Diablo 4 / IV / IIII / Fore / Cope / Seethe

Argarth

On the verandah
Look at how effective selling a 4 day headstart was. Once you see streamers paying $100 to get to the "awesome stuff" past the 2 month faction grind gatekeeper casual Timmy won't be able to suck dick fast enough to pay blizzard for the privilege.
LOL, yeah if there's money on the table, they'll take it for sure. I'll probably wait for the inevitable week 1 patch.
If I can contain myself that is... and now that I've said it, I'm not so sure anymore.

Season 1 doesn't start until a week after release either, last I heard, so yeah it's free money. I wonder if they laugh about this shit in meetings?

Juvarisx

Florida
They have already said the battlepass will not be any form of player power. The xp pots and boosts will be on the free track so you can raise alts quickly during seasons, the premium track is the seasonal cosmetics they want to sell.

The in-game shop will likely have additional skips, xp pots, static mounts / mount armor, static cosmetics etc.

This shit isn't complicated. 70 bucks for base game, 90 for base game + first seasonal cosmetic, $100 for base game + seasonal cosmetic, and a skip so you can wear it day 1.

If you want to see an example of a shit battle pass go look at PoE's. Was talking to Darkee about this the other day, XP pots or skips are fine. If PoE offered an oppertunity to skip the story after the first time doing it per season for like $20, they would make so much fucking money. Chris Wilson is going to Chris Wilson though.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
In my like 600 hours of POE time to get to Uber Elder across 4 leagues I paid like $20. Just so I could have the stash organized.

That was some value.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Argarth

On the verandah
As long as the cash shop items are limited to cock rings for your horse mount and at most inventory storage as a game modifier I won't complain. I just don't think for a single second that that is all there will be. Since we already know the game will have dailies and WoW format faction grinds and gatekeeping they will eventually start selling something to reduce that gatekeeping. They are already de facto selling a 4 day headstart .

Seasonal Battlepasses that go on for years that you need to buy every 90 days? Now that is something I do think is coming.
Just remembering Marvel Heroes (F2P but still, also couldn't buy player power), I probably spent close to $400 on costumes, heroes, and storage over the 2-3 years I was heavily addicted, and I don't regret any of it. Storage space was basically mandatory (like PoE) but I could have earned the heroes by grinding, and of course the costumes were optional.

I don't have a problem with this sort of stuff either. It really depends on how much fun I'm having as to how much I'm happy to spend.

• 2Solidarity

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
^^ They've stated categorically a number of times, that you can't buy player power in D4. Calling it soft, medium, hard or some other dumb term doesn't change anything.

Your entire post can be reduced to one sentence - "I still think they're lying, and if you don't agree, you're probably delusional."

What was the ""probably"' for? Is that your escape clause? LMAO you must be bored to write this drivel.

I'm not sure if you are aware of this but...businesses lie. Like ALL the time.

They TRY not to lie about things that get them sued, but they still do.

Inventory storage, mounts, barbie doll dress up clothes, probably materials, progression speed, quicker in game acquisition of items, any various levels of force multipliers to amplify your game play sessions

Don't forget insta levels, I know you said "Progression Speed" but you know "Instant level 80!" is gunna be for sale in short order, likely free for the first release. Their justification will be "It's not max level!"

Seasonal Battlepasses that go on for years that you need to buy every 90 days? Now that is something I do think is coming.

I just want a solid answer on "Vaulting" of content.

I know it's a possibility at the table of "Seasonal Passes" because Destiny does it, Warframe does it and I'm guessing more games that I never played do it.

I really don't think I'm gunna get an answer to this until release or even after the first major "Season" they have comes to a close.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
At some point they will probably sell gold, obols, veiled crystals, abstruse sigils, coiling wards, forgotten souls, scattered prisms, nightmare sigils, and ancestral sigils.

None of these directly give "player power" but all of them will be needed, especially gold in high quantities as everything that uses it ramps up very quickly.

Doomsayers will say "They're just selling player power indirectly!" and white knights will say "You don't HAVE to buy any of it, you can just farm it in-game!"

and round and round this argument will go again and again.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
Just remembering Marvel Heroes (F2P but still, also couldn't buy player power), I probably spent close to $400 on costumes, heroes, and storage over the 2-3 years I was heavily addicted, and I don't regret any of it. Storage space was basically mandatory (like PoE) but I could have earned the heroes by grinding, and of course the costumes were optional.

I don't have a problem with this sort of stuff either. It really depends on how much fun I'm having as to how much I'm happy to spend.
Marvel Heroes was the game that broke me on spending money on games. I had all the heroes, and was constantly spending 20 here and 20 there. Near the end I put together a spreadsheet and realized I could have built a PC with all the money I had 20 and 30 dollar at a time spent on the game. I dearly loved it and probably played 3000+ hours but look at where all that money is today.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 5 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Marvel Heroes was the game that broke me on spending money on games. I had all the heroes, and was constantly spending 20 here and 20 there. Near the end I put together a spreadsheet and realized I could have built a PC with all the money I had 20 and 30 dollar at a time spent on the game. I dearly loved it and probably played 3000+ hours but look at where all that money is today.

I played the fuck out of Marvel Heroes and don't remember spending a dime, I don't even have any memory of it having a cash shop or anything. What the fuck did you spend that money on?

Chris

Potato del Grande
They are putting a battle pass in a full price game, people are right to be suspicious.

Given Diablo Immortal's battle pass structures, indirect player power boosts are likely and that is all we know right now.

Obols being purchasable so you can gamble legendaries and get power via more optimal equipment is a reasonable guess.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Citation needed.
Here you go dumbfuck.

Capture2.JPG.png

define the word "probably"

• 5Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 8 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
^^ They've stated categorically a number of times, that you can't buy player power in D4. Calling it soft, medium, hard or some other dumb term doesn't change anything.

Your entire post can be reduced to one sentence - "I still think they're lying, and if you don't agree, you're probably delusional."

What was the ""probably"' for? Is that your escape clause? LMAO you must be bored to write this drivel.
People somehow fucking forgot that for God knows how long, that Chinese fuck that was heading up Diablo Immortal was saying "You cant buy player power." Then followed it up with "You cannot buy player gear!" etc. etc. All of that bullshit only for everyone to find out after the completely ripped out everything from the beta of Immortal and strapped on a dildo in the ass kind of cash shop for retail, that you buy fucking gems indirectly through a fucking Crest Key system or w/e the hell they wanted to call it. So no, you cant buy player power. But you can buy the goddamn crests that give you the gems that are fucking tied to player power. THAT is why people are sketch about trusting Blizzard about the cash shop shit right now.

Its one of the reasons I paid attention to and brought up the "Dungeon Reset" bullshit in an earlier post. For it to be so up front and center just seems suspicious. Nevermind all the other little suspicious bullshit.
At some point they will probably sell gold, obols, veiled crystals, abstruse sigils, coiling wards, forgotten souls, scattered prisms, nightmare sigils, and ancestral sigils.

None of these directly give "player power" but all of them will be needed, especially gold in high quantities as everything that uses it ramps up very quickly.

Doomsayers will say "They're just selling player power indirectly!" and white knights will say "You don't HAVE to buy any of it, you can just farm it in-game!"

and round and round this argument will go again and again.
Its almost a definite that they are going to have all the crafting mats. There are 100 levels in this beta pass and its suppose to take a casual person 75 hours over three months to complete the battle pass. You can complete it faster or slower. For it to have a Freemium and a Premium route, does anyone really think they wont have shit like Obols in it? etc.? My question is what happens if you dont complete it in time? Will you lose the rest of the battle pass to the new season? We already know theyre going to have the equivalent of an "exp potion" or whatever. So whats to stop them from having a +Luck Potion or any other type of modifier thats "Not player power" but you know you want to say "Motherfucker, it is fucking player power cause it'll indirectly give me more chances at a legendary!" Just as you said.

Outside of all that - I just dont understand why anyone gives two flying fucks about what is or isnt in the battle pass. I know thats not the popular opinion but I rarely, if ever, buy that type of shit. I think Lost Ark got the most money out of me for that Platinum Pack. I got over thousand hours out of the game before the giving up on it and thats pennies per hour spent. I'm almost confident that D4 will be the same way even with a cash shop.

• 2Like

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
I played the fuck out of Marvel Heroes and don't remember spending a dime, I don't even have any memory of it having a cash shop or anything. What the fuck did you spend that money on?
Costumes, heroes, and various drop and XP boosts: I owned every character and took 7? I think to Cosmic. It was a lot of unique drops and XP I was farming. I'm not proud, sheesh. Just the initial Ultimate hero pack was $200. I really, truly, loved that game. I was all in.

Even though its not much money really as far as hobbies and what I could spend, ala drinking or fishing, I am super measured about it now. I have buddies that will easily spend more than what I spent on Marvel heroes on a weekend in Vegas or Lake Charles, or on a hunting trip to Wyoming or West Texas. Literally burning money is something you do when you think you are going to live forever.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Outside of all that - I just dont understand why anyone gives two flying fucks about what is or isnt in the battle pass. I know thats not the popular opinion but I rarely, if ever, buy that type of shit. I think Lost Ark got the most money out of me for that Platinum Pack. I got over thousand hours out of the game before the giving up on it and thats pennies per hour spent. I'm almost confident that D4 will be the same way even with a cash shop.

People probably wouldn't care if it existed in a vacuum, but it doesn't. The game will be timegated, limiting resource gain potential which limits progression based on a schedule that Blizzard determines for you as a player.

So if a battle pass is providing you a way to bypass those progression locks its usually a certainty that those progression locks are put in place to entice players to spend money on the battle pass or individual boosts.

The specifics aren't released yet but it's not exactly a stretch to expect that. And that's why people give a shit.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It's kind of weird to call something a boost if it's available to anyone and everyone. It's baseline at that point. So why is it called a boost?

That's pretty nebulous.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users