Dexter: New Blood

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Obsession is a bitch if you don't keep it in line.

I watched all 8 seasons of Dexter. Will give this a shot just because.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I think they rationalized it if they do it like the character, then it's somehow OK. Conflating Dexter's code and how his character had self-permission to do the things he did.

But mental illness isn't rational. Some of the copycats were huge losers. Think the Canadian ones were basically just weirdos.

Normally I'd argue that it's stupid to think a tv show turned normal people into murderers and that they would have been "inspired" by something else.

But holy fuck seasons 4+ were so bad I think they literally killed people

Fucker

Log Wizard
Normally I'd argue that it's stupid to think a tv show turned normal people into murderers and that they would have been "inspired" by something else.

But holy fuck seasons 4+ were so bad I think they literally killed people
We live in a world where people take Tide pod and Comet challenges and die from it. What was that one movie? HS football team showed how brave they were and laid down in traffic? Some team did that in real life with predictable results. I can totally buy into the idea of some goofball being inspired by a show and trying to replicate it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
We live in a world where people take Tide pod and Comet challenges and die from it. What was that one movie? HS football team showed how brave they were and laid down in traffic? Some team did that in real life with predictable results. I can totally buy into the idea of some goofball being inspired by a show and trying to replicate it.
agvD4v.gif

8LPE.gif

i really like her enthusiasm tho

"Hot water challenge ya'll"!!!

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I can totally buy into the idea of some goofball being inspired by a show and trying to replicate it.

Well we have a hard example with testimony from former high ranking mobsters that the Godfather movie changed the dress code and "respect" level of the existing mafias.

Basically every snitch has said at one time or another that the movie created this thing called "popcorn gangsters" guys that liked to dress up and play the part-- copying the movie. Whereas prior to the movie, this hadn't existed. Not since Myer Lanksy was running the streets in the decades prior. And was pretty much isolated just to Myer Lanksy pressuring mobsters individually to "step their game up" and believed mobsters needed to dress better.

The Godfather effect wasn't just dressing better though. It was an attitude, a set of behaviors. I could see how Dexter could inspire some behaviors in retards.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
We all know what this show really means by lumberjack years. Prepare yourself for the gay love.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Well we have a hard example with testimony from former high ranking mobsters that the Godfather movie changed the dress code and "respect" level of the existing mafias.

Basically every snitch has said at one time or another that the movie created this thing called "popcorn gangsters" guys that liked to dress up and play the part-- copying the movie. Whereas prior to the movie, this hadn't existed. Not since Myer Lanksy was running the streets in the decades prior. And was pretty much isolated just to Myer Lanksy pressuring mobsters individually to "step their game up" and believed mobsters needed to dress better.

The Godfather effect wasn't just dressing better though. It was an attitude, a set of behaviors. I could see how Dexter could inspire some behaviors in retards.
mobsters have been dressing up since forever, nice clothes, nice cars, nice houses. i dont recall in movies when mobsters were ever portrayed as slobs. before Don Corleone there was Humphrey Bogart, Edward G Robinson, and James Cagney. they all dressed up in sharp pin striped suits with their signature tommy guns. Don Corleone and his core beliefs wasnt invented by Mario Puzo or Francis Ford Coppolla. Corleone was based on other real life gangsters like Lucky Luciano and Al Capone. if anything, the mob guys in my neighborhood in the 70s and 80s dressed like everyday people. dressing like Don Corleone made you a target. in the 90s when i started going to after hours bars, these were mob joints and the cops stayed the fuck away from them. they dressed like your average guido. basically they dressed up back then because it was a trend to do so for the time. things have been getting less corporate and more casual for the last 30 years. when i was a kid my dad was a programmer at IBM and he had to wear a suit and tie every day just to sit at a desk . when he retired from Sony ten years ago, he was wearing just a regular shirt and pants.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
mobsters have been dressing up since forever, nice clothes, nice cars, nice houses. i dont recall in movies when mobsters were ever portrayed as slobs. before Don Corleone there was Humphrey Bogart, Edward G Robinson, and James Cagney. they all dressed up in sharp pin striped suits with their signature tommy guns. Don Corleone and his core beliefs wasnt invented by Mario Puzo or Francis Ford Coppolla. Corleone was based on other real life gangsters like Lucky Luciano and Al Capone. if anything, the mob guys in my neighborhood in the 70s and 80s dressed like everyday people. dressing like Don Corleone made you a target. in the 90s when i started going to after hours bars, these were mob joints and the cops stayed the fuck away from them. they dressed like your average guido. basically they dressed up back then because it was a trend to do so for the time. things have been getting less corporate and more casual for the last 30 years. when i was a kid my dad was a programmer at IBM and he had to wear a suit and tie every day just to sit at a desk . when he retired from Sony ten years ago, he was wearing just a regular shirt and pants.

wasn't really dressing up when everyone was expected to have a suit for job interviews

1920s mobsters were wearing their only article of clothing they owned often times

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Regarding Dexter, season 2 with Doaks was some top tier shit. Between that and the Trinity Killer was some damn fine TV.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
Regarding Dexter, season 2 with Doaks was some top tier shit. Between that and the Trinity Killer was some damn fine TV.
Doakes was a solid character. Dexter dispensing with the nerdy act and showing Doakes who he really was, was some good tv.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Doakes was a solid character. Dexter dispensing with the nerdy act and showing Doakes who he really was, was some good tv.
Doakes was the shit, dude saw right through Dexter's bullshit, he should have been the one to take him down, but the show made him too smart and thats why he got killed off so quickly. Dexter wasnt going to get taken out in season 2 and you couldnt have Doakes getting cockblocked from finding out the truth every season. at least not these show runners. Breaking Bad had no problems stringing Hank along for 5 seasons in a believable manner. they probably could have strung Hank along indefinitely. Dexter's writing team wasnt that good, so they had to kick Doakes off.
iu

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I put the Trinity season up there with the Doakes also. Both were serviceable seasons to the characters.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I could see how Dexter could inspire some behaviors in retards.

I could see how it could make people think that they could get away with it with the kill room and everything. I could definitely imagine some dim bulb thinking "There's no way I will get caught. Dexter never did!".

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I could see how it could make people think that they could get away with it with the kill room and everything. I could definitely imagine some dim bulb thinking "There's no way I will get caught. Dexter never did!".
I mean that Twitchell copycat who got linked didn't get caught by forensic evidence, he got caught because he did stupid shit that Dexter didn't do.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I mean that Twitchell copycat who got linked didn't get caught by forensic evidence, he got caught because he did stupid shit that Dexter didn't do.

You didn't see the episode where Dexter killed the guy and then stole his car then claimed he bought it for $40?

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
You didn't see the episode where Dexter killed the guy and then stole his car then claimed he bought it for $40?
I only watched the first three seasons and the intro to the first episode of the fifth season, but from what I've heard of the final 4 seasons it's possible Dexter actually did that.

• 1Worf

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
You skipped the Trinity Killer? Wow, that's crazy. Watch season 4, just for John Lithgow alone.

That's like saying you watched Westworld, but you only bothered with Seasons 2 and 3. Season 1 was too long ago.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
You skipped the Trinity Killer? Wow, that's crazy. Watch season 4, just for John Lithgow alone.

That's like saying you watched Westworld, but you only bothered with Seasons 2 and 3. Season 1 was too long ago.
No.

When I finished season 3 the app I was using jumped to the first episode of season 5 instead of the first season of episode 4 and the big shock ending of season 4 was spoiled for me. Fuck Dexter, fuck Plex, and fuck you too just because I'm mad now.

• 1Rustled