Diablo Immortal

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
So, which one of your fucker are whaling on this? Please share your experience.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Nola

Trakanon Raider
So, which one of your fucker are whaling on this? Please share your experience.
I stopped playing it because I ran out of things to do. Got my sader to 60 and two other classes to 50s. As for as spending money, I spent around 45 bucks on this game and the majority of that amount was buying cosmetics. Yeah I'm a sucker for skins.

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
I keep logging in at least until I hit 60 but it seems once I do it'll take a miracle to increase my power any real noticable amount. I put about an hour or so a day if possible and I'm 54 currently.

My wife is straight up addicted though, kind of funny considering how often I get bitched at for gaming ;)

Edit: Had my level wrong

Last edited:

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
I got the battle pass ($5?) because I had fun at first. Upon hitting 60, and realizing monster essence farming was shitty and most everything else would be too, I uninstalled it shortly after.

bolok

Molten Core Raider
Metacritic aside- i'd bet that immortal cost a substantal fraction to shit out vs however much manpower D3 took to make. D3 did make an relatively absurd amount of money on launch, but that basically all counts for nothing the next quarter. Shitty mobile games count for basically ever, until they get shut down. Gross all around, but it is what it is.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Asmongold is definitely going to use “for the kids”angle and say how gambling can be bad for children. Granted thats not his actual reason why but it’s probably the best argument he can provide. He doesn’t want to see loot boxes in PC gaming at all and he could care less if it’s in mobile games. I hope something positive comes out of it but I don’t think it will stop loot boxes. They will probably make the game 18+ years of age.
Actually it's an extremely good argument since the ESRB rating on these games is usually teens or under

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
Metacritic aside- i'd bet that immortal cost a substantal fraction to shit out vs however much manpower D3 took to make. D3 did make an relatively absurd amount of money on launch, but that basically all counts for nothing the next quarter. Shitty mobile games count for basically ever, until they get shut down. Gross all around, but it is what it is.

DI was probably pennies to release since it's just a reskinned Chinese game. They didn't develop anything, they just licensed an already released game and put a Diablo skin on top

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I’m glad it bombed but I wish it bombed worse.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Fair enough on that point, didn't see the numerals.

So a cheap mobile port earned 10% of that? They must be devestated.
I can't tell where the 24 million USD figure came from, but unless it's a legally binding shareholder disclosure to MS I don't really believe it. I imagine that profit wise 24 million would be a massive success since it's a reskinned game, but the downstream impacts on the Diablo brand and Blizzard are likely to be significant.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I can't tell where the 24 million USD figure came from, but unless it's a legally binding shareholder disclosure to MS I don't really believe it. I imagine that profit wise 24 million would be a massive success since it's a reskinned game, but the downstream impacts on the Diablo brand and Blizzard are likely to be significant.

This is the key point. They're risking long term to permanent damage to their brand/IP for an easy cash grab.

Chris

Potato del Grande
This is the key point. They're risking long term to permanent damage to their brand/IP for an easy cash grab.
They don't care, they have been doing this for a few years now. They see how much money EA makes on sports game reskins despite being univerally loathed by hardcore gamers.

We are not their audience anymore.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Very few businesses don't look at it this way when it comes to shareholders. Fuck the 5 year plan, we want to see returns this quarter or we pull out. Oh this will crater things in 5 years? Long as we made back our money +3%

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Very few businesses don't look at it this way when it comes to shareholders. Fuck the 5 year plan, we want to see returns this quarter or we pull out. Oh this will crater things in 5 years? Long as we made back our money +3%
I think Microsoft is very interested in the long-term viability of their acquisition's brands, but I don't have any real data to show this.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I was curious about this as well. If I was just pulling a theory out of my ass, I would guess that theyre able to track how much money the app stores get from in game purchases and make some kind of sophisticated guess from there?

DI was probably pennies to release since it's just a reskinned Chinese game. They didn't develop anything, they just licensed an already released game and put a Diablo skin on top
Reskinned app with a ton of art assets from Diablo 3. Mobile games already cost a fraction of what a PC/Console title costs to make, and they probably spent even less than normal thanks to preexisting stuff.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's not a reskin of some other previously released game. It shares some UI elements and probably has some common code on the front and back end with other NetEase games, but it's an entirely new game with an entirely new version of the ridiculous mobile monetization scheme.

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Lmao watching these companies bend over backwards to appease the Chinese market only to get ass fucked never gets old

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 6 users