Diablo 4 / IV / IIII / Fore / Cope / Seethe

Chris

Potato del Grande
People keep bringing up loot so been thinking about it a lot. Lots of issues with it.

Diablo 2 had a learning curve with loot.

Magic items played a big part. If most things drop as white at the start of the game you are really going to pay attention to blues, if blues have one impactful stat, that's how you learn about the stat. You equip a chest piece with +2 thorns and now any fallen that hits you dies? Now you understand thorns when it is one of 4 stats on a rare item.

Also rare stats being weighted to specific slots help. Attack speed needs to be a very rare drop to stop people stacking it too early and trivialising the game. Movement speed needs to be rare because while some is nice, it's a bonus and on every slot you'll be weak. Having them be common on gloves/boots and rare elsewhere teaches you how to value them early, not get too much, then get hyped when you see attack speed on something other than gloves.

Arcane stats you need to read a wiki for, like Crushing Blow and Deadly Strike, only show up on very rare unique items. Most of the time you don't need to process what they do to evaluate an item.

Then you got staves and maces with stupid amount of +skills at the start of the game for specific classes. You can get the power boost of +3 (or more) to a skill very very early to make your build work, but need to work harder to get it with other stats. And this is just on magic class weapons.

You also wore gear for the stats you chose.

In Diablo 4 you wear gear for the legendary power and are stuck with 4 random stats with no apparent logic to why they are there. Bracers seem to have +skills more often and Rings +resist, but they also show up everywhere else. Weapons have 3 of slightly different sometimes interchangable, sometimes useless damage bonuses. There's no breathing room to learn the stat weightings, lucky hit is everywhere from the starts.

It's just incoherent and the worst game design. Some restrictions are needed for you to learn what everything does and plan a gearing strategy.

Diablo 3/Immortal/WoW is the other way and is too simple with +dogooder.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I’m also greatly annoyed by some dungeons having shit that stuns you all the time.

The amount of CC is probably one of the more annoying aspects. And it has a side effect on builds, because you have to input some form of unstoppable in your build, that is reliable and on a somewhat low CD to counter all the CC that can happen in some of the dungeons(or even affixes). Thus they almost all have 1 ability that gives it. More than likely 2, to cover gaps and/or an aspect that provides it.

I am done for now. Just have to wait to see how season 1 will go. I was tempted to make another class, but decided to save that until season to have something new left. Got my ancestral stuff and thus all that was left was praying for unique drops or grinding exp for paragon. Basically my normal time when to stop playing in d3, when it just becomes looking for better rolls/stats and paragon. About what I expected.

Odd they have no playtime counter, just another QoL missing. I figure I am in the 70-100 hour range for the 3 weeks I played. Big chunk of that the first week(like normal).

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Picked it up, and honestly barb feels pretty bad at level 37. Fury is a shit mechanic the first 50 levels until you become a tasmanian devil and don't care about it.anymore.

Lacking the proper apsrcts and glyphs feels like dog shit tbh

Ya. Don't level with WW man. It's HORRID until you get resource management items.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
In Diablo 4 you wear gear for the legendary power and are stuck with 4 random stats with no apparent logic to why they are there.
No you don't, you take the legendary power off and stick it on a good item. Are you even playing this same game? After level 30 or so, legendaries are just crafting mats to make other items, unless the legendary also has good stats on its own.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
The amount of CC is probably one of the more annoying aspects. And it has a side effect on builds, because you have to input some form of unstoppable in your build, that is reliable and on a somewhat low CD to counter all the CC that can happen in some of the dungeons(or even affixes). Thus they almost all have 1 ability that gives it. More than likely 2, to cover gaps and/or an aspect that provides it.
Yep - I have more than once had to unstoppable and then dash away until I know I have more charges ready.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
No you don't, you take the legendary power off and stick it on a good item. Are you even playing this same game? After level 30 or so, legendaries are just crafting mats to make other items, unless the legendary also has good stats on its own.

Don't rares (yellows) have 3 affixes, and legendaries have 4 affixes? Seems like that can be a fairly large difference in power assuming good RNG on which affixes you get.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Might be a repeat but druid loot is bugged to shit. Blizzard is "Working on it"

• 1Like

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

This, or you take your power off a legendary and put it on another legendary with better stats. You never wear a legendary just for the power, well maybe when you were low level and starting but that goes away quickly.

But again its chris, so..

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
No, yellows have the same amount.

Well this isn't true for any of my characters' items. The rares all have 3 affixes and the legendaries all have 4 (plus the legendary power).

Also, unrelated sidenote, in D3 sockets were an affix, in D4 they appear to be a separate "bonus" that the item can roll with, and can be added to any item. That's an interesting change that I think I do prefer to D3's system.

• 1Like

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Inc wizardhawk to compare it with PoE and tell you that ARPGs are supposed to suck.
Sure, except I think loot in PoE is shit too. And ARPGs are all grindy/repetitive, shit, any game you play for more than 20 hours is grindy and repetitive of any genre. Play 75,000 games of LoL, repetitive as fuck. 75,000 matches of any fps? Repetitive as fuck. EQ/WoW/any other mmo of choise? Repetitive as fuck.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
My sorc is sitting at level 76 or 77 and I kind of want to try the other specs but can't be really assed to hunt gear for them and research level new glyphs if a new season is right around the corner.

I really wish Blizzard wasn't full of fuckups and actually had a plan to communicate. I don't see a big reason to push or level much more because it's kind of boring but I do a helltide and maybe a couple of nightmares when I log on for an hour or two here and there.

It's really stupid how much of a bonus to speed, xp, and damn near everything is as a group but counter to that it's so fucking bad to find one in game. Look in guild make a party and keep everyone on the same page. Another aspect that would of been discovered by people who actually played their fucking game.

If Season 1 is soon there is zero reason to put much effort in between now and then.

• 1Like

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Odd they have no playtime counter, just another QoL missing. I figure I am in the 70-100 hour range for the 3 weeks I played. Big chunk of that the first week(like normal).
Yea I don't get it. On that Quin rip video from the other day it showed his hours on his dead druid so they track it somewhere.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Don't rares (yellows) have 3 affixes, and legendaries have 4 affixes? Seems like that can be a fairly large difference in power assuming good RNG on which affixes you get.
"DIABLO 2 WAS PEAK ARPG COMPLICATION AND D4 IS JUST FOR DUMB-DUMB CASUALS!!"

Chris, Sean, etc. proceed to play the game and don't even understand how the loot works in it, call it "trash" because it doesn't agree with what their nostalgic, 16 year old self thought was "hard'.

• 2Like
  • 1GreNeg
Reactions: 2 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I keep coming to this thread for hope. I guess I’m the last holdout.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Pants on Fire!
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 5 users

Kythik

Molten Core Raider
I keep coming to this thread for hope. I guess I’m the last holdout.

The best way I could put it to a PoE player is that Blizzard went and made the game Chris Wilson has been talking about for the last decade. With just about as much on-death effects as a PoE vet would expect. It's slower. Rares are interesting. Major barriers to trading. On-death effects are just as deadly but more subtle (no giant storm call rings on the ground). Granted, now that I can freeze and shatter entire screens of lvl100 mobs none of that matters. The game was pretty painful before the right items dropped/rolled for my build at lvl 70 or something.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
There's a craftable potion that gives you unstoppable for 1 second.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Well this isn't true for any of my characters' items. The rares all have 3 affixes and the legendaries all have 4 (plus the legendary power).

Also, unrelated sidenote, in D3 sockets were an affix, in D4 they appear to be a separate "bonus" that the item can roll with, and can be added to any item. That's an interesting change that I think I do prefer to D3's system.
Rares start dropping with 4 affixes at level 50ish, once you hit sacred items, and soon after all sacred rares have 4 affixes.

Originally, endgame ancestral rares were supposed to have 5 affixes. Not sure if they're saving that for WT5 or whatever.

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
dev live stream campfire chat in 20 minutes or so.

• 1Like