Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition

DiddleySquat

Bronze Knight of the Realm
As far as my experiences go (couple of hours into the game) the bonuses aren't gigantic at all, and you always get a bonus: your personalities just determine on what skills.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I'm enjoying ranger wizard. I like oil/fire choke points, and the ranger is nice, feels like an archer should. I don't think you can really gimp yourself, so much customization.

Caliane

I'm finding my rogue character to be almost a worthless liability in the beginning. His damage is absolutely pathetic.

Not to mention the game seems crazy hard in the beginning. Almost every fight my party is outnumbered 2:1 minimum outside the west gate.
Use you your bow on the rogue for a while. honestly, this might even last till late in game. This plays like it makes more sense then traditional DnD.
Meaning, yeah. you use a bow at range, then swap to daggers when in melee.
Swapping to a dagger is 2 action points. Swapping to a bow. 4.

If you see the enemy first.
use haste out of combat. This gives a huge boost to your action points. also, bow range is huge. (special arrows, and spells have shorter range).
Then just auto attack. Your rogue will kill the crap out of stuff.
Swap to daggers if something reaches you. Stun on big guys. or invis to get out of melee. Remember, things will get an attack of opp, if you try breaking from melee when seen. Invis will let you get out.

I have not figured out how to get backstabs on my rogue constantly. This might be due to having a wiz partner, and not having a "tank" partner. dunno.

Caliane

Not in my opinion. Its meant to give flavor to your character through role playing... Half of an RPG. But its easily manipulable when you can save/load at any time.
Also, the bonuses you get are mostly all non-combat related. Only a few give bonuses to things like back stabbing and attacks of opportunity. Some grant immunity to charm and fear... etc...
The hard core player will adapt (as none of the bonuses are overpowering), while the min/max player will abuse. I prefer this way of play over railroading a one size fits all solution.

Having said that, I see little difference between allowing the player to run from battle and re-try, save/load to avoid ambushes, and the option to save/load through plot conversations that shape your future. its not mandatory, but its there if you wish to use/abuse it. And personally, I'd rather have the option to abuse/cheat a game system then no option at all. That way I am defining my experience as much as I can.
The problem is its mutually exclusive.

So if you play a balanced "grey" character. you get nothing.

Grimsark

The problem is its mutually exclusive.

So if you play a balanced "grey" character. you get nothing.
Good point. I am thinking they could alleviate this flaw by allowing you to set default sliders on character creation. So the challenge becomes not changing your characters 'character' by faithful role play.
wink.png

Caliane

Good point. I am thinking they could alleviate this flaw by allowing you to set default sliders on character creation. So the challenge becomes not changing your characters 'character' by faithful role play.
wink.png
ha. thats a good idea. Probably one of the few times I would agree with "penalties" vs "rewards".

Elerion

N00b
The problem is entirely in the game deciding up front what is the right choice for your character, which turns dilemmas in conversations into "guess the intention" minigames. Adding a slider and a "target alignment" wouldn't help that one bit.

Alignment worked in D&D for two reasons: First, it was multifaceted, so you had other roleplaying choices than Angel/Devil. Second, you had a real live DM who you could argue with if he tried to change your alignment. "Yes, I realize I am a chaotic evil necromancer, but helping that altar boy's kitten down from the tree was a step in my larger plan to zombify the Vicar!"

icarr757_sl

shitlord
Wow, this game does not hold your hand. Headed out the west gate at lvl 3 with only the crazy 2h companion, fighter and wizard. I do not think I have had my blood preasure spike that much since playing Ultima or Wizardy! MUST get a healing spell, Must have someone with a bow, MUST NOT run into fights, MUST use blunt weaps on skeles, not edged!

And the murder mystery quest! Pft, you must work for every clue! You have to THINK! DragonAge is nothing to this. Hell, the Witcher is easier than this. That said, when you achieve your goal inDivinity, you know you have earned it!

Question, anyone found a mining pick yet?
Is there a way to hotswap weapon sets by chance?
Any way to add more buttons to the screen?

Have not enjoyed getting my ass handed to me this much in a long time!

Grimsark

Wow, this game does not hold your hand. Headed out the west gate at lvl 3 with only the crazy 2h companion, fighter and wizard. I do not think I have had my blood preasure spike that much since playing Ultima or Wizardy! MUST get a healing spell, Must have someone with a bow, MUST NOT run into fights, MUST use blunt weaps on skeles, not edged!

And the murder mystery quest! Pft, you must work for every clue! You have to THINK! DragonAge is nothing to this. Hell, the Witcher is easier than this. That said, when you achieve your goal inDivinity, you know you have earned it!

Mining Picks are found randomly by loot or merchant. (Unfortunate side effect of randomization)
You can link your weapons to the hot bar like items and skills. But no set swap functions I know of.
There is no GUI customization I've seen. Though if what they say is true you may be able to mod it in.

I to am very impressed with the combat mechanic.
wink.png

Caliane

yeah. My limited playtime in betas, I was comparing this to BG2.
Having sat now and played more. I was wrong.

this is an Ultima successor. (I am pretty sure I am even more excited about that.)

Dont think you can have all 3 on screen at once, but there is arrows to scroll through 3 hotbars.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'm going through the game exclusively with a friend of mine. This is some fun shit.

I'm playing cleric, since I can really make him more of a battle cleric and he's the Shadowblade or whatever. It's close to playing real DND without a DM. Constantly undermining eachother by talking to NPC's and not being able to see what they said. Arguing with rock paper scissors over who gets to make X choice. Getting loot before someone else... and not saying what was found. Cleric has absolute SHIT for action points early on. Often takes me multiple turns to actually hit something. But the Shadowblade can run up and double attack three times in one turn.

My one gripe is that it gives you quests... and you are often far too low level to do them. We're only in the first area, but we go to the Undead area and all of the undead are level 5 in groups of seven or more and we're level 3. Still haven't figured out which one is level appropriate. I suppose it will be trial and error. This is a real gem. How abilities work together.. or collide is some goddamn brilliant shit.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I'm going through the game exclusively with a friend of mine. This is some fun shit.

I'm playing cleric, since I can really make him more of a battle cleric and he's the Shadowblade or whatever. It's close to playing real DND without a DM. Constantly undermining eachother by talking to NPC's and not being able to see what they said. Arguing with rock paper scissors over who gets to make X choice. Getting loot before someone else... and not saying what was found. Cleric has absolute SHIT for action points early on. Often takes me multiple turns to actually hit something. But the Shadowblade can run up and double attack three times in one turn.

My one gripe is that it gives you quests... and you are often far too low level to do them. We're only in the first area, but we go to the Undead area and all of the undead are level 5 in groups of seven or more and we're level 3. Still haven't figured out which one is level appropriate. I suppose it will be trial and error. This is a real gem. How abilities work together.. or collide is some goddamn brilliant shit.
If you talk to everyone in town and complete the who done it quest you should be close to level 5 if not 6, can go out the NE(not north) gate and do the trap house for decent loot/XP with no battles, just don't follow the dog.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
I appreciate the effort to revive this genre but the skills in this game are extremely bland and the story isn't exactly compelling.

Grimsark

I appreciate the effort to revive this genre but the skills in this game are extremely bland and the story isn't exactly compelling.
It starts very slow and the skill selection at the beginning is not showing even half of them. The game does suffer a bit from its randomness.

iannis

Musty Nester
Larian stories never are. They're not writing the great american novel, they're just writing a little B-grade movie plot. Their last game was just a veiled mockery of SJW stereotypes.

I think this is a pretty good Larian game. I hope it catches on. They've made an offering here to the mod/online roleplay/tabletop/RPGmaker community. The engine is slightly wonky with camera angles but other than that it seems fairly solid. I mean except for the bugs in the editor -- but I expect they're actually working on those. These guys have been around for a while. They're not slugs, they're not stupid, and that editor is the breakout potential for them.

And yeah. This game will kick your ass won't it. lol. Usually with Larian games it's hard up until midway through and then you just become OP as shit. I hope they've done a little about that. But that's just how Larian games are.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I'm enjoying this quite a bit, which I knew I would after playing the beta for an hour before putting it down to wait for release.

I'm playing Knight & Wayfarer, with a few tweaks but nothing major. I really, really like having both characters capable of casting some sort of heal because in beta I had no healing and that fucking blew goats.

Couple of things that annoy/confuse me.

The random conversations on a loop that were mentioned before. Fuck me those are annoying. I can't imagine that didn't get mentioned by some playtester somewhere.

That first town is WAY too big. You can easily spend 6 hours wandering around that place, when at best you spent an hour on the tutorial stuff. It just seems like it is far too much "questing" all thrown at you at once, when they maybe could have split it into two different towns with a bit of combat/exploration in the middle. Right now I feel sort of like I just want to leave the city and start killing shit because I'm so tired of talking to every single person. And animal, don't forget talking to the animals! Strangely enough, the animals are far more interesting.

Is there something I'm missing about skill points? My Knight has 2-hand weapons, but I can't add a second point to it. I'm assuming that is going to be a level based thing, but should I be saving those points instead of buying random shit? Or really I just wonder when I'm going to get to buy a 2nd level of these skills.

Not a fan of the "moral dilemma" stuff making a difference, but I can't be bothered to save and reload either, so I just roll with whatever I get. I figure it can't be that big of a difference, and if it is, oh well. That will just be an extra boost to the Hard difficulty.

Despite all of these complaints, I really love the game. The combat and different combos are awesome. I'm a big fan of dropping my big fucking spider down in the middle of the bad guys to distract them too. And while all the skills aren't exactly blowing me away, they are good enough and the limitations I currently have make it so I have to pick and choose what style I'm going to play instead of having every option available to me. Different classes really play quite differently if you don't have overlapping skills.

I just wish they'd have spread out the dialogue a bit at the beginning here instead of literally dumping hours and hours worth of exploration on you all at once. I realize I can probably move on without handling all of it, but with such a huge fucking city any normal person really can't help but think they are probably missing tons of stuff (and they are).

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Is there something I'm missing about skill points? My Knight has 2-hand weapons, but I can't add a second point to it. I'm assuming that is going to be a level based thing, but should I be saving those points instead of buying random shit? Or really I just wonder when I'm going to get to buy a 2nd level of these skills.
Need 2 skill points to go from level 1 to level 2, so when you get to level 5 you need 6 points to to level 6 etc.

iannis

Musty Nester
Those skill points have to be tiered is all I can figgure cause I hit the exact same "huh?" very quickly. No quick specializations. I'm guessing you pick maybe 3-5 areas for you character to concentrate in, but I dunno. There is a button for highlighting ground objects, but it's limited to the LOS of the character currently selected. Which is a nice compromise between the pixelhunt and the cheatmode that you could use highlighting for. There's a lot of little touches. I've never really loved how they do barter/trade screens... but the current iteration of it is miles better than previous.

Larian does love them books. They don't put a lot of effort into writing the main story, but the dumb little books that you find littered around like weeds in a garden -- they do put effort into those. Cooking Tips for Feral Bachelors. /snicker

Need 2 skill points to go from level 1 to level 2, so when you get to level 5 you need 6 points to to level 6 etc.
Aha. That makes sense.