Doom: Eternal

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
For collectors out there, Prime 1 statue 36 inches tall at the low low price of $1799 for regular version, $1999 for the deluxe and $2399 for the ultimate version.

• 1WTF
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It feels like it's a bug that adding one level of Ammo improvement raises your machinegun from 60 to 90 bullets, but the shotgun from 16 to 18 shells. So at max rank you have three pickups worth of shells, but six pickups worth of bullets to go from out to max.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
The first level of anything should never be a struggle.

The last level should be a struggle.

This is personal preference.

The entire Soulsborne series is nothing but struggle from start to finish and those games are super popular. If you don't like the struggle, fine, but your statement is just flat out wrong.

• 2Like

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
did I miss the explanation by the way as to why I start off the game in a giant floatimg spaceship church?

or is this explained later on in the game?

• 1Worf

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I could guess its in your codex's somewhere to read about.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I can't remember if they tell you very early on but at least 2 or 3 levels in they say why and what it is. Also there's a lot of codex lore about it yeah.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I think the upped lore was a real weak point. Doom 2016 was great for its simplicity and presentation. Not to mention the humor of the UAC being full blown demon worshipping cultists. You are the Doom Slayer, you kill demons because fuck them.

Which is still true and all but this added backstory of whatever was made to be real important and give you all of this exposition moments where I was all, "I don't care." It was just way less self aware about that this time around.

I do like reading codex entries and stuff though.

But I do not remember how you got out of the paralyzation trick that Sam Hayden pulled on you in Doom 2016. I don't think they ever touch on that.

• 2Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 2 users

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
You boys squat to pee if you don't unlock and use the original Doomguy skin in the spaceship church asap.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
did I miss the explanation by the way as to why I start off the game in a giant floatimg spaceship church?

or is this explained later on in the game?

They did in a codex early on. It's basically a temple on the back of a titan walking about. (the one you see walking away when you jump out of it into the city is the titan that was carrying it). That is where the first hell priest is and he acts like an overseer from that temple.

This is also why the building shakes like crazy in the cutscene after you kill the hell priest as it's the Titan putting it down saying fuck it, I'm on break.

Later on on the same first mission you can see another Titan hauling one of the same church/temples around as well.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Finally beat the game (couldn't really play for 2 days) and here's some pros and cons thoughts from me now that I feel I can actually fairly talk about it. My background: I've played every single oldschool FPS multiple times and still actively play Doom mods. Doom 2016 was my favorite FPS of all time (until this game)

No spoilers except one specific demon that everyone knows already exists. (not a boss etc)

PROS:
  • Soundtrack, obviously

• An unparalleled amount of detail put into EVERY single inch of this game. Seriously just stop and look around, it's fucking banans how much the art team was pushed in this game and how unbelievably well this game still runs.

• Gameplay and general combat is genuinely the best FPS experience I've ever had once you learn the game and get into the flow.

• Game exponentially gets more difficult as time goes on, something I didn't really experience with Doom 2016. By the end of the game it really ramped up vs the beginning of the game, compared to 2016 I felt it just got easier.

• Lore and general expanding of the universe if you care about that type of thing (I do) was pretty enjoyable to dive into. The codex provides a lot of context to the larger story they're telling.

• There's a lot to be speculated on in terms of the story and where we go next, but also where we were in the past.

• The Options menu is MASSIVE, something a lot of games seem to just not give a shit about past general specs.

• Every single demon felt balanced aside from one (that's in cons).

• The game forcing me to switch weapons instead of just being content with my shotgun has made me enjoy it even more. I feel like a fucking quake god.

• Suit & gun upgrades were something I actually got excited about. Unlocking things like no overheating on the chaingun was a game changer in some parts.

• fuckin SHOTGUN GRAPPLING HOOK

CONS:
  • The Maurader. This is probably my only real gripe with this game. The Marauder is fun and feels like it does absolutely require skill, but it feels out of place against the rest of the demons. It even feels out of place against the bosses. I often times found instead of just zooming around and blasting I'd be standing still waiting for this dumb fuck to charge at me or so I can dodge properly when he throws his axe or pulls out his shotgun. The first one I died to probably 6 or 7 times, by the end of the game I wasn't dying to them at all so it's not really a question of skill.. it almost felt like it was designed for a soulsborne game rather than Doom. My biggest issue was just waiting to react instead of reacting in the moment, if that makes sense.

• SOME of the platforming. I say some because for the most part I was fine with it, in places it made sense like one of the later levels (the one before the last) because it's a masssssive complex and you're so tiny. But some of the platforming was literally like.. jesus another fucking wall to grab onto? I grabbed onto about 10 already in the last 10 seconds. (I know they're there for loading but jesus). I didn't mind the actual platforming like jumping across huge gaps or on falling platforms but the asassins creeding up walls got old.

• Elevators. What the fuck? Why are there so many elevators, and you can't even move on them lmao. Again, I know it's a loading thing but after the first few I was like.. yeesh.

• Tutorial popups being on by default. I don't have an issue with tutorials it's fine but it's extremely jarring and takes you out of the pace of the game when something like the first time I encountered an archvile it showed how to defeat the archvile before I even saw it. Kind of ruined the moment.. You can disable tutorials though. I very highly suggest you disable tutorials in the menus when you play through, worst case scenario you can't figure out how to kill a demon after trying just read the codex.

Overall I still give the game a 10/10 in terms of fun (again, if you learn to play properly) and a 9/10 in terms of the gripes I had with it, you can't dismiss the interruption of the flow of the game. I'm trying to be sort of objective here, but the game is the most fun I've had in a while.

Don't go into this game expecting more Doom 2016. The gameplay has evolved, and if you don't evolve with it you will not be having as much fun, you will be struggling. Don't dismiss it immediately because of ammo, learn to use your grenades and chainsaws (it recharged!) and eventually your other upgrades and you'll be golden. This game is also significantly harder than 2016, I ended up turning it from Nightmare to Ultra-Violence and I'd consider myself to be a very good player. At the VERY LEAST, the game is 100% worth a sale, but I do not dropping money on the deluxe edition for it. Whatever id Software decides to do next I'm all in.

• 2Like

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
I loved the game but agree on the marauder. It’s never a good thing when a mob feels cheap and the marauder was cheesy as hell with his perfect blocking ability.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
I loved the game but agree on the marauder. It’s never a good thing when a mob feels cheap and the marauder was cheesy as hell with his perfect blocking ability.
Pretty sure he takes damage if you shoot rockets past his shield on the ground. Not great damage, but it does pick away at him.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Still haven't bought the game quite yet thanks to work being absolutely insane over the last couple of weeks. Should I just hold out for a $15-20 discount?

Plus, is it really worth it to play on a "harder" difficulty or is there enough stupid mobs (keep hearing about this Marauder) and cheese moments to just play on the standard mode? I felt like the standard/normal mode on 2016 was actually pretty close to being balanced and offered a decent amount of "this is difficult enough". I did move to the step above later in that game though.

• 1Like

xzi

Mouthbreather
I was messing around with Hurt Me Plenty which is like.. the 'normal' difficulty after I beat it, it's still pretty balanced and offers plenty enough challenge regardless. I think the game is worth full price but it is 100% absolutely worth it on a discount. If you like FPS games you won't regret it. You can also change difficulty at any time during your save file now too so just crank it up if you feel it's too easy and vice versa.

Just to clarify, I don't think the Marauder is a bad fight, it just feels out of place. There's another.. similar fight to him but it's a boss so dealing with it doesn't feel weird in terms of pacing.

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Pretty sure he takes damage if you shoot rockets past his shield on the ground. Not great damage, but it does pick away at him.

He will turn and face a BFG ball allowing back shots. I’ve also seen him bug out and just stand motionless with the shield - it has something to do with the BFG.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
He will turn and face a BFG ball allowing back shots. I’ve also seen him bug out and just stand motionless with the shield - it has something to do with the BFG.
I am pretty sure a double blast of the bfg will kill him too. I am playing it on UV, and dont plan on playing on a higher difficulty.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Yeah. I killed him in my first encounter by using the grenade shotgun mod and just putting things on the ground next to him and using the airburst rockets when I ran out of shotgun ammo while dashing around trying to find a mook to chainsaw.

Didn't figure out how to actually fight him until the 3rd time I saw him.