Doom: Eternal

xzi

Mouthbreather
this game is beyond gorgeous and full of detail, it's kind of insane, also runs so smoooooooooooooooooooth

also got a chuckle, didn't turn off the hint things and the menu is like "press glory kill to exit menu"

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Needless

Toe Sucker
man this game is so much more fast paced than the first one
my eyes are burning already hahaha

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

xzi

Mouthbreather
spoilers for anyone that cares about the story (it's real early on, the first planet you go to)

basically doomguy when the king tells you that you're not allowed to kill the hell priests

200.gif

• 2Like
  • 1Worf

Argarth

On the verandah
Exchange rates have taken a pretty big hit, it's $100 in Australia right now. Guess I'll just have to keep working through my backlog.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Is the first Doom worth getting? It's 10 bucks on PS Store

It's pretty good, I've been re-playing it recently.
Doom (2016) is certainly better than Doom 3 if you played that. No jump-scare bullshit, or flashlight fumbling.
Just pure carnage as it should be.

• 1Like

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Best non biased review I have seen so far.

I'm very conflicted over this game. On the one side, the presentation is phenomenal. They really hit it out of the park with the gun models, the environments and the music.

On the other side, they've taken everything that made Doom 2016 good and made it not that way. The UI is bright and crowded. The art style is cartoony and playful. But most importantly, the gameplay is way too complicated and bloated.

From all of the press you'd think that the combat is what makes the game enjoyable. However it feels completely unnatural to play.

So let's start with ammo. There are no ammo drops (or very little of them). The entire concept of scanning the level for ammo drops is gone. Instead, you're constantly without ammo until you use the chainsaw on an enemy. This would be fine if you could do it on many different enemies and if you didn't run out of fuel. But you're constantly running out of fuel, and certain enemies simply cannot get chainsawed (like arachnotron).

Then you've got the monster weaknesses. On paper this sounds great: certain monsters have weaknesses that you can exploit. In practice it's horrific. The cacodemon simply won't die without lobbing a grenade at its face. You can unload your entire machine gun or plasma rifle at it and it won't go down. And before you get to the argument of "well technically, you need to change your playstyle" imagine that you have to get a glorykill on the cacodemon every single time. And the glorykill animation is the same (pull the eyeballs or stabbing it through the eyeball).

To make matters worse you have to pick certain upgrades to enjoy the game properly. For instance, you're basically required to pick the machine gun precision aim upgrade in order to properly kill the revenant. Wait, you chose missiles? Well too bad! The revenant will now be a nightmare. You want to use the autoshotty? Too bad! You need to lob the guns off of the arachnotron.

There's also a lot of stuff that simply doesn't feel like a good addition to Doom. Why is there so much platforming? What are all of these collectables and upgrades? So much shit is thrown at the player at once that it's overwhelming. A good reference for a complex game that continues to introduce mechanics is God of War. You never feel like the game is throwing too much your way. Instead, it feels like the game is expanding. In Eternal it just feels like too much too quickly.

And lastly, the fucking story. I really will keep this brief, but really. What is even going on? How did the Doom Slayer get a fortress? Who is the Kahn Makyr? Who is this Ghost King and what is that orb you pick up? None of this makes any sense! It's been two hours and so much has been thrown my way that I'm ridiculously confused.

I'm really, really disappointed by this game. It plays nothing like Doom 2016. And while I'm all for innovation and improvement, this just feels like a massive departure from what makes Doom 2016 good. Doom 2016 is a simple, straightforward and concise shooter. Shooting the guns feels like a dream. Upgrades are slowly drip-fed and certain upgrades are never required to kill demons. The game looks gritty and realistic, not colorful and playful. And ultimately, the focus is on KILLING DEMONS.

I can't recommend this game. This is a hard pass for me.

• 1Like

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Used a VPN to unlock earlier yesterday and enjoyed it it. Though I feel sometimes they have too many rooms with nothing going on.

BUT as it's been said before, the level detail is amazing. I love to just look at all of the aesthetic assets going through that really help the world building (unbuilding?) it frustrated me watching some streamers not even noticing some things like the giant demon walking through the city on the first level.

Either way looking forward to binging through the rest of it this weekend!

• 1Like

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot

I'm very conflicted over this game. On the one side, the presentation is phenomenal. They really hit it out of the park with the gun models, the environments and the music.

On the other side, they've taken everything that made Doom 2016 good and made it not that way. The UI is bright and crowded. The art style is cartoony and playful. But most importantly, the gameplay is way too complicated and bloated.

From all of the press you'd think that the combat is what makes the game enjoyable. However it feels completely unnatural to play.

So let's start with ammo. There are no ammo drops (or very little of them). The entire concept of scanning the level for ammo drops is gone. Instead, you're constantly without ammo until you use the chainsaw on an enemy. This would be fine if you could do it on many different enemies and if you didn't run out of fuel. But you're constantly running out of fuel, and certain enemies simply cannot get chainsawed (like arachnotron).

Then you've got the monster weaknesses. On paper this sounds great: certain monsters have weaknesses that you can exploit. In practice it's horrific. The cacodemon simply won't die without lobbing a grenade at its face. You can unload your entire machine gun or plasma rifle at it and it won't go down. And before you get to the argument of "well technically, you need to change your playstyle" imagine that you have to get a glorykill on the cacodemon every single time. And the glorykill animation is the same (pull the eyeballs or stabbing it through the eyeball).

To make matters worse you have to pick certain upgrades to enjoy the game properly. For instance, you're basically required to pick the machine gun precision aim upgrade in order to properly kill the revenant. Wait, you chose missiles? Well too bad! The revenant will now be a nightmare. You want to use the autoshotty? Too bad! You need to lob the guns off of the arachnotron.

There's also a lot of stuff that simply doesn't feel like a good addition to Doom. Why is there so much platforming? What are all of these collectables and upgrades? So much shit is thrown at the player at once that it's overwhelming. A good reference for a complex game that continues to introduce mechanics is God of War. You never feel like the game is throwing too much your way. Instead, it feels like the game is expanding. In Eternal it just feels like too much too quickly.

And lastly, the fucking story. I really will keep this brief, but really. What is even going on? How did the Doom Slayer get a fortress? Who is the Kahn Makyr? Who is this Ghost King and what is that orb you pick up? None of this makes any sense! It's been two hours and so much has been thrown my way that I'm ridiculously confused.

I'm really, really disappointed by this game. It plays nothing like Doom 2016. And while I'm all for innovation and improvement, this just feels like a massive departure from what makes Doom 2016 good. Doom 2016 is a simple, straightforward and concise shooter. Shooting the guns feels like a dream. Upgrades are slowly drip-fed and certain upgrades are never required to kill demons. The game looks gritty and realistic, not colorful and playful. And ultimately, the focus is on KILLING DEMONS.

I'm calling bullshit that he played Doom 2016 and you're just using this "review" as a justification to let us know how much you hate a game you've never played, Ut....

There's plenty of ammo drops on the ground, the issue is the amount you can carry until you get suit upgrades.

Monster weak points: IMO this is to just let you kill them faster but for the most part the TTK is about the same for most of the monsters as it was in Doom 2016 before they went to a staggered state. Maybe a LITTLE slower, but it's definitely not noticeable. If anything the weak points just help with some ammo conservation. He also mentions it re-uses the same glory kill without mentioning they are in fact positional depending on how you approach the monster.

And on Ammo: the limited resources let the chainsaw be useful and part of the game. In 2016 it was hardly used. You had the pistol with infinite ammo but was weak, but rarely ran out of ammo to need it when it mattered.

Platforming: This may be the only opinion/part of that review that i consider valid. There's a LOT of it, even for the base game to advance story. But I don't personally mind it. Different strokes/different folks. But yes, definitely a bit of it especially for areas with collectibles. But I enjoy the puzzle solving aspect for that.

Collectibles: Again I ask did he not play the first one? Codex entries, doomguy figurines, upgrade tokens, etc. All the same. How is this any different from Doom 2016 to count as a negative point for him?

UI: Not seeing his point again. I don't see anything cartoony, it may just be simplified and not to his liking. BFD? The part I'd maybe agree with is the constant tutorial popups in the game when you get something new. "Oh, new flamethrower shoulder attachment? Lets put you in a training sim to burn demons that don't move"

Weapon upgrades: Reviewer is a dumbshit acting like you are limited on weapon upgrade choices. You can swap between the sticky launcher/machine gun shotgun attachments on the fly. The game literally lets you get all of these to swap depending on the situation. It's not fucking you unless he blatantly overlooked the freebie upgrade bots. (I've actually seen a streamer do this, so reviewer may be equally retarded)

If anything I feel the reviewer played the very first level and only reviewed his experience based on that instead of everything unlocked from the word go in some press release demo.

Last edited:
  • 3Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I'm calling bullshit that he played Doom 2016 and you're just using this "review" as a justification to let us know how much you hate a game you've never played, Ut....

There's plenty of ammo drops on the ground, the issue is the amount you can carry until you get suit upgrades.

Monster weak points: IMO this is to just let you kill them faster but for the most part the TTK is about the same for most of the monsters as it was in Doom 2016 before they went to a staggered state. Maybe a LITTLE slower, but it's definitely not noticeable. If anything the weak points just help with some ammo conservation. He also mentions it re-uses the same glory kill without mentioning they are infact positional depending on how you approach the monster.

And on Ammo: the limited resources let the chainsaw be useful and part of the game. In 2016 it was hardly used. You had the pistol with infinite ammo but was weak, but rarely ran out of ammo to need it when it mattered.

Platforming: This may be the only opinion/part of that review that i consider valid. There's a LOT of it, even for the base game. But I don't personally mind it. Different strokes/different folks

Collectables: Again I ask did he not play the first one? Codex entries, doomguy figurines, upgrade tokens, etc. All the same. How is this any different from Doom 2016 to count as a negative point for him?

UI: Not seeing his point again. I don't see anything cartoony, it may just be simplified and not to his liking. BFD? The part I'd maybe agree with is the constant tutorial popups in the game when you get something new. "Oh, new flamethrower shoulder attachment? Lets put you in a training sim to burn demons that dont move"

Weapon upgrades: Reviewer is a dumbshit acting like you are limited on weapon upgrade choices. You can swap between the sticky launcher/machine gun shotgun attachments on the fly. The game literally lets you get all of these to swap depending on the situation. It's not fucking you unless he blatantly overlooked the freebie upgrade bots. (I've actually seen a streamer do this, so reviewer may be equally retarded)

If anything I feel the reviewer played the very first level and only reviewed his experience based on that instead of everything unlocked from the word go in some press release demo.

Fair enough on your opinion: Rebuttal from others.

AMEN. Unfortunately, I can't get a refund because I'm past two hours. I had hoped it would get better, but the arcade UI and the coathanger abortion of an RPG, FPS and arcade game ID has created really has me scratching my head. Gameplay is too complicated and does not flow.

i 100% agree with this review. This isn't doom. This is like if someone described doom to someone else, occasionally forgetting a few things. and that other person made it.

first impressions are everything. I'm not going to continue playing the game if this is what it plays like. Play the game and then come back to this review. There is no way I can handle another 16 hours of this kind of gameplay. It's horrendous.

Awesome review..I couldn't agree with you more Spaghet. You don't have to finish this game Bloomin Onion to know it sucks..trust me...this is an alright game, but a crappy Doom game. He nailed everything wrong with this game to the T. I could not have said it better myself.

you are right on the money. just made a similar comment, as im six hours in and i keep looking at my map with no idea whats going on, am constantly running away and hiding becuase i have no fuel and no ammo because i wasted it all on a mancubus, and tbh the only part ive enjoyed was the boss fights, as everything else feels like they left it to an intern to figure out the design

Amazing review, all of my feelings on the game put perfectly. I could have stomached the annoying new combat loop if at least the story picked up where the last one left off, but honestly this feels like there is an entire fucking game between the previous one and this. the way it just drops you the fuck in with no god damned idea what anything is, I thought they were going to pull a "six months earlier" thing part way through, but no, you just get to enjoy part 3 of a story with no part 2. Actually, it's probably more acurate to say part 3.2 since it seems this game starts you five minutes before getting mcguffin 1 of 3 without any explination of how you got there or what the mcguffin even is, making it feel like you missed an intro somwhere..

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Fair enough on your opinion: Rebuttal from others.

The last one, I will agree with a little there. It was a good reminder and I was a little confused as well. The timeline between the end of 2016 and this feels very disconnected. Unless there was some DLC I missed from 2016... But hoping its just explained later

In 2016 it ends by you being captured by Hayden and he takes your sword. In eternal, you're just on a ship hearing a distress call and you drop in to start kicking ass. How does Doomguy get from being captive to free and back to work? especially with the AI, VEGA, talking to him from the word go?

• 1Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
so it looks like bethesda included a DRM free .exe in the bethesda.net version.

there's the normal 369 MB denuvo DOOMEternalx64vk.exe in the main game folder. However, under ..\Doom Eternal\original you'll find a smaller 67 MB .exe with the same name. if you copy that onto the denuvo .exe it launches perfectly fine.

personally, i don't have it yet, but the crackwatch reddit is going nuts over bethesda cracking their own game lol

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Tarisk Tarisk to be fair to the thread, here is a positive review as well. Albeit, I think this is more real than most. In the end, it is still a recommendation (We are actually getting along, must be corona)

I've only played the first 3 missions. But something about doom 2016 felt more badass. The opening of 2016 was done so well. You could almost feel that visceral crunch of smashing that zombies head at the beginning. Then throwing the console away like trash when the first NPC tries to give you dialogue seemed to be reversing the missteps of the past like doom3. The glory kills were better like ripping demons in half with your bare hands. Now you just slice them with a sword but it's nothing that hasn't been done 100 times by other games with dismemberment. The cacodemon glory kills in particular seem downright cartoonie in eternal, a huge letdown from what they were in doom 2016.

I'm not a fan of the new parkour between fight arenas. It feels like how doom 3 lost its "doominess" by adding slow combat and lore spam to be like other jumpscare FPS at the time. The parkour seems to slow up the fun of blasting demons in the face. The parkour doesnt give enough in combat to do anything in the arena fights beyond the same dash and use of portals/jump pads, but I haven't unlocked the grapple I saw in the trailers so maybe that will change how it feels. And there is a ton more lore and dialogue. The wall latch feels tacked on last minute. The doomguy snaps to walls from too far and instantly to feel connected with the rest of the world or game environment. We went from 3-4 unlockables in each of the first few missions in DOom 2016, to up to 10-15 per mission in Eternal (This is too fast). I'd hate to see what later missions are like, maybe trying to find 30 unlockables each map. I am afraid I'll end up spending half my gametime looking up youtube videos or just rotating the in game map to make sure no stone is left unturned.

I still remember so many parts of 2016 even though I haven't played it in years for the new combat feeling it gave. Doom Eternals AI is more aggressive, but then extra crap between those fights that just doesn't hold up the 2016 standard. They tried to add a lot of new stuff trying to continue to raise the bar of FPS's but I think they went a little too far in the wodl building and it makes the combat feel too distant.

I'd still recommend this game. Its fun when the game finally puts you in a big arena. Most arena's in the first few levels are too tiny so far, but I can see it getting bigger and better as the game progresses similar to 2016. It's better than most FPS's in the market, but Doom 2016 and Darkness 2 are higher tier. I'd put Doom Eternal around the level of Rage 2 and borderlands 3. Each having things they do well that the other does poorly

• 1Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Trust that "review" as much as you would trust someone that only played to level 5 in EverQuest and then tried to give a fully-fledged opinion of the game. They just come off as clueless.

This is a progression based shooter, where you are getting vastly more powerful as you keep going. Everything changes as you progress and not just +gooder stats, but completely new abilities and variations on your weapons that let you approach enemies in different ways.

Right now, I will just say that the game is impressive. I need to finish it before I give a full opinion/review.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users