Don't Look Up (2021)

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
You put on a film to keep a dog company? No wonder your revIew is trash

As soon as I saw Streep was playing a female Trump then I knew the foh big brain's would be frothing at the mouth
Ya Caliane Caliane the least you could have done was given the dog a blowie ain’t that right Ossoi Ossoi ?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i just watched it after reading through the thread. even after being primed for lady trump, i still thought she was closer to hillary than trump. she even had a picture of her desk with bill clinton.

obviously the "don't look up" and being fired for asking for peer review STRONGLY ties into "science deniers" but i think they pretty strongly towed the line by making fun of everyone... or at least TRYING to make fun of everyone.

regardless of that whole argument... i think as a movie it failed because it couldn't keep a cohesive tone and was too focused on the message. it was CLEARLY attempting to be a comedy, anything that starts out with a jack handey quote is framing whatever comes next to be a joke, but none of the movie was really all that "funny." it was comedic without being funny and that's a problem.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Not Great Ok GIF by Sky España

Best thing JLaw has done since Silver Lining Playbook.

Second the opinion on Cate Blanchett. Fifty fucking two. Wow.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I watched this movie to the first meeting with the President and could not make it any farther. I get the satire, I understand what they are trying to do, but it fell so flat for me. Not funny, not witty, not insightful, just pandering masturbation, in my opinion.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
YEah it was jsut a bad movie. I get they were trying to be funny with this shit but none of it was funny. Just dumb.

• 1Solidarity

Thorpe

Lord Nagafen Raider
You probably count if you just browsed over it and were like "wtf is this?" while it annoyingly autoplayed. There's a reason you can't turn that stupid fucking feature off.

How to turn autoplay previews on or off​

To quickly sample TV shows and movies, you can set Netflix to play previews automatically.

To autoplay previews:

1. From a web browser, go to your Account page.
  2. Open the Profile & Parental Controls settings for the profile you want to use.
  3. Select Playback settings.
  4. Check Autoplay previews while browsing on all devices.
    • To stop autoplaying previews, uncheck the box. Turning off Autoplay previews doesn't stop autoplaying from the details page of a TV show or movie.
  5. Select Save.
You may need to refresh your device to pick up the updated settings.

• 1Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I feel like it was not as bad or partisan as the thread is making it out to be, but it had some serious flaws mostly with it being so long and going over the top at certain points.

When the movie was grounded in real science and mostly believable characters, it was good and a decent watch. Leo and (though it pains me to admit it) Lawrence nailed their parts pretty fucking well and the whole first half of the movie or so was pretty well done and pretty much took shots at everyone. I liked the tech mogul character, but they made his science way to science fiction-ey and the whole lifeship ending was just stupid. Blanchet was good, but her role was almost entirely unneeded filler. And the whole concert thing was just way fucking overdone. It also borrowed heavily from Iron Sky in some not so good ways.

So if they had A) Cut the entire new chicks affair with Leo out and made the rift between him and his wife be caused by him being caught up in the whole white house drama, B) reduced the entire concert bullshit to a single tv commercial footnote, C) changed the tech plot to be everyone fighting over the mineral wealth and wasting their nukes/defenses on each other instead of stopping the comet (which would keep the tech more grounded in reality), and finally D) just removed the whole sleeper ship bullshit to also keep the suspension of disbelief, they might have had a 90-100 minute movie that was pretty good. Instead we got a 2 1/2 hour film that just went to far with the sci-fi and got away from the human interaction that made the first half decent.

They sort of roped it back in at the end with the dinner scene, which I thought was well done and fitting. But then you had the silly fallout style earth blown up effects stuff (but magically no dead people) and stupid sleeper ship joke that everyone saw coming a mile away (and practically ripped whole cloth from Iron Sky) pulling people out of suspension of disbelief. Those factors turned what could have been a decent movie into a much worse version of Seeking a Friend for the End of the World (which had its own flaws but tackled the human element just as well). Missed opportunity. And while the jabs were mostly left leaning, I feel it pretty much took even shots considering it was a hollywood movie and who was in it. The flaw were in the length, the excessive tonal shifts, and lack of focus in the second half of the movie.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
For those interested in the science side, Dr. Becky makes good content.

• 1Dislike

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
This is awesome, thanks

When I'm looking for something to watch, I avoid Netflix until absolute last on the list, specifically because of those motherfucking previews.

Now if theres a hack to turn it from the retarded interface it currently has into simple text-based list that could be sorted etc it'd be a top tier streaming site

• 1Like

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
2019 and before, they used "70% rule" where had to watch that much to count as a view, 42 mins per hour. then they changed it to where 2 mins counted as a view. in 2021, they changed to "hours watched".

So if it’s just hours watched their rating system could be Taing to buy Uber Lib Cox playing this 24/7. That sounds about right in fits into the mobile app freemium models with her just base everything on the smallest power users

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I heard the woke crowd was pissed at this movie because it lampoons the media for it's sloth and corruption. Without knowing anything about the plot, I assumed the title referred to banning anyone from researching shit (or looking up). Then I read this thread and redpillers are pissed at it too. Any movie that pisses off both sides can't be all bad.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
In the film 'Don't look up' becomes the motto of the comet deniers. The idea being that they're going to ignore the science and ignore the fact that a comet is coming to hit earth.

This is a non-subtle reference to climate change deniers, "ignoring the science and not looking at the destruction coming our way".

Lack of subtlety is everywhere in this film

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This movie is just bad and Hollywood dick sucking. It's supposed to be so many things but in all reality it's Hollywood sucking themselves off.

Bad everything on this movie, for having 3 Oscar winners maybe this movie became a cult classic

Last edited:
  • 1Like