Doom: Eternal

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Trust that "review" as much as you would trust someone that only played to level 5 in EverQuest and then tried to give a fully-fledged opinion of the game. They just come off as clueless.

This is a progression based shooter, where you are getting vastly more powerful as you keep going. Everything changes as you progress and not just +gooder stats, but completely new abilities and variations on your weapons that let you approach enemies in different ways.

Right now, I will just say that the game is impressive. I need to finish it before I give a full opinion/review.

Did you play multiplayer yet?

xzi

Mouthbreather
I played until 6 am, time to do it again

game fuckin RULES. I am annoyed at how little ammo the shotgun has but it's manageable

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

xzi

Mouthbreather
Best non biased review I have seen so far.

I'm very conflicted over this game. On the one side, the presentation is phenomenal. They really hit it out of the park with the gun models, the environments and the music.

On the other side, they've taken everything that made Doom 2016 good and made it not that way. The UI is bright and crowded. The art style is cartoony and playful. But most importantly, the gameplay is way too complicated and bloated.

From all of the press you'd think that the combat is what makes the game enjoyable. However it feels completely unnatural to play.

So let's start with ammo. There are no ammo drops (or very little of them). The entire concept of scanning the level for ammo drops is gone. Instead, you're constantly without ammo until you use the chainsaw on an enemy. This would be fine if you could do it on many different enemies and if you didn't run out of fuel. But you're constantly running out of fuel, and certain enemies simply cannot get chainsawed (like arachnotron).

Then you've got the monster weaknesses. On paper this sounds great: certain monsters have weaknesses that you can exploit. In practice it's horrific. The cacodemon simply won't die without lobbing a grenade at its face. You can unload your entire machine gun or plasma rifle at it and it won't go down. And before you get to the argument of "well technically, you need to change your playstyle" imagine that you have to get a glorykill on the cacodemon every single time. And the glorykill animation is the same (pull the eyeballs or stabbing it through the eyeball).

To make matters worse you have to pick certain upgrades to enjoy the game properly. For instance, you're basically required to pick the machine gun precision aim upgrade in order to properly kill the revenant. Wait, you chose missiles? Well too bad! The revenant will now be a nightmare. You want to use the autoshotty? Too bad! You need to lob the guns off of the arachnotron.

There's also a lot of stuff that simply doesn't feel like a good addition to Doom. Why is there so much platforming? What are all of these collectables and upgrades? So much shit is thrown at the player at once that it's overwhelming. A good reference for a complex game that continues to introduce mechanics is God of War. You never feel like the game is throwing too much your way. Instead, it feels like the game is expanding. In Eternal it just feels like too much too quickly.

And lastly, the fucking story. I really will keep this brief, but really. What is even going on? How did the Doom Slayer get a fortress? Who is the Kahn Makyr? Who is this Ghost King and what is that orb you pick up? None of this makes any sense! It's been two hours and so much has been thrown my way that I'm ridiculously confused.

I'm really, really disappointed by this game. It plays nothing like Doom 2016. And while I'm all for innovation and improvement, this just feels like a massive departure from what makes Doom 2016 good. Doom 2016 is a simple, straightforward and concise shooter. Shooting the guns feels like a dream. Upgrades are slowly drip-fed and certain upgrades are never required to kill demons. The game looks gritty and realistic, not colorful and playful. And ultimately, the focus is on KILLING DEMONS.

I can't recommend this game. This is a hard pass for me.

Honestly this guy is just playing the game wrong and it's not surprising he doesn't enjoy it. Sounds like he wants to doom 2016 it and use one single weapon the entire game. I wouldn't trust written reviews of this game if I'm honest. This game is significantly better than Doom 2016 in every way, and the only downside is you can't just only use the gauss cannon or super shotgun for 99% of the game without dying.

sidenote: the entire story is in the codex if you read and connect the dots with the game world it makes perfect sense. They designed the game so you can skip the entire story if you want, but it is there and it is very in detail if you want that too.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Best non biased review I have seen so far.

I'm very conflicted over this game. On the one side, the presentation is phenomenal. They really hit it out of the park with the gun models, the environments and the music.

On the other side, they've taken everything that made Doom 2016 good and made it not that way. The UI is bright and crowded. The art style is cartoony and playful. But most importantly, the gameplay is way too complicated and bloated.

From all of the press you'd think that the combat is what makes the game enjoyable. However it feels completely unnatural to play.

So let's start with ammo. There are no ammo drops (or very little of them). The entire concept of scanning the level for ammo drops is gone. Instead, you're constantly without ammo until you use the chainsaw on an enemy. This would be fine if you could do it on many different enemies and if you didn't run out of fuel. But you're constantly running out of fuel, and certain enemies simply cannot get chainsawed (like arachnotron).

Then you've got the monster weaknesses. On paper this sounds great: certain monsters have weaknesses that you can exploit. In practice it's horrific. The cacodemon simply won't die without lobbing a grenade at its face. You can unload your entire machine gun or plasma rifle at it and it won't go down. And before you get to the argument of "well technically, you need to change your playstyle" imagine that you have to get a glorykill on the cacodemon every single time. And the glorykill animation is the same (pull the eyeballs or stabbing it through the eyeball).

To make matters worse you have to pick certain upgrades to enjoy the game properly. For instance, you're basically required to pick the machine gun precision aim upgrade in order to properly kill the revenant. Wait, you chose missiles? Well too bad! The revenant will now be a nightmare. You want to use the autoshotty? Too bad! You need to lob the guns off of the arachnotron.

There's also a lot of stuff that simply doesn't feel like a good addition to Doom. Why is there so much platforming? What are all of these collectables and upgrades? So much shit is thrown at the player at once that it's overwhelming. A good reference for a complex game that continues to introduce mechanics is God of War. You never feel like the game is throwing too much your way. Instead, it feels like the game is expanding. In Eternal it just feels like too much too quickly.

And lastly, the fucking story. I really will keep this brief, but really. What is even going on? How did the Doom Slayer get a fortress? Who is the Kahn Makyr? Who is this Ghost King and what is that orb you pick up? None of this makes any sense! It's been two hours and so much has been thrown my way that I'm ridiculously confused.

I'm really, really disappointed by this game. It plays nothing like Doom 2016. And while I'm all for innovation and improvement, this just feels like a massive departure from what makes Doom 2016 good. Doom 2016 is a simple, straightforward and concise shooter. Shooting the guns feels like a dream. Upgrades are slowly drip-fed and certain upgrades are never required to kill demons. The game looks gritty and realistic, not colorful and playful. And ultimately, the focus is on KILLING DEMONS.

I can't recommend this game. This is a hard pass for me.

these reviews suck, reads like the guy played for 5 minutes.

• 3Like

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I don't trust reviews for anything anymore, coming for any news outlet or any review on steam etc etc

They are not me, I am enjoying the game immensly..

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Picked it up on Xbox to play the MP with my brother and I can't aim for shit in this one. Feels like it should only be a mouse keyboard event; could play 2016 just fine with him but on this one it is like the controller equivalant of the mouse sensativity is at its max.

• 1Like

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Picked it up on Xbox to play the MP with my brother and I can't aim for shit in this one. Feels like it should only be a mouse keyboard event; could play 2016 just fine with him but on this one it is like the controller equivalant of the mouse sensativity is at its max.

Probably a bug with aim assist where consoles just play the game for you because controllers have always been shit for FPS

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
15% off at Gamersgate so figure I'd pick it up ... only to be put on a hold of up to 24 hours (likely because it's my first order there in 3 years).

#winning.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
15% off at Gamersgate so figure I'd pick it up ... only to be put on a hold of up to 24 hours (likely because it's my first order there in 3 years).

#winning.
Downside to GMG. Bethesda launcher. Upside. Twitch Prime reward
1584755109030.png

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Combat in this game is super rough at the beginning until you get the mobility tools and some weapons that can AoE the trash or burn down the big guys and get 1-2 ammo capacity upgrades. Then it gets fun. I was not having fun last night, that's for sure.

• 1Like

xzi

Mouthbreather
yeah I was getting completely assblasted on nightmare, I went down to ultra violence instead since I'm going to do a 2nd run through on nightmare anyways, but I'm at the point now where I'm beefed up enough that I feel pretty safe for the most part

It's surprising how difficult it actually gets. I thought the 1-ups were retarded the first time I saw it but they've been coming in clutch lmao

• 1Like

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Finished , haven't play any MP(yet), waiting on friends too finish story also before we tackle that..

That last mission, holy fuck it gets crazy.

• 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
so it looks like bethesda included a DRM free .exe in the bethesda.net version.

there's the normal 369 MB denuvo DOOMEternalx64vk.exe in the main game folder. However, under ..\Doom Eternal\original you'll find a smaller 67 MB .exe with the same name. if you copy that onto the denuvo .exe it launches perfectly fine.

personally, i don't have it yet, but the crackwatch reddit is going nuts over bethesda cracking their own game lol
It speaks "volumes" for Denuvo that you need to go from 67MB to 369MB...

• 2Like
  • 1Rimshot

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
yeah I was getting completely assblasted on nightmare, I went down to ultra violence instead since I'm going to do a 2nd run through on nightmare anyways, but I'm at the point now where I'm beefed up enough that I feel pretty safe for the most part

It's surprising how difficult it actually gets. I thought the 1-ups were retarded the first time I saw it but they've been coming in clutch lmao

On the 3rd level when you're dropped into that blood room where the walls are on fire and the music is blasting....

Awwwwwwww yeahhhhhh

• 2Solidarity

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Game let me down last night. They switched it up in a level with constant electronic or whatever shit music. That sucked and really dampened the bad assery.

• 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Game let me down last night. They switched it up in a level with constant electronic or whatever shit music. That sucked and really dampened the bad assery.

So basically this

giphy.gif

To this?

giphy.gif

• 2Worf

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Anyone who beat it, better or worse than 2016? I watched a lot of streams and story and graphics wise much better but I had this thought that the gameplay was slightly worse

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
it's alot harder, i'm on like level 4, it's not the same playstyle, this is much more of a combat puzzle game. I had to bump the difficulty down 1 like xzi

• 2Like