Divinity: Original Sin 2

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
If you have pet pal you understand what the cat wants, to escape fort joy. If he does so without dying, he becomes your familiar. I'd imagine thats a bit more confusing without pet pal, though :)

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
If you have pet pal you understand what the cat wants, to escape fort joy. If he does so without dying, he becomes your familiar. I'd imagine thats a bit more confusing without pet pal, though :)

Well, here is the thing. We never left fort joy yet. (Meaning we haven't left the island) and we left the fort itself many times without kitty turning into a familiar.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

I had pet pal and he never said shit to me. Cat just attaches to a random party member and then whatever I guess?

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Well, here is the thing. We never left fort joy yet. (Meaning we haven't left the island) and we left the fort itself many times without kitty turning into a familiar.

The quest finishes when you trigger one of the "escape" conditions from the main fort. Some of them require you to walk a distance away from it while others finish right when you leave. There's like ten different ways to escape the fort, it's pretty neato.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
The quest finishes when you trigger one of the "escape" conditions from the main fort. Some of them require you to walk a distance away from it while others finish right when you leave. There's like ten different ways to escape the fort, it's pretty neato.

Awesome I didn't know that. Must have been when we killed the group where Gareth helped us out and we got our chains off our necks. That's about when it happened.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's also dependent on the cat being with you. For example, at the start when you get to the fort itself you see Dallis interrogating the chick outside. If you take the ladder up and over the wall the cat won't follow you through the magisters even once you get back to the ground level on the other side. Similarly (least I think its this way) the cat doesn't follow you through waypoints unlike some other followers, has to follow you all the way out. After he escapes with pet pal he/she talks about having wanted to escape and thank you for helping etc.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I had pet pal and he never said shit to me. Cat just attaches to a random party member and then whatever I guess?

Thank god it wasn't me. Just a side note, we're all having fried chicken for dinner from ACT II.

Went up to something after a chicken had "adopted me", it was a statue with five different torches. None of them would stay lit long enough, so I've gotta plan. Go in the middle, cast ignition. Forgot that the chicken was still with me. Finished the quest though with the five torches though.

• 1Like

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
The chicken was supposed to go to his dad, but you killed him....you monster.

Not really. He murdered his mother and murders his father too. You do get a lot of Source Orbs from that fight though.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So I finished the game.

Really underwhelming ending IMO. The story reveal for the last fight was anime weeaboo levels of bullshit party where all the superbads are suddenly not-dead and everyone fights in one big battle. Ended with no real resolution. Maybe with expac/patch/dlc/whatever. I kept getting murdered because it frustratingly pulls all your chars in and the main dude just aoe explodes you most of the time. Eventually I tried cheesing the fight by dropping a crate of deathfog and just teleporting him into it turn 1. Funny that it worked but really anticlimactic that he just died instantly from it. I wouldn't say it really trivializes the encounter, but it certainly makes it easier.

I dunno, I would rate this game probably 7.5/10 overall. With good patches it could be an 8 easily. Maybe with a few expacs, 9/10. But as it stands it's just 'very good', not great.

Very good overall but hindered by:

1) UI is plagued with shit and is mostly garbage.
2) Story had some gaps and issues where things didn't make sense if you didn't approach it in a standard way. For example, doing A then B gives you all these options, finding B first and your character mysteriously doesn't remember on some quests and you can never continue (granted side quests generally but still annoying).
3) Gear scaling at the end is bullshit. It's like 30% bonus+ per level it's dumb.
4) Ending was weak, I felt that the 'game', that is all of the threads I cared about, concluded before the final encounter. It was anticlimactic in that all the chaos/minions/etc. had been taken care of before you descend to face the duders. Problem is since the real threat was secret until the very end, it loses narrative punch because you resolve it as soon a you discover it.
5) I felt that Driftwood area was kind of unfocused and dragged a bit. There's a lot of interesting bits going on there but there wasn't as much dilemma as the first area or urgency as the second and I really fucking hated everything to do with Paradise Downs and the dumb lumber mill.
6) All the endings are kind of bullshit in a way. I get the theme is 'life sucks in Divinity, go fuck yourself' but meh.
7) Balance is really wonky. It doesn't bother me that wombo combos are good, it's just that certain specs/trees are definitely superior to others.
8) It's really not clear how some shit happens. Especially since you can't always mouse over tooltips (if they are on enemy mobs for instance. Sometimes a dude casts cursed fireball. Sometimes a dude casts fireball and the fire is cursed anyway. Who knows.
9) I don't hold this against the game, but not having an exposed combat system is personally irritating. I love DnD 3.5 based games, it would be great if it operates similarly here as well at least in exposing some elements of chance. With the respec portal it's like "shit, is that a roll or should I go back... is it worth it..."

I would say it's in the top 10%, but it definitely doesn't unseat things like NWN2 or PS:T IMO when I consider how long ago those games came out. I hope they make more, though.

• 1Like

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Forgot how much fun spear specs were. Unfortunately there are rarely ever good ones on vendors or dropped. The extra attack of opportunity range with spears + aoe spells like whirlwind hitting half the screen etc is just good fun. I also think its kind of stupid you have to equip daggers for non-positional scoundrel skills yet daggers can be used for everything in warfare. When spears force you down the finesse path it would be nice to play kind of a hybrid the same way dagger users can.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Finished the game, definitely seemed better than the previous original sin, although the whole magical/physical armor mechanic still seems a bit undeveloped to me. I also strongly dislike that even if my characters have immense initiative, they still can't seem to go immediately after each other, and that many fights have weird scripts in them allowing enemies to go first regardless, perform too many actions, or enemies come in and talk to your characters, breaking invisibility etc. Otherwise agree with previous comments regarding level scaling on items, the endings etc.

As for the story, the problem with these Divinity games is that the scope feels a bit too big. Every game it's an ancient evil threatening the entirety of creation with all the ancient baddies of myth joining in. And each time you're a nobody who ascends into godhood. That's why games like the IceWind Dale series, Fallouts were better, they had a more limited scope which doesn't make things feel overblown. Same with Baldur's Gate to a certain extent, in that the ascension story took place over multiple games, and still was relatively limited in that in only really concerned a small corner of Toril. Why not just make the game take place around Arx and focus on that, for example?

• 1Solidarity

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Almost done with this on tactician. Of all the nitpicks I have ( Inventory, too much loot, content weaker as game goes on, too many puzzles not enough complex fights.. way too much power growth by level ) it's the damn Armor thing that makes this game a 1 play only for me. With all the great interesting abilities they have, I don't use that many of them it's all damage, damage damage to get that armor down... or find the few abilities/statuses not stopped by armor ( suffocating for example )... ,maybe the rework it at some point ?

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My biggest gripe is that spellcasters just seem like second class citizens comparatively to any physical dps later in the game. Oh you get ridiculous defenses on top of a shield toss and reactive armor skill that does crazy damage? Seems legit.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Almost done with this on tactician. Of all the nitpicks I have ( Inventory, too much loot, content weaker as game goes on, too many puzzles not enough complex fights.. way too much power growth by level ) it's the damn Armor thing that makes this game a 1 play only for me. With all the great interesting abilities they have, I don't use that many of them it's all damage, damage damage to get that armor down... or find the few abilities/statuses not stopped by armor ( suffocating for example )... ,maybe the rework it at some point ?

Ya it def needs to be like "resist or dodge chance". The fact that like a giant ability from fire mage god fails 100% on some POS mob because they have 17 magic armor left after damage is done just gets irritating.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
4 player coop in places where you have to solve puzzles with traps on the ground is absolutely hilarious.

Also frustrating! Haha.

• 1Worf

TheAylix

Vyemm Raider
Finally getting around to playing this, and it just reminds me of how much I wanted someone to use the incredibly underrated Temple of Elemental Evil gameplay for the D&D 3.5 rules to create an actual good RPG story.

Like, if some genius had redone Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 and somehow ported them into the Temple of Elemental Evil combat engine, I'd have been set for PC RPGs for the past 14 years.

• 1Like

goishen

Macho Ma'am
4 player coop in places where you have to solve puzzles with traps on the ground is absolutely hilarious.

Also frustrating! Haha.

*Ut runs over a trap thirteen times* *persiansoap runs over a trap right times* Yah, great fun.

lol

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I plead the 5th. You know how much I am addicted to fire. Fire at all costs. Everywhere.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
lol, think we can save the Historian. That's one of the reasons why I took Rain. And plus 'cause I knew somebody would take Pyro. And it would end us, badly. If only I would'a known it would end with, "Guys, guys, guys. I've got the spell that'll save us all."