Diablo 4 / IV / IIII / Fore / Cope / Seethe

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Trapped in Randomonia>
I don't trust Blizzard. AT ALL. They are just another woke California game maker now, their glorious history lost to the dustbin of time. Who I do trust are the people who have seen the game, though, Skillup, Rhykker, Fextralife, Khraze, etc. and they all say the game is good. That's enough for me to pre-purchase it. It can't be worse than the story for Lightfall.

Not to discount your point but how many of these trusted streamers receive their income based on the success of Diablo shit?

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
The no sets thing is weird, but obviously it comes from D3 where the game is 90% based off sets. If you look now the ladder even has the ladder broken down into each set because they're all just a build-in-a-box for the most part. There's the LoN builds too, but those are like the grinder high end shit and even then they're limited to mostly one thing.

D2 sets were good, but few classes actually wore a full set. There were a few builds where 2-3 pieces were good, but most people just used the one 'good' set piece and runewords/uniques everywhere else. It seems like they've given up on trying to make sets good, but not overpowered so they just said no altogether. It's this kind of attitude that makes me think the game is going to be undercooked. A fundamental of the D2 franchise and rather than get it right, they decide to omit it entirely. That just screams push the product rather than make a good one.

I haven't preordered the game, and it's one of those games I don't WANT to buy, but I probably will. Just the nature of the gaming beast. Really wish it was cheaper/F2P and they locked money behind skins so I could just deny giving them money altogether.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
How the fuck hard is it for ANY of these new ARPGs to realize that POE's real magic is that they got rid of gold and replaced it with CHOICE. I can save my transmutes to use because they are useful or I can horde them and upgrade them to a different useful item that is also useful OR tradeable. All D4 had to do was add in a few world drops that alter items in some way, like upgrading a random mod or replacing a random mod. That's it, that simple. Make a few different varieties so that you needed a different one for higher level gear and then make easier to get shards that you can cube 10 or 20 into a full whatever it is. If you only made those items tradeable (even for real goddamn money) you still have the start of an economy based around items and choice. It drives me up the wall that they will not crib this most basic concept at any level.

• 2Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I’d also point at poe’s amazingly addictive endgame, specifically maps and the atlas. I know there’s a lot of bloat but the whole atlas concept is an addicting and fun endgame to me. LE appears to be trying to steal some of that.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I’d also point at poe’s amazingly addictive endgame, specifically maps and the atlas. I know there’s a lot of bloat but the whole atlas concept is an addicting and fun endgame to me. LE appears to be trying to steal some of that.

LE actually has a great storyline that could make an incredible endgame but I lost a LOT of favor with LE with the fact they took so long to add any kind of multiplayer to it. We'll see though - I think the potential is there for LE to be fucking awesome.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider

Which is part of the massive failure in so far as potential D4 is concerned that bothers me. Old Blizzard never had any innovation -- what they did far better than anyone in the industry however was take concepts that other games of the genre had and refine / make them infinitely better. With POE being what it is, I should be incredibly excited to play D4 because Blizzard version / budget should allow them to make an absolutely amazing gem; the audience and need is there. Unfortunately we have current Blizzard, that is trying to innovate and find 'solutions' to things like gender roles in video games. Don't get me wrong, I'm still pre-ordering but it's frustrating to think of how much better D4 could be.

• 1Pathetic
Reactions: 1 user

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Which is part of the massive failure in so far as potential D4 is concerned that bothers me. Old Blizzard never had any innovation -- what they did far better than anyone in the industry however was take concepts that other games of the genre had and refine / make them infinitely better. With POE being what it is, I should be incredibly excited to play D4 because Blizzard version / budget should allow them to make an absolutely amazing gem; the audience and need is there. Unfortunately we have current Blizzard, that is trying to innovate and find 'solutions' to things like gender roles in video games. Don't get me wrong, I'm still pre-ordering but it's frustrating to think of how much better D4 could be.
In essence, the LE guys have already stolen the thunder here without the flash that Blizz’s budget allows.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Can't say old Blizzard never had any innovation. D2 was innovative as fuck, everyone has been copying it ever since. SC and WC3 having 3 and 4 factions respectively was also innovative, as was having an all-in-one gaming service of Battle.net. (WC3 was particularly innovative with hero units, creeps, and loot.) Really only WoW, Hearthstone, HOTS, and OW were highly-polished ripoffs.

• 1Like

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
Not to discount your point but how many of these trusted streamers receive their income based on the success of Diablo shit?
Some are indeed Diablo based but many others are not, and cover a variety of games. I mean, Shills are going to shill but people are watching reviewers as closely if not more than the games they cover: It's pretty easy to blow your credibility hyping up a terrible game, particularly one we are all going to get to see in Open Beta. Skillup in particular I trust to call balls and strikes fairly

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
How the fuck hard is it for ANY of these new ARPGs to realize that POE's real magic is that they got rid of gold and replaced it with CHOICE.

I don't think that's true for the vast majority of people who play that game. I have always loved using the currency in that game and virtually everybody has always called me an idiot for it. Most players just save up the 80 currencies, trade them into the one generic trading one (chaos/exalts/divines) and then use that to buy their items. Hell, half the people don't even pick up items to identify in PoE because it slows down the currency acquisition speed.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
This about sums up my thoughts so far on it. Having to clear multiple 'levels' of random rifts in order to spawn a random boss is shitty. Give me a single map level with a boss in it, bonus points if I can pick the rift theme (or even just random act pool choices).

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I don't think that's true for the vast majority of people who play that game. I have always loved using the currency in that game and virtually everybody has always called me an idiot for it. Most players just save up the 80 currencies, trade them into the one generic trading one (chaos/exalts/divines) and then use that to buy their items. Hell, half the people don't even pick up items to identify in PoE because it slows down the currency acquisition speed.

That has entirely too much to do with POE's bloat and not the currency system itself. If there were only 3 or 4 currencies you wouldn't have that issue since the number of things you can do with them is similarly limited.

Honestly, Blizzard wouldn't even have to go that far. They could have ONE goddamn "currency" that dropped, call it Demon Blood or some shit, and just have varying costs of how much Demon Blood it took to modify certain items from a list at the crafting bench. If Demon Blood is a tradeable resource then you are now in a position where every kill has meaning towards a goal and not just "gee I hope this drops the one in a million/billion item with all the mods I'm looking for!"

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>

I know this is two posts in a row, but I wanted to address this specifically. People not picking up items off the ground is a problem POE had created and FLAT OUT REFUSES to address. Do you know how I know that it isn't a problem with the items themselves but with the acquisition of those items? Because a properly rolled rare item is best in slot around 90% of the time. And before you say "if it is so easy to fix what could they do?" then two easy options would be 1. rares drop identified or 2. higher ilvl bases have increased odds of higher tier affixes. Either of those would put them in a much better spot and allow them to reduce the overall amount of items dropped while at the same time incentivizing people to pick up more loot off the ground.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
How the fuck hard is it for ANY of these new ARPGs to realize that POE's real magic is that they got rid of gold and replaced it with CHOICE. I can save my transmutes to use because they are useful or I can horde them and upgrade them to a different useful item that is also useful OR tradeable. All D4 had to do was add in a few world drops that alter items in some way, like upgrading a random mod or replacing a random mod. That's it, that simple. Make a few different varieties so that you needed a different one for higher level gear and then make easier to get shards that you can cube 10 or 20 into a full whatever it is. If you only made those items tradeable (even for real goddamn money) you still have the start of an economy based around items and choice. It drives me up the wall that they will not crib this most basic concept at any level.
Making a billion currencies that do various things or using gold at a vendor who does the same things isn’t really any different other than you have to make a shitload of storage for the billion currencies. POEs currency is trash imo. Just give me the one currency and the various ways to spend it, all day.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That has entirely too much to do with POE's bloat and not the currency system itself. If there were only 3 or 4 currencies you wouldn't have that issue since the number of things you can do with them is similarly limited.

Honestly, Blizzard wouldn't even have to go that far. They could have ONE goddamn "currency" that dropped, call it Demon Blood or some shit, and just have varying costs of how much Demon Blood it took to modify certain items from a list at the crafting bench. If Demon Blood is a tradeable resource then you are now in a position where every kill has meaning towards a goal and not just "gee I hope this drops the one in a million/billion item with all the mods I'm looking for!"
Not really sure what you're asking for D4 to do that it already doesn't do? You want a way to get a drop that will allow you to alter an existing item, either into something different or add something to that item. In the first case, I don't think D4 has that in a direct form, but it will probably have a Cube system like D3, so you have that already. As for the second, I think D4 has this in a way already, as we saw in Immortal Piece of Shit. Take a perk from one item and place it on another, making it close to an ideal item. I guess I'm missing what you're asking for. ;p

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
My initial love for PoE was the endless possibilities their skill tree and gem system created. For example, prior to PoE I absolutely hated playing casters in ARPGs and then in PoE I absolutely loved it because you could easily make casters that were tanky, or high evasion, or high sustain, etc.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Not really sure what you're asking for D4 to do that it already doesn't do? You want a way to get a drop that will allow you to alter an existing item, either into something different or add something to that item. In the first case, I don't think D4 has that in a direct form, but it will probably have a Cube system like D3, so you have that already. As for the second, I think D4 has this in a way already, as we saw in Immortal Piece of Shit. Take a perk from one item and place it on another, making it close to an ideal item. I guess I'm missing what you're asking for. ;p

Well, Immortal was a pay to win cashgrab that I refuse to even read about so if those things exist in DIV, are tradeable to other players, and have no P2W component then it might be ok?

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Making a billion currencies that do various things or using gold at a vendor who does the same things isn’t really any different other than you have to make a shitload of storage for the billion currencies. POEs currency is trash imo. Just give me the one currency and the various ways to spend it, all day.

Having different currencies to do different things adds value to that thing and detaches it from some static vendor and developer control of the market. Having one currency that gets traded in to a vendor is a static function and takes power away from the market. PoEs issue is they don't allow infinite stacking of currency (to sell tabs) and their broker system (its non existant).

I'll grant you both systems have strengths and weaknesses. I prefer the poe system. I do not like the lack of QoL from poe's system.

It's basically captilism vs communism. Are you a communist!?

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My initial love for PoE was the endless possibilities their skill tree and gem system created. For example, prior to PoE I absolutely hated playing casters in ARPGs and then in PoE I absolutely loved it because you could easily make casters that were tanky, or high evasion, or high sustain, etc.
Naaaa, you found out you could press 1 button and have many skills fire off, that is what hooked you to PoE. ;p

• 1Worf

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I love how "deals" for players keep getting worse and worse over time.

Pre-purchase D4 and get early access to..... open beta. Not the game... not anything with live... open beta. Lol

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users