so it's like just a minus.

Mind you my control issues are also mostly linked to using Space for hold instead of Alt or Shift(which btw is the default key usually, so not sure why theirs is different, sounds like really dumb), so it's not a major issue.

But like it's just, I don't really see any positives to the game that would outweight these fairly small complaints. It's not classes because they're like terrible, it's not story because it's also terrible(which makes sense since it's a mmo and all, but that doesn't help), it's not how the game plays cause like pretty much every game in this genre, it's way behind Diablo 3 in how fun it is to just play the game, it's not depth because it looks like it has very limited depth and doesn't even begin to compare to say PoE. I just don't see any positive to playing this over playing any of the other ARPG really. I think you'd be better served playing Marvel or PoE for free than this, or Diablo 3 season 5 when that starts in a few weeks, or grabbing Grim Dawn which should be finished soonish or Torchlight 2 on a sale or Van Helsing or Victor Vran etc...

It's just... bland? Like all these soulless korean F2P low budget mmos. Probably because it is a low budget F2P korean game I guess. Hell the game already died in korea apparently(server closed in september it seems).

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
Victor Vran is 99 times better then this. It's worth the ten bucks easy. It's short though. You won't get the replayability out of it that you get out of Diablo. If you are a completionist VV will give you an easy 50+ hours. If you aren't you have like 20ish hours.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
So I played Devilian last night up to level 20. Game is kind of growing on me as a good time waster.

Combat feels a million times better if you don't use LMB to use a skill and use WASD to move. I have a G13 so my WASD is a gamepad like stick.

jeffvader

it's only castles burning
it's highly dependant on class as well - they all play very differently. i didn't like warrior so i switched over to hunter or whatever and it's a lot better. evoker is also fun for me fwiw. can we rename the thread to devilian?