Diablo 4 / IV / IIII / Fore / Cope / Seethe

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Sadly, too many normies out there who will just go FUCK YEAH NEW DIABLO, and sink money sight unseen.

Having never even played a Diablo before.

'Memba Hogwarts pandering is enough. Look at that badass blood bro.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Do we know if its going to be just another 10ish main abilities with a bunch of variations that get old quickly?

bolok

Trakanon Raider
Some cash shop shit I don't mind like mainly QOL stuff such as larger bank space, more character slots, name changes, char creation looks reset etc. Just no damn skins and/or direct buying of items.
Bag space and slots is 100% worse than cosmetics. POE for example, you'd have to be retarded or a masochist to even attempt to play that without the various inventory tabs $$$$. What sort of ethical game makes your actual gameplay experience shittier unless you cash up?
Looks and namechanges- eh whatever. Having to pay for that shit, just reeks of greed but whatever.

bolok

Trakanon Raider
Do we know if its going to be just another 10ish main abilities with a bunch of variations that get old quickly?
Doesn't seem to be the d3 skill system with eg colored skill options. But I don't think it's really clear yet. Tho there will only be soo many options of skill regardless. You still seem to have a limited number slotted.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Immortal furor is highly unlikely to reach any sort of mass audience.
lol it's literally taken over youtube and twitch, the idea it's not likely to reach a mass audience is ridiculous.

bolok

Trakanon Raider
lol it's literally taken over youtube and twitch, the idea it's not likely to reach a mass audience is ridiculous.
My point was I highly doubt it will impact Diablo 4 sales in the least. Not that that's a readily provable position in any reasonable way. But D4 selling gangbusters for the initial release is pretty much a lock. I make no claims about the long term situation.

Last edited:

Leviothan

Trakanon Raider
Diablo as a franchise is old. It caters to an older gen of gamers now. I'd say that between Diablo 2 Remake, Diablo Immortal, the shambles of good will in WoW is going to do more to hurt the sales of Diablo 4. Yeah a bunch of people will ignore that but I think the faith Blizzard has been losing it going to be reflected with each new title they release.

Yes, they'll still sell like they have in the past but their public image and their long term monetization projections are going to reach their investors.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Bag space and slots is 100% worse than cosmetics... Having to pay for that shit, just reeks of greed but whatever.
Disagree. Games cost money to make and I don't mind paying a few bucks to get to baseline utility once I know I like the game. F2P mode is a convenience-compromised demo, not a full-service perpetual right. I feel much worse about buying cosmetics that don't do anything for me.

As far as D4, I'm not sure what I think. They said most of the right words, but all that gameplay footage feels stiff to me. There's no meat to the acceleration of the animations; everything is zero to flat speed without intent. I'll reserve judgement until I see the finished product.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
The new trailers make the game look better than expected but I'm still worried it's gonna be too much like D3, with everyone having every skill all the time, free respecs, no consequences, no meaningful skill tree choices, etc. I hope I'm wrong.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
"Rememba Diablo The Video Game" will sell a lot of boxes.

They have signaled as of the teaser last year that D4 will do anything and everything to pander to core fans. Said pandering won't get me to say the game looks good.

I'll reserve judgement for the beta.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
One thing that’s a plus they have been listening to the fan base feedback. Take for example D2R, all the suggestions that was made a lot of them happened. I know it’s not the same team but I’m hoping they will take example from the D2R team and actually listen.

Last edited:

Cybsled

The new trailers make the game look better than expected but I'm still worried it's gonna be too much like D3, with everyone having every skill all the time, free respecs, no consequences, no meaningful skill tree choices, etc. I hope I'm wrong.

Free/Cheap respecs is fine. All expensive respecs do is make players go online and lookup "best skills for (insert class here)". Free/Cheap respecs is good because it encourages players to experiment with builds.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

bolok

Trakanon Raider
Disagree. Games cost money to make and I don't mind paying a few bucks to get to baseline utility once I know I like the game. F2P mode is a convenience-compromised demo, not a full-service perpetual right. I feel much worse about buying cosmetics that don't do anything for me.

As far as D4, I'm not sure what I think. They said most of the right words, but all that gameplay footage feels stiff to me. There's no meat to the acceleration of the animations; everything is zero to flat speed without intent. I'll reserve judgement until I see the finished product.
Thats some skeezy quote editing. But whatever. I disagree. I think its predatory, and disingenous at the very least. Yeah you can play the game, but it'll suck balls unless you cough up more than the game would have cost normally. Yes nothing is free, but hiding that behind a veneer is gross. A demo is a demo, no one is compelling you to release the full game as a demo.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Thats some skeezy quote editing.
Sorry, I didn't mean to misrepresent anything with the edit. Were you not making the point that utility microtransactions are bad?

But whatever. I disagree. I think its predatory, and disingenous at the very least. Yeah you can play the game, but it'll suck balls unless you cough up more than the game would have cost normally.

I think I paid maybe $30 total in stash tabs for however many hundreds of hours I played in PoE. I fail to see the abusive part.

Free/Cheap respecs is fine. All expensive respecs do is make players go online and lookup "best skills for (insert class here)". Free/Cheap respecs is good because it encourages players to experiment with builds.
Yeah, there's nothing fun about scrapping dozens of hours of gameplay investment because some mechanic didn't pan out the way you thought it would.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I don’t mind cosmetics but to a certain point. They were fine in PoE for me but I hated them in Lost Ark. There was nothing worse than seeing players dressed in a bright lime green bear costume holding a blow up hammer. I wish games had a feature that either you can turn off other players cosmetics or you can only see just your own.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

Lost Ark's real problem for cosmetics is they tied game critical stats to them. It isn't just "look cool/wacky", it is "want to talk to this NPC to get this skill point potion? Equip this pink bear hat with +20 charisma or get fucked"

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Lost Ark's real problem for cosmetics is they tied game critical stats to them. It isn't just "look cool/wacky", it is "want to talk to this NPC to get this skill point potion? Equip this pink bear hat with +20 charisma or get fucked"
I did not know that. I quit Lost Ark a month after its Western release.

bolok

Trakanon Raider
Sorry, I didn't mean to misrepresent anything with the edit. Were you not making the point that utility microtransactions are bad?

I think I paid maybe $30 total in stash tabs for however many hundreds of hours I played in PoE. I fail to see the abusive part.

Yeah, there's nothing fun about scrapping dozens of hours of gameplay investment because some mechanic didn't pan out the way you thought it would.
Can't be assed to format this properly but:
Yes, but you were eliding all the context.
I'm in the general expenditure case for POE, but it turns out I would have felt WAY better to have paid the 30 up front. So instead, i uninstalled the game and am likely to never play it again.

And bonus reply tho it wasn't pointed at me. And I 100% know i'm in the minority on that at this point in time. Free respecs devalue any character identity. One of the primary reasons d3 repulsed me so much. If yer game is so garbage it isn't worth playing through again with a new character in mind. it's a trash game.

Argarth

On the verandah
The game looks fucking great. Love the aesthetic. Full Crossplay is awesome. My only real gaming buddy these days is an XBox lifer and plays nothing else.

All the negative Immortal publicity might even end up working in D4's favour, (sales wise) "IF and only IF" what they said about Seasons/Xpacs turns out to be true and you absolutely cannot buy player power. If that comes to pass, and is fundamental to the core design, then I'll buy it, heave sigh of relief, and look FORWARD to many more years of Diablo.

They can't be forgiven for Immortal, but I will go to confession and ask for absolution for the few days I spent playing it this week. Then I'll just forget it.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
They replied to this worry already. Full game cost at release, only cost in game will be cosmetic, anything else will be paid expansions.

Well they say that now, but... who knows. Maybe Immortal makes so much money execs gives orders to change that before release.
Diablo Immortal is made (by and) for the asian market, with squeezing some money from the west as an aftertought. Diablo IV is made for the western audiences primarily. They know if it fails here, it fails, period.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users