Diablo 4 / IV / IIII / Fore / Cope / Seethe

Chris

Potato del Grande
Diablo Immortal is made (by and) for the asian market, with squeezing some money from the west as an aftertought. Diablo IV is made for the western audiences primarily. They know if it fails here, it fails, period.
By yes, for maybe not. Look at the server list, there are huge amounts of NA and EU servers and a handful for each Asian country.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I bet the reason why there’s no paladin is probably due to the story. Some kind of shit where there are no longer any holy warriors left in Sanctuary. Thus the reason for the absence of paladins and monks.
And two expansion sets at $39.95 to add them.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I'm in the general expenditure case for POE, but it turns out I would have felt WAY better to have paid the 30 up front. So instead, i uninstalled the game and am likely to never play it again.
That's the general problem with F2P (which is always P2P in truth). The design of the game is always altered or straight out made so that you will be enticed to pay something. That's a core philosophy for F2P: They add problems/difficulties in the design, then they sell you a solution for cash.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
lol, you want to try that sentence again chief?
He's saying that it was done by asians (truth) but intended for the west (maybe technically true?). It launched mainly in the west, but it's a game design that is entirely for the asian market. The studio that did it made it as if they were for the chinese, not americans/euros.

The number of whales that will purchase stuff here is a lot lower. It will earn its money back, but from the east, not EU/NA.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
He's saying that it was done by asians (truth) but intended for the west (maybe technically true?). It launched mainly in the west, but it's a game design that is entirely for the asian market. The studio that did it made it as if they were for the chinese, not americans/euros.

The number of whales that will purchase stuff here is a lot lower. It will earn its money back, but from the east, not EU/NA.

Yep 6 million dollars in initial earnings didn't sound all that great to me.

We'll see if Immortal gains steam with whales next earnings report, but as you said, it's not all that likely due to the Asian design.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Yep 6 million dollars in initial earnings didn't sound all that great to me.

We'll see if Immortal gains steam with whales next earnings report, but as you said, it's not all that likely due to the Asian design.
To be honest, the design is there to slowly train you into spending. You get bundles unlocked over time (each successively more expensive) before you start looking at the real packs of premium currency. So, whales start only later into the game...

Also love the bundle that gives 48 of whatever (can't remember), where the best item from that particular individual currency requires 50. Meaning you next have to wait 1 month because that's how long it takes to get those last two... or purchase the rest.

It's all so adorable...

Chris

Potato del Grande
lol, you want to try that sentence again chief?
No, that's exactly what I wanted to say. Read the quoted post too.

I'm saying that there are A LOT of western servers and not many eastern servers, so I'm doubting that it's aimed at Asia.

If they scaled servers to demand then at the very least they fucked up their marketing.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
The trailer looked ok? I don't get some of the extreme reactions here, both people thinking this looks really good and terrible. Graphics are ok, animation still look somewhat off to me not too sure why, style is fine I don't mind it, I didn't mind D3 that much either, do find funny that they push this really grim and violent thing and then the bodies of people strung all over the place still have perfectly placed clothes over genitals, but I guess you can't do that much about ESRB ratings and shit(although PoE has some naked bodies here and there for example).

I also noped the fuck out after noticing the lack of dead body dicks.

Fuck Blizzard

• 1Worf

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I also noped the fuck out after noticing the lack of dead body dicks.

Fuck Blizzard
What I meant specifically was at :25, they're talking about how it's "gory and unnerving" and there's a bunch of bodies strung out on the walls and ground, and they all wear convenient leather underclothes. Again understandable because of rating but "funny" nonetheless that a dozen or so of bodies in that pictures happen to all still have perfectly placed underwear on them, instead of just going with a more "up to the imagination" rendition with scraps of clothes/rags kind of thing. Like in a way it's too "neat" even though it's supposed to shock you with bodies. Obviously it's a minor thing but it jumped to me early in the video so I remembered it.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Trailer looked fine. Showing an ultra grim-dark footage is perfect because it's an important brand identifier. PoE and other games have some pretty gruesome biomes but it's not core to their heritage like Diablo. Even if they expose 8ish major biomes, you need to flex on that "this is the literal hell that Amish are afraid of when they find themselves enjoying music with a beat". Especially after the Diablo3 debacle where it literally looked like isometric WoW.

As someone who went hard in Diablo 1/2/3 and PoE and played a bunch of other isometric ARPGs, I'm going to need something compelling about this game other than a big budget to get me to play it. Isometric game on 1080p can only look so good, so you don't get the same generational benefit of first/third person games stretching the boundaries of graphics. It's been over 10 years since Diablo3 and Path of Exile, they need to innovate on this or at the very least capture the top features of other games into a streamlined and fun system.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
How about stop supporting this nightmare on good principal

• 2Dislike
  • 1Slow
  • 1Edgelord
Reactions: 4 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
What I meant specifically was at :25, they're talking about how it's "gory and unnerving" and there's a bunch of bodies strung out on the walls and ground, and they all wear convenient leather underclothes. Again understandable because of rating but "funny" nonetheless that a dozen or so of bodies in that pictures happen to all still have perfectly placed underwear on them, instead of just going with a more "up to the imagination" rendition with scraps of clothes/rags kind of thing. Like in a way it's too "neat" even though it's supposed to shock you with bodies. Obviously it's a minor thing but it jumped to me early in the video so I remembered it.
In a way, I understand what you're getting at. In a Dante's Inferno type of setting, there would be some randomized naked shit going in in places. But be honest with yourself, do you really want the type of employees that work at Blizzard-Activision to have control over how many dicks are on the screen at one time?

Trailer looked fine. Showing an ultra grim-dark footage is perfect because it's an important brand identifier. Even if they expose 8ish major biomes, you need to flex on that "this is the literal hell that Amish are afraid of when they find themselves enjoying music with a beat". Especially after the Diablo3 debacle where it literally looked like isometric WoW.

As someone who went hard in Diablo 1/2/3 and PoE and played a bunch of other isometric ARPGs, I'm going to need something compelling about this game other than a big budget to get me to play it. Isometric game on 1080p can only look so good, so you don't get the same generational benefit of first/third person games stretching the boundaries of graphics. It's been over 10 years since Diablo3 and Path of Exile, they need to innovate on this or at the very least capture the top features of other games into a streamlined and fun system.
I think what they are really trying to push is the open world shit. If its anything like Diablo Immortal, I better be able to turn it the fuck off. That shit was just awful. The raid boss type shit is the only thing that looked pretty fucking cool - but its not something that I want to do with a bunch of fucking rando's in an unorganized spur of the moment setting. I also noticed they had a lot more of the elevation changes than what Im used to in the Diablo universe. Maybe they learned a thing or two from Lost Ark/PoE level design. But like others have said, the majority of the weight of this game for me is going to be the end game and how they monetize it.

• 2Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I think what they are really trying to push is the open world shit. If its anything like Diablo Immortal, I better be able to turn it the fuck off. That shit was just awful. The raid boss type shit is the only thing that looked pretty fucking cool - but its not something that I want to do with a bunch of fucking rando's in an unorganized spur of the moment setting. I also noticed they had a lot more of the elevation changes than what Im used to in the Diablo universe. Maybe they learned a thing or two from Lost Ark/PoE level design. But like others have said, the majority of the weight of this game for me is going to be the end game and how they monetize it.
Open world / many players isn't exciting in this kind of game where group cooperation mechanics are light. Coop works best in these games where players can coordinate and wombo combo mobs. But when it's just mass chaos with every player serving as self-healing DPS with minimal coordination, it gets kind of boring.

Still, even I'm pessimistic about whatever they're trying to innovate, I'm glad they're trying.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Like with POE, Diablo 4 will make or break itself on how engaging the grinds are. Which I haven't really seen much information about.

I played POE for like 3 leagues enough to learn what I needed and get past Uber Elder then I kind of just dropped the game and haven't played since. But it was an enjoyable 400+ hours getting to that point. If D4 can offer something similar I'm down.

• 2Like

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
diablo subreddit is hilarious

Also, Diablo 4 could very well be Blizz' last hurrah because they simply don't have any more IP's to ruin. Unless they wanna do Blackthrone: Resurrected or something. Which would actually be fucking cool if they'weren't such a shit company

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Like with POE, Diablo 4 will make or break itself on how engaging the grinds are. Which I haven't really seen much information about.

I played POE for like 3 leagues enough to learn what I needed and get past Uber Elder then I kind of just dropped the game and haven't played since. But it was an enjoyable 400+ hours getting to that point. If D4 can offer something similar I'm down.
Did you know there's an Uber Uber Elder now?

Not joking.

• 2Worf

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If D4 has aspirational bosses like PoE does, it will give the grind more a reason than just bigger numbers. Finish the Story and start doing the generic grind of Dailies / Bounties / Nightmare Dungeons to get gear so you could go fight D4's version of Elder / Guardians, etc. That is something D3 endgame lacks.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
If D4 has aspirational bosses like PoE does, it will give the grind more a reason than just bigger numbers. Finish the Story and start doing the generic grind of Dailies / Bounties / Nightmare Dungeons to get gear so you could go fight D4's version of Elder / Guardians, etc. That is something D3 endgame lacks.
What's a good example of an aspirational boss in PoE? I don't remember them, but last I played was a while ago.