Divinity: Original Sin 2

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Gooooood damnit. Lone wolf honor playthrough, one near miss but overall no big threats with rog/2h war. Get to the Imp Dimension (first time id seen it) and clicked on the 'system flush'. Beast and Sebile just got smoked by all that deathfog

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I finally got off the island. I have something of an issue with the scaling threats thing. I dunno, just seems dumb to "kill" Alexander then random magisters are you the same level you were killing their leader at 30 seconds ago, etc. I dunno seems odd.

Also noticing more and more flaws in the storytelling. Part of the price to pay for being so detailed is you're going to fuck up, I guess.
Tems
I also don't like the inability to leverage groupmates for skill checks. Makes no sense why they can't "help barter" but they can just teleport items between inventories and help with lore.

Rime

<Donor>
Will agree 100% with Civil/Loot skills being tied to one character being stupid.

I ended up with a character who did all of the looting (Lucky Charm), one who did all of the talking (Persuade), one who did all of the stealing (Thievery), and one who did all of the selling (Barter).

Would have been nice if I could have had the Lucky Charm/Barter/Persuade apply to the entire group, so I did not have to always click between them/juggle inventory/etc.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The Corpse spider is crazy OP - I think he 1 rounded Alexander when i fought him - However i feel i overleveled and just wrecked everyone i came across.

On @Utnayan goishen goishen @persiansoap and I's coop tactician game we got going its becoming more and more apparent that you absolutely need to do everything possible to survive. We just started digging into the crafting system because its basically necessary at this point for efficiency. Always need to make pots.. constantly. Even playing well we get like one death per fight so far but hopefully can mitigate this by creating pots.

I don't mind the corpse spider nerf even though I am playing Summoner. We aren't even out of the Fort Joy area yet lol.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Not even close. We finally made it to the other side of the island, but not much further. Still gotta lotta stuff to do, not the least of which is get those damn collars off.

It's either @persiansoap or I, as necromancers, that will be summoning the corpse spider, although I think it'll be me. It takes three AP's to do, and I don't really think our tank can afford that.

Rime

<Donor>
Honestly, even with the nerf, anyone who has the points (2?) to summon a Bone Widow should do so. They still have an arse load of HP and while their damage was about cut in half, they are good at keeping casters busy or drawing CC onto them if nothing else.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Not even close. We finally made it to the other side of the island, but not much further. Still gotta lotta stuff to do, not the least of which is get those damn collars off.

It's either @persiansoap or I, as necromancers, that will be summoning the corpse spider, although I think it'll be me. It takes three AP's to do, and I don't really think our tank can afford that.

I think I read in here that bone spider even though in Necromancy is still really modified by having Summoning.

I could be wrong.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I think I read in here that bone spider even though in Necromancy is still really modified by having Summoning.

I could be wrong.

No, you're not wrong. It's one of the ways, another way, in which this game is complex and hard to get used to.

Caliane

yes, its a summon.
A game of systems..

investing in a skill tree has two effects.
one, it allows learn of skills in that tree. But, THAT caps out at 5. no skill needs more then 5 in a tree. (most only need 1 or 2..)
Second, it gives passive benefits. Those passive benefits are GLOBAL. These passives are actually the core of the traits. more emphasis probably should be on them.

skills scale with character level.

Pyrotechnics increases fire damage. it doesnt directly buff pyro spells at all. it just buffs all fire damage. which includes most pyro spells, but also every other source of fire damage. grenades, arrows, fire weapons, phoenix dive, etc.
Warfare buffs all physical damage. including necro spells, and hydro spells vs undead.
huntsman buffs ALL elevated damage. has no direct impact on bows.
Scoundrel buffs ALL crit multi, and move (good for savage sortilage mages) no direct increase to scoundrel skills.
necromancer just give life leech. get warfare to buff their damage.

The idea is they are all pretty interconnected. invest enough to learn skills, then potentially scale them with other trees as called for. pyro spells only deal fire damage. so, it scales with pyro, , hunstman directly. poly ,scoundrel indirectly. necro for leech. not at all for warfare/hydro/geo.

Summoning is a bit isolated. Summons only scale with summons.

I would actually rebalance a few.
Hydro is obviously better then pyro for example.
Hydro is 5% inc water damage, healing, magic armor.
Pyro is 5% inc fire damage.
Healing and magic armor clearly has value for many skills/classes.

Geo is 5% poison, and earth damage. and armor.
Again, warfare, poly has armor skills. so useful to other trees.

Pyro should have +1 init or something per point.
Necro +1 con, or water resist maybe.

Last edited:

Fippy Darkpaw

Molten Core Raider
He means that no skill needs investment beyond 5 to access the abilities in the tree. If you just want access to all the abilities but don't necessarily care about the additional buffs, 5 is the "cap" for point investment.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Also, realize that you can only have one summoned creature at a time. So, if say I have a bone widow out and then you cast your incarnate, the bone widow will disappear as the incarnate comes up.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Without going into spoilers, if you want to completely break the game like I did lone wolf + 20 leadership makes it godmode if you have it on both characters. Being on tact mode in the final battle and laughing out loud at the AI trying to break through 100%+ in resists, 20% shield block, ~60% dodge, and 15k hp is hilarious. Also consider the leadership buff hits all your summons and any AI help you have. Just have to make sure you dont line of sight fuck yourself and especially have to be aware of smoke effects. The only time I ever died past Fort Joy or was even close to dying was pulling a certain lever (which sucked).

Will definitely be my honor mode build when I decide to play again.

Caliane

yeah, its a pretty good system. as it allows nice interconnection. and decouples pumping a singular spell school, "just because".

Arguably, yes it could be explained better. (and as noted, a few schools are a bit too universally good. Warfare for example, is arguably better for scoundrel, hunstman, poly, and necro, then their own schools.)
Skills | Divinity Original Sin 2 Wiki

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
It's not really even arguable, warfare is just plain better. At the very endgame scoundrel can squeek in to being better for the crit damage, but even that is just situational.

Get the rank needed for whatever skills you want, then max warfare.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
What's the point in playing honor mode or tactician if you're just going to cheese things? Seems completely silly to me.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
have you played on tactician? because... the only way to get through most encounters is to cheese it.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Yes, my entire play so far has been on tactician. The only thing i've done to cheese anything was teleporting alice alicsceon or w/e into jahan and I don't think I even got much worthwhile for doing it and would've been completely fine just skipping her completely. It's been hard which IMO is the point of hard difficulties. Not that there is anything wrong with people who choose to play on hard difficulties and then abuse anything they can, I just personally don't understand it when you can just put it on an easy difficulty if you want the game to be easy.

Caliane

depends on what you consider cheesing.
the nature of the game is basically varying levels of cheese.

bone spider cheese? min/maxing warfare, etc cheese?
spaming source skills and source vamp bodies cheese?
Terrain transform lava across the map and instawin all fights cheese?
carry deathfog barrels cheese?
TK 2k wieght chests cheese?
lock npcs into dialogue, and steal from them cheese?

etc, etc. you are supposed to out think everything. As evidenced by the kill dallis achievement.