Dexter: New Blood

Fucker

Log Wizard
I went back to look at what happened to this show. Wow, I didn't even realize the show ran for 8 seasons.

I think I mostly quit during or after season 3, and kind of half asses 4 as it seemed a bit ridiculous. That it still ran another 4 seasons after that is insane.

Similar to how I saw that Ray Donovan was still going. What is it with Showtime just running these things into the ground?
I have no idea why they hate their own shows, but the last good season was the one with Lithgow. The last season was esecially bad because the bosses cut the budget to a thread and constantly forced rewrites. I'm pretty sure the writers had checked out by then.

One of the things that made Breaking Bad so good is the writers never had their characters do something not in their nature. Dexter threw that in the trash, and every season after 4 was a different Dexter and Deb.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
C. Hall said he'd only return for the right material.

There were several other attempts by Showtime to get him to reprise the role that never got past a phone call over the last 10 years. Hall was also concerned with copycat killers at the time-- now that it's so many years later, its difficult to anticipate what he would consider a serviceable script.

A few years back it sounded like he passed on some real garbage ideas. So I trusted his judgment then.

Now, not so much. We'll see.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I could not take this show after Deb found out about Dexter and it only got worse from there. S6 That happened? Yeah trash after that.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I went back to look at what happened to this show. Wow, I didn't even realize the show ran for 8 seasons.

I think I mostly quit during or after season 3, and kind of half asses 4 as it seemed a bit ridiculous. That it still ran another 4 seasons after that is insane.

Similar to how I saw that Ray Donovan was still going. What is it with Showtime just running these things into the ground?
they jumped the shark with season 4, i know a lot of people hated Julia Stiles. i didnt mind her, so when they killed her off it felt excessive and only done for media buzz. i stuck around for s5 to 7 and had had enough and still havent even bothered with season 8. i was done with this show. they fucked this all up the same way The Walking Dead fucked up by killing Glen. i noped out that season and i dunno who even watches that shit any more. i do know when aging TV shows start killing off main characters in hopes of shaking things up for more ratings. thats when its time to hang it up and find something else to watch.

Fucker

Log Wizard
they jumped the shark with season 4, i know a lot of people hated Julia Stiles. i didnt mind her, so when they killed her off it felt excessive and only done for media buzz. i stuck around for s5 to 7 and had had enough and still havent even bothered with season 8. i was done with this show. they fucked this all up the same way The Walking Dead fucked up by killing Glen. i noped out that season and i dunno who even watches that shit any more. i do know when aging TV shows start killing off main characters in hopes of shaking things up for more ratings. thats when its time to hang it up and find something else to watch.
It went to giant levels of absurdity when Deb shot her boss. It was bad before then, but what a really dumb idea.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
C. Hall said he'd only return for the right material.

There were several other attempts by Showtime to get him to reprise the role that never got past a phone call over the last 10 years. Hall was also concerned with copycat killers at the time-- now that it's so many years later, its difficult to anticipate what he would consider a serviceable script.

A few years back it sounded like he passed on some real garbage ideas. So I trusted his judgment then.

Now, not so much. We'll see.

Yeah I wonder if he really loves the new scripts or he just noticed that he hasn't had a major role in anything that matters since 2013.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Yeah I wonder if he really loves the new scripts or he just noticed that he hasn't had a major role in anything that matters since 2013.
He gets royalties from the shows he's been on and it is probably a decent fist of cash.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
He's worth 30 million. Money wouldn't be a big motivator. Working again would be the motive.

He has acknowledged Showtime has shit. This about face in 2020 is highly suspicious, and I don't know what to make of it.

Fucker

Log Wizard
He's worth 30 million. Money wouldn't be a big motivator. Working again would be the motive.

He has acknowledged Showtime has shit. This about face in 2020 is highly suspicious, and I don't know what to make of it.
It might be a pretty decent script, at least that's what I am hoping for. I wonder how they are going to squeeze Deb in there.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It might be a pretty decent script, at least that's what I am hoping for. I wonder how they are going to squeeze Deb in there.

I just hope if it's going to reflect any of his own personal opinions on copycat killings that happened-- that it's very subtle or makes sense for the story

Likely as a father, he can work it in and not have it be a public service announcement from Michael C Hall on don't try this.

I can't see the script not touching on that, at least a little bit, since it was personal to him. I don't expect woke, but I do expect a little awareness given in the past he didn't want to reprise this role again because of copycat concerns. The script is most likely going to address this in some way.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
here we go
73d2a3c372770975a3843afdbca3eeab.png

Fucker

Log Wizard
Watching this again. I've forgotten how exact my neice looks like Deb...just shorter.

• 1Mother of God

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Was there really copycat murders because of Dexter?

Several "copycat" cases unfortunately. But at least 2 to 3 were high profile cases in Canada if memory serves me right. If faded memory, whittle it down to 2 high profile cases. At least 1 of them had harrowing details, and that's what likely irked Michael C. Hall when he made that comment about copycats when people asked him about more Dexter.

The interviewer was like how about more Dexter, and Michael C. Hall was like "How about no".

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
its been a while, but isnt the "murder room" used previously in other movies? i keep thinking there was something in Snatch where Bricktop was going to kill the black dudes and put them into garbage bags?

why yes, here it is.
6:17
was Snatch more memorable than Dexter?

Last edited:

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
was Snatch more memorable than Dexter?

Apparently not, as the copycats had all Dexter merchandise, full size cardboard posters in their bedroom, chat logs, SMS records, et al

They had a lot of corroborating evidence that the show Dexter modeled their behavior.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Apparently not, as the copycats had all Dexter merchandise, full size cardboard posters in their bedroom, chat logs, SMS records, et al

They had a lot of corroborating evidence that the show Dexter modeled their behavior.
ahh ok, its still a heck of a weird fetish. i would think going to all that trouble would in itself be more risk than just walking up to someone wearing gloves and a mask and just killing them. god knows how many unsolved murders we have in our major cities and those people dont even bother with hiding their identity.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
ahh ok, its still a heck of a weird fetish. i would think going to all that trouble would in itself be more risk than just walking up to someone wearing gloves and a mask and just killing them. god knows how many unsolved murders we have in our major cities and those people dont even bother with hiding their identity.

I think they rationalized it if they do it like the character, then it's somehow OK. Conflating Dexter's code and how his character had self-permission to do the things he did.

But mental illness isn't rational. Some of the copycats were huge losers. Think the Canadian ones were basically just weirdos.

• 1Like