Diablo 4 / IV / IIII / Fore / Cope / Seethe

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If D4 has aspirational bosses like PoE does, it will give the grind more a reason than just bigger numbers. Finish the Story and start doing the generic grind of Dailies / Bounties / Nightmare Dungeons to get gear so you could go fight D4's version of Elder / Guardians, etc. That is something D3 endgame lacks.

D3 for me at least was "Is thew new seasons interesting enough?" , If yes, play it. Finish season journey, mess around in rifts for a bit, then quit and go back to some other game. While those play times individually were not a lot(maybe a week or two) , all together it was a good amount of hours. I wouldn't mind having more to do though, but like anything in games, after the first time or couple times, its back to normal routine.

Cant say I would hate if they brought the seasons aspect here. THough these days, why do that when you can charge for a battle pass or something.

Last edited:
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
What's a good example of an aspirational boss in PoE? I don't remember them, but last I played was a while ago.
There's 10-20 aspirational bosses in PoE depending on how geared up a player likes to be before portal rushing a boss. For example, The Shaper used to be an aspirational boss but on softcore trade, it's quite easy to gear yourself up to essentially power creep the fight. You still have to have to dodge the mechanics on most builds, which is why it's debatable as to whether it should be included or not.

I would say the best examples of aspirational bosses in PoE are Aul and The Feared. The deeper you go in the delve mines, the harder Aul gets. It sucks that you have no control over what random modifiers the encounter gets though.

The Feared is a Maven Invitation of 5 previously classic aspirational bosses: Shaper, Elder, Atziri, Cortex, and Chayula. They've had a few of their abilities removed as they simply wouldn't work in a different fight. Maven will randomly increase the difficulty by cloning a boss temporarily or slowing the player, etc. The player can decide how hard the fight will be by changing the map affixes. This includes releasing all 5 at once. They typically start at 2 and are staggered out on a timer. There are atlas passives that can double the effectiveness of the map affixes.

Until this league, The Feared all at once was the build showcase fight. Aul can be harder, but that's more difficult to obtain. With Uber version of many previous aspirational bosses, the build showcase is probably Uber Sirus(bullshit), Uber Searing Exarch, and Uber Eater of Worlds. The latter two can have map affixes, and atlas passives can double their effect. A build that can survive Uber Exarch's or Uber Eater's "avoid this or die" moves while they have 40% increased action speed is probably the best way to show off a build currently.

• 1Like

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
Open world / many players isn't exciting in this kind of game where group cooperation mechanics are light. Coop works best in these games where players can coordinate and wombo combo mobs. But when it's just mass chaos with every player serving as self-healing DPS with minimal coordination, it gets kind of boring.

Still, even I'm pessimistic about whatever they're trying to innovate, I'm glad they're trying.

Fuck innovation. Make a classic ARPG with a good loop, fantastic art and level design, loot, and build variety. Thats it, take the ARPG formula, and implement it to its highest degree. You want innovation? You know what innovation gets you these days? Copy of whatever Asian metagaming formulas are bringing in the most cash. Innovation means daily task grind over and over and over for incremental stat power up. Innovation is microtransaction gaming as a service. No AAA company is going to innovate in the ways you think.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Fuck innovation. Make a classic ARPG with a good loop, fantastic art and level design, loot, and build variety. Thats it, take the ARPG formula, and implement it to its highest degree. You want innovation? You know what innovation gets you these days? Copy of whatever Asian metagaming formulas are bringing in the most cash. Innovation means daily task grind over and over and over for incremental stat power up. Innovation is microtransaction gaming as a service. No AAA company is going to innovate in the ways you think.

Exactly Blizzard needs to get back to its roots which is simply stealing shit from others, then polishing it. Steal the best from games, polish it, make money. Thats the Blizzard I want.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Exactly Blizzard needs to get back to its roots which is simply stealing shit from others, then polishing it. Steal the best from games, polish it, make money. Thats the Blizzard I want.
The old Blizzard would be busy trying to figure out how to steal things from Elden Ring and make it better. The new Blizzard is trying to figure out how to steal things from Candy Crush to make more money.

This game will suck, but people will play it anyways.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Rustled
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
That Blizzard has left the company. E.g. the whole StarCraft team (Team 1) from Blizzard quit and is making an RTS, because Fat Bobby wouldn't let them make another one. Lots of other people went as well, because basically the bean counters run the ship at Blizzard now. And that killed creativity.

Guess who is funding all those ex-Blizzard employee startups? Mike Morhaime and Riot.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That Blizzard has left the company. E.g. the whole StarCraft team (Team 1) from Blizzard quit and is making an RTS, because Fat Bobby wouldn't let them make another one. Lots of other people went as well, because basically the bean counters run the ship at Blizzard now. And that killed creativity.

Guess who is funding all those ex-Blizzard employee startups? Mike Morhaime and Riot.
Michael Morhaime's Dreamhaven and its two studios arent what Im paying attention to. Frost Giant, however, with its Stormgate game is probably something to look out for if you're an RTS fan. Im pretty pumped about it since Im a huge RTS fan and quite a few named and unnamed employees from Starcraft 2 went there. I just hope their F2P plans arent complete nonsense and are more in line with Riot's traditional monetization. (One of the guys on the SC2 team that works there now was actually in the FoH WoW guild during Legion so maybe Im biased.)

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
No AAA company is going to innovate in the ways you think.
I dispute this. The last AAA game I played, Elden Ring, innovated in a very positive way. If you replaced "Blizzard isn't going to innovate in the ways you want", I'd agree.

I understand why you'd prefer Blizzard just tries to polish and modernize Diablo3, but personally I'm not interested. Just done it too many times, brother.

• 1Like

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Does it need to be isometric? Are we even able to offer a product that hopes to compete with PoE/2.0?

Are there ARPGs out there with free cameras I’m not thinking of?

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What's a good example of an aspirational boss in PoE? I don't remember them, but last I played was a while ago.
League Bosses, Elder, Shaper, Uber Elder, Guardians. Special bosses that you have to intentionally go after, rather than a Map boss.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
League Bosses, Elder, Shaper, Uber Elder, Guardians. Special bosses that you have to intentionally go after, rather than a Map boss.
Even Eternal Izaro could be considered aspirational depending on your level of commitment. It's certainly a major achievement the first time you do it.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Not only that, but they just added Uber bosses. So it's the same boss, but with new mechanics, your damage is less effective, and it (generally) has some new drops that only drop from that version. Some of the content like Shaper/Elder were completely laughable due to power creep over 10+ seasons, but people really liked the fights so they just made an Uber version you can turn on that makes it challenging for anyone, and impossible for most. Some of the rewards are kinda shit, but doing them all once does feel pretty good.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Diablo 4 quarterly update. Lots of info on the necromancer class.

• 1Like

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Michael Morhaime's Dreamhaven and its two studios arent what Im paying attention to. Frost Giant, however, with its Stormgate game is probably something to look out for if you're an RTS fan. Im pretty pumped about it since Im a huge RTS fan and quite a few named and unnamed employees from Starcraft 2 went there. I just hope their F2P plans arent complete nonsense and are more in line with Riot's traditional monetization. (One of the guys on the SC2 team that works there now was actually in the FoH WoW guild during Legion so maybe Im biased.)

The ultra woke insane lady who me tooed Furor works at Frosr Gaint now.

• 2Worf
  • 1Rustled
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users