Diablo 4 / IV / IIII / Fore / Cope / Seethe

Chris

Potato del Grande
Ya, lets go back to the glory days of D2, everyones favorite game and the best arpg ever, or poe, where 2 handed weapons take up 4 or 8 slots instead. It's much more realistic and better that way, you can fill your inventory with 5 items instead of the 30 or whatever you can get in d4.
D2 also had the small inventory issue.

In PoE you can tell what items are on the floor, I'll know it's going to take 6 slots because it says "Giant Axe" and I'll know if my build uses axes or not, I can see if it's valuable by looking at the type of Giant Axe it is (the static stat) and the gem links.

PoE also has loads of stash tabs and special ones for specific types of loot.

What level are you in the D4 season by the way? I'm just short of lv40.

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Ya, lets go back to the glory days of D2, everyones favorite game and the best arpg ever, or poe, where 2 handed weapons take up 4 or 8 slots instead. It's much more realistic and better that way, you can fill your inventory with 5 items instead of the 30 or whatever you can get in d4.
Ok hear me out here, this might blow your mind.

ready?

wow fixed this two decades ago.eq did it before then.

everything takes only one bag slot.

I know, crazy right? Would would have thought?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
5 worthwild items or 30 of pure dogshit. Just because number higher doesnt mean better dipshit.
Ya cause every 2hander in d2 was an amazing item, definitely wasn't tons of shit drops you had to sift through too. I'm starting to think you're more stupid than Chris, instead of just being a salty cunt.

Should I reinstall d2r and go pick up an inventory of cracked/chipped white polearms so I can cry about "i'm level 7 and have a full inventory of worthless items, shit game is shit!!1!"?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
Ok hear me out here, this might blow your mind.

ready?

wow fixed this two decades ago.eq did it before then.

everything takes only one bag slot.

I know, crazy right? Would would have thought?
Not going to dispute that, it's a valid point... but...

Consider that devs caring about stupid shit like that is what also makes devs care about having multiple item bases per slot and item diversity.

It's one of those weird things that gives some soul to a game. Personally I would avoid the inventory tetris by having unlimited slots and doing it by weight like D&D does eg Baldur's Gate.

*That you have to buy with RL money.
I've probably spent about £20 total on PoE stash tabs and £50 total on Diablo 4.

So what's your point here? PoE is a free to play microtransactions model and D4 is double dipping that with a box price.

D4 is far more expensive for a worse product even if you consider the PoE stash tabs to be mandatory (they aren't because they are much larger than D4s).

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Ya cause every 2hander in d2 was an amazing item, definitely wasn't tons of shit drops you had to sift through too. I'm starting to think you're more stupid than Chris, instead of just being a salty cunt.

Should I reinstall d2r and go pick up an inventory of cracked/chipped white polearms so I can cry about "i'm level 7 and have a full inventory of worthless items, shit game is shit!!1!"?
You would never pick up any polearms in D2 unless you were a Barbarian or using a Desert Merc, let alone a white one unless you had some specific cube recipie you wanted to make.

You would pick up Scepters, Wands and Staves to sell for gold and then whatever your class was using (one armour class and a few weapon classes most likely).

In D4 you only get stuff you can use dropped 99% of the time, yet about the same amount of stuff drops so you feel obligated to pick it all up to check. Oh and you HAVE to pick it up and sell/dismantle it all otherwise you'll run out of gold and crafting mats.

I'm just going to repeat this because I probably wrote too much for you, so here's the TLDR:

In D4 you can't leave items on the ground, at least yellow/gold ones, you have to pick them up.

In D2 and PoE you don't need to pick up all the items and you can tell if they are potentially useful from the item base and leave most stuff on the floor.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
You would never pick up any polearms in D2 unless you were a Barbarian or using a Desert Merc, let alone a white one unless you had some specific cube recipie you wanted to make.

You would pick up Scepters, Wands and Staves to sell for gold and then whatever your class was using (one armour class and a few weapon classes most likely).

In D4 you only get stuff you can use dropped 99% of the time, yet about the same amount of stuff drops so you feel obligated to pick it all up to check. Oh and you HAVE to pick it up and sell/dismantle it all otherwise you'll run out of gold and crafting mats.

I'm just going to repeat this because I probably wrote too much for you, so here's the TLDR:

In D4 you can't leave items on the ground, at least yellow/gold ones, you have to pick them up.

In D2 and PoE you don't need to pick up all the items and you can tell if they are potentially useful from the item base and leave most stuff on the floor.

This. There is more identification and choice available in D2/PoE before actually picking it up.

• 2Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I've probably spent about £20 total on PoE
LOL you're so full of fucking shit.

Unless you're seriously walking around with about half of the special tabs and like 3-4 premium tabs.

• 1Salty
  • 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
LOL you're so full of fucking shit.

Unless you're seriously walking around with about half of the special tabs and like 3-4 premium tabs.
Yes? I've never felt like I needed more.

Assume I am misremembering and I spend £30... it's still a pretty wide margin for error to get to D4 box price.

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Not going to dispute that, it's a valid point... but...

Consider that devs caring about stupid shit like that is what also makes devs care about having multiple item bases per slot and item diversity.

It's one of those weird things that gives some soul to a game. Personally I would avoid the inventory tetris by having unlimited slots and doing it by weight like D&D does eg Baldur's Gate.

I've probably spent about £20 total on PoE stash tabs and £50 total on Diablo 4.

So what's your point here? PoE is a free to play microtransactions model and D4 is double dipping that with a box price.

D4 is far more expensive for a worse product even if you consider the PoE stash tabs to be mandatory (they aren't because they are much larger than D4s).
Literally nobody likes the current inventory system, the same as nobody like fucking blizzard trannies. Connect the dots.

• 1Picard

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Defending it by saying that it's dumb to pick up a bunch of hearts and ignore the rest of the game and then say "omg i'm level 8 with like 9 stupid shit hearts clogging my inventory!!1!" and pointing out you can do the same thing in every other game, except if you do it in "better inventory" games you fill your inventory with 5 shit items instead of 33 because they are different sizes instead of all taking 1 slot?

I mean, fuck. Leon literally cried about it being stupid that items all take up 1 slot instead of swords and shit taking up more than 1, and then argued that other games make items all take 1 slot because... who the fuck knows what his point even is at this point? Does he want items to not take up the same inventory or to take up the same inventory? Or is he just another dipshit in here to join the cool kids and bash on the game for the stupidest of reasons instead of any of the valid reasons?

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Defending it by saying that it's dumb to pick up a bunch of hearts and ignore the rest of the game and then say "omg i'm level 8 with like 9 stupid shit hearts clogging my inventory!!1!" and pointing out you can do the same thing in every other game, except if you do it in "better inventory" games you fill your inventory with 5 shit items instead of 33 because they are different sizes instead of all taking 1 slot?

I mean, fuck. Leon literally cried about it being stupid that items all take up 1 slot instead of swords and shit taking up more than 1, and then argued that other games make items all take 1 slot because... who the fuck knows what his point even is at this point? Does he want items to not take up the same inventory or to take up the same inventory? Or is he just another dipshit in here to join the cool kids and bash on the game for the stupidest of reasons instead of any of the valid reasons?

Not what i said, i said it's dumb that rings and amulets take the same space as a 2 hander. Read above for the solution, 1 slot for everything. Done, problem fixed.

Oh and 30 stash tabs per character, 5 of them common between toons.

Holy fucking that was hard.

Chris

Potato del Grande

Here are what I would say is key to inventory management:

1) Have ample stash/inventory space.
2) Don't make players play tetris.
3) Limit how much players need to pick up.
4) Have items be readable from the item names so you can ID if they are worth picking up.

D2 had half of those so I would give it a score of 2/4. PoE iterated with lots of stash space so it has most of it right with just item tetris left to remove, I would rate it 3/4.

D4 is literally the opposite of PoE, it doesn't have item tetris but the rest is wrong. So it's laughable to get mad at PoE for it's one inventory flaw when D4 has totally shit the bed.

I didn't even mention being able to manually sort loot on console, I can do it in PoE and FF14, it's a standard UI feature, you can probably copy/paste it off stack overflow. I rate it 0/4.

And I need a good roll copy of a heart each time I upgrade Jewelry (on top of the legendary aspect copy), you can't read which one they are off the floor, so yeah I'm going to specifically look for them and pick them up and clog my inventory.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Not what i said, i said it's dumb that rings and amulets take the same space as a 2 hander. Read above for the solution, 1 slot for everything. Done, problem fixed.
The solution of making everything take 1 slot? I haven't found an item yet that takes more than 1 slot, maybe you have a different copy of the game than me?

• 1Worf

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande

4) Have items be readable from the item names so you can ID if they are worth picking up.
[/QUOTE]
1) 33 slots was not quite enough for me to pick up everything in a dungeon run without having to portal to dump but close most of the time. You know how many items I have to leave on the ground in every single poe map I do even if I use all 6 portals to sell?
2) There's no tetris in d4 unless I got a magical copy of the game that you and Leon didn't get? He still seems to think items take up more than 1 space each so I dunno.
3) You can pick up whatever you want or don't want to?
4) Items tell you what type of item it is on the ground unless, again, you guys have a magical copy of the game that just drops items as "rare!" "common" and "magic" instead of telling you what it is?
D2 had half of those so I would give it a score of 2/4. PoE iterated with lots of stash space so it has most of it right with just item tetris left to remove, I would rate it 3/4.

D4 is literally the opposite of PoE, it doesn't have item tetris but the rest is wrong. So it's laughable to get mad at PoE for it's one inventory flaw when D4 has totally shit the bed.
I get mad about PoE inventory tetris? Don't think I ever have but maybe you can quote the post for me.
And I need a good roll copy of a heart each time I upgrade Jewelry (on top of the legendary aspect copy), you can't read which one they are off the floor, so yeah I'm going to specifically look for them and pick them up and clog my inventory.
And then, just like in every game with loot, you salvage/sell the stuff you pick up that isn't worth keeping and your inventory becomes unclogged. Magic!

• 1Picard

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

I didn't even mention being able to manually sort loot on console, I can do it in PoE and FF14, it's a standard UI feature, you can probably copy/paste it off stack overflow. I rate it 0/4.

The fuck are you talking about with the item tetris shit?

Chris

Potato del Grande
The fuck are you talking about with the item tetris shit?
When you have a 4x1 staff, 3x2 giant sword, 1x2 belt, 2x1 flask and 2x2 helm along with some 1x1 gems. They all fit in the inventory but only if arranged just so.