Diablo 3 - Reaper of Souls

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Stash tabs are essentially pointless. Most people still playing are doing seasons and you really don't need much space for that. I usually use 6-7 tabs per season.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Going to pass, Necromancer felt like shit to play on ptr. PoE expansion in another three weeks or so anyway.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Its not that 15$ is a lot for a character, its that D3 has got really boring, a long time ago.

It launched with a terrible single-player story, class balance was bad, items were extremely boring (remember when there weren't any set items or such) and balancing was off by a lot ( 2h with same max stat rolls as a single 1h, nice) ... the multiplayer was bad as a consequence. The PVP part of the game was a complete failure due to it also. The auction house was broken in many ways, and there have been a hilarious amount of gamebreaking bugs the first couple of years after launch (infinite archon was very funny, as was abusing snapshotting)

The game made a decent recovery from these issues, except pvp, but the lack of new meaningful content has really made it stale.

tl;dr: meh

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I have a few friends looking to start playing Diablo who've never even run a rift or completed the campaign in the base game. So looking forward to starting it up with them when the Necromancer is released.

Otherwise, game has gotten so meh. Firing up a new seasonal character and jumping to over 600 paragon feels relatively effortless and unrewarding. Why isn't there another game like this that looks and plays this well aside from maybe Torchlight?

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Why isn't there another game like this that looks and plays this well aside from maybe Torchlight?
I don't know, but i wish there was. I wish Path of Exile looked as good and played as smoothly because i would be playing the shit out of it, but i just couldn't get into (wish i could) no matter how much i liked their systems and the amount of content they have and provide.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
the best part of D3 was being able to influence AH timers by adjusting your system clock

nfc how i forget to mention that

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Although it is mostly a single player experience Van Helsing looks and plays fairly well for an ARPG. Like others have said PoE is super, super stiff and has it's own host of problems.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
A few buddies who got into Season play back in the winter would probably like to try this... except everyone would want to be a Necro and so the overall group dynamic is kinda blown with just the one new class. At least with the full expansion there was a lot of changes to the various existing classes that made people want to continue playing existing characters or character types.

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider
Derail Incoming:

I don't know, but i wish there was. I wish Path of Exile looked as good and played as smoothly because i would be playing the shit out of it, but i just couldn't get into (wish i could) no matter how much i liked their systems and the amount of content they have and provide.

I totally was in your camp for the past few years. I tried to get into PoE, but just couldn't, but then Deathwing mentioned in the PoE thread about this things called Flicker Strike and it piqued my interest, gave it a shot and it changed my mind on everything when I started to melt maps/zones at light speed. From there, I actually started to do some research in the game and found a couple of other really fun builds (Strength based Righteous Fire is what I'm playing now).

A slight variation of this next build I want to try when 3.0 is released:

Also, don't be afraid to Trade. Even though it's no AH, using PoE Trade does makes things pretty easy to gear up. Once I started to do this, it also made the game so much more enjoyable.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I think his complaint is about the PoE engine and the complaints are valid. Combat is very unsatisfying in PoE and feedback is almost non-existant. Some skills are better than others than side stepping how stiff everything feels but in the end you are just having shorter bursts of downtime between stiff animations.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
PoE definitely takes some effort to get into. I don't blame anyone for failing to get hooked. And even after some substantial time investment, some of the rough edges of the game never subside.

Honestly, PoE's biggest advantage is that it's the most popular ARPG with a full development team behind it.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, i think they have done a great job coming up with their systems and content, i especially like the socket system, but everything just feels clunky after playing D3 for so long. For all its numerous flaws, D3's gameplay is incredibly smooth and flowing and PoE's doesn't, it's jarring enough to me that i didn't enjoy it.

Malinatar

Lord Nagafen Raider
No I get it, definitely not the polish that there is in D3, but we all know this. My biggest gripe with PoE is the XP penalty at the later stages (Lvl 85+) in the game coupled with the one-shot kill mechanic. I might be in the minority in the PoE community with this viewpoint...

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I barely notice any difference in engine/gameplay polish between D3 and PoE now (and my last couple builds have been ones with enough projectiles and effects that they would have caused lag and fps problems in the past). It's just that PoE still has the worst loot system ever devised by man, and as long as Chris Wilson is running the show it's never going to change significantly.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I still want to run rifts and stuff with all of the Heroes of the Storm characters (and themed for some of the worlds they're from). Make it happen Blizzard. Microtransact me bro.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
No I get it, definitely not the polish that there is in D3, but we all know this. My biggest gripe with PoE is the XP penalty at the later stages (Lvl 85+) in the game coupled with the one-shot kill mechanic. I might be in the minority in the PoE community with this viewpoint...

Yeah, never played D3, but I hear you on the one shots/reflects/etc in the 85+ game and the retarded 10% EXP loss. One bad map can literally fuck you out of hours and hours of exp at those levels if you try to complete it. I also agree with Vorph about the retarded loot system. I think from my 6 months playing this game I have found like 5 good items aside some of the legendary loot drops. Too many prefixes, too many suffixes to roll from which means .01% drop rate on shit thats actually good. If you want to craft something from a good base? Yeah, good luck with that too. Its like pulling a slot machine at vegas and hoping for that $10,000 jackpot while your currency is quickly eaten up. Plus this latest expansion even adds more prefixes and suffixes to the mix and you can guess what that does to roll %.

Even the skill tree coupled with the gems, looks on the surface as such a magnificently complex and open ended system, but when you play it for a while, you begin to realize that in order to have clear speed and survivability in the end game 85+ level maps, you are hamstrung into taking certain nodes (like leech+vaal pact) and only certain skills are viable. dont get me wrong many skills scale well, but only a few are the "meta" of quick and safe screen clearing. Like try to take any life based melee build (my style) to 100 without 100+ exalts worth of gear.

The trading system is retarded as well. Some scoff at the idea of a auction house type system, but I think they are just being retarded or like to scam people and are afraid of the AH doing away with that/normalizing item worth.

Last edited:

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I barely notice any difference in engine/gameplay polish between D3 and PoE now (and my last couple builds have been ones with enough projectiles and effects that they would have caused lag and fps problems in the past). It's just that PoE still has the worst loot system ever devised by man, and as long as Chris Wilson is running the show it's never going to change significantly.
I bypass the janky movement skills by basically never using them. Leap Slam or Flame Dash for bypass obstacles and I'll use Shield Charge if I can. Otherwise, I just use a quicksilver flask of adrenaline. Keeps up with shield charge spam just fine.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I still want to run rifts and stuff with all of the Heroes of the Storm characters (and themed for some of the worlds they're from). Make it happen Blizzard. Microtransact me bro.

I do think it would be relatively easy to make a Diablo-like game akin to the Marvel Super Heroes title that makes use of the various characters in the Blizzard Extended Universe. Maybe such a thing is too meta derivative even for them?

Then again I'm a bit surprised that there hasn't been even one HOTS character that originates in HOTS itself. Perhaps that also crosses the meta-4th-wall.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Best quote of the day, "I spent $15 at taco bell last week and all I got out of it was an hour on the toilet.. The Necro pack is worth $15 get over it."

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user