Doom: Eternal

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Like most games w/ a season pass, it will reduce in price when some of that content begins to release, to get people to get both the game and the season pass.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Just pretend gas cans are ammo icons. Also along that line, you have a regenerating ammo source on you.

If you’re running out of ammo you’re not sawing enough.

• 1Solidarity

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I ran out of ammo with only one of the spider looking things you cant saw left on the map. I lol.

• 1Like

Louis

Trakanon Raider
I was deep into a level and ran out of ammo on a part that I needed to shoot a button to progress. Spazzed when I hit pause to load checkpoint and clicked restart the level. FeelsBadMan

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I am not much of a shooter person. I generally suck at them, but still enjoy them from time to time. I really liked Doom 2016. It was simple, straightforward and had a fantastic soundtrack. Naturally I was hoping this would be more of the same.

I had the opportunity to try this earlier today and didn't make it through the first level. Not a fan of the rainbow lootsplosions when you chainsaw something nor the giant yellow question mark I saw where a secret was. I can deal with that though. What I can't deal with is 16 fucking shells for my shotgun to start? Can't actually kill anything with melee unless it's a glory kill? Have to chainsaw all the time for ammo? Nope, this is not for me.

It's a shame, I was looking forward to this. I have no urge to go back and give it another try. I'll probably just buy the soundtrack and that will be it.

• 1Like

xzi

Mouthbreather
If you're not much of a shooter person you probably will never like it, but basically the entire first level or so is a struggle, past that the game drastically starts to open up.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
If you're not much of a shooter person you probably will never like it, but basically the entire first level or so is a struggle, past that the game drastically starts to open up.

The first level of anything should never be a struggle.

The last level should be a struggle.

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ok, I finished it.

If I had to describe the game in a word, it would be "Exhausting". The game makes you feel like a juggler and if you drop a ball, you die. I think me from 15 years ago with my lightning fast reflexes would have loved this game. Me of today found it a bit of a chore.

The game is well thought out. There are 8 or 9 guns, each has two firing modes, giving you close to 20 weapon varieties that you will need to be constantly swapping back and for between to defeat certain enemies. Every enemy has a weakness to a certain gun and a a weak point on their body that can be targeted. If you chose to just bullet sponge your way through everything, you are going to run out of ammo fast. The dance of gun swapping had my hand a wrist throbbing yesterday. It is a bit much.

Then you have resource management. Health, Armor, and Ammo. Each are a bar in constant flux that you have to try keep above zero. How do you do that? Your cool-downs. You can Chainsaw for ammo, you can Blood-Punch and glory kill for health, and you can light enemies on fire for armor. If that wasn't enough, you also have two more grenade types that are also on cooldowns that either damage or stun groups of enemies for a few other methods of gaining health or armor.

That is just the combat. The other major part of the game is the platforming and hidden secrets. Double jumping, dashing, clinging to walls, and flying through the air like super man, trying to time your cool downs is more tedious than fun. There are plenty of clever puzzles, but they are so frustrating to jump, die, respawn, repeat that it just starts to feel like filler. Plus they start to show you where everything is on the map with unlocks as you progress. So it is less about being observant or clever, and more about scanning the walls for cracks you can break through or walls with grooves so you can you can climb up on them.

The game is fucking hard. It is punishingly hard. It is only saved by a respawn and checkpoint system that knows you are going to die A LOT.

That is everything that didn't resonate with me personally. The development team just made a lot of choices that weren't fun. But they also did a lot extremely well.

The game runs flawlessly. 15+ hours of 60+ FPS explosions, guts, and gore. Not a single game crash, bug, or slow down. It plays FAST. It is beautiful. The environments are creative. The atmosphere is creepy. I thought the story was fine. I didn't care enough to read the Codex's, but I guess it really fleshes it all out if you do. I could write 500 words about how great the Music and sounds are but I'll save you the time. They are simply incredible and add so much to the experience.

I gave Doom 2016 a 9/10 for pure exhilarating fun factor. I feel that was the superior game to this one. They tried to 1-up themselves with Eternal, and the result is a mix of bloat and tedium. It is a game worthy of buying and playing through, but your mileage may vary.

Doom Eternal: 7/10.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Ok, I finished it.

If I had to describe the game in a word, it would be "Exhausting". The game makes you feel like a juggler and if you drop a ball, you die. I think me from 15 years ago with my lightning fast reflexes would have loved this game. Me of today found it a bit of a chore.

The game is well thought out. There are 8 or 9 guns, each has two firing modes, giving you close to 20 weapon varieties that you will need to be constantly swapping back and for between to defeat certain enemies. Every enemy has a weakness to a certain gun and a a weak point on their body that can be targeted. If you chose to just bullet sponge your way through everything, you are going to run out of ammo fast. The dance of gun swapping had my hand a wrist throbbing yesterday. It is a bit much.

Then you have resource management. Health, Armor, and Ammo. Each are a bar in constant flux that you have to try keep above zero. How do you do that? Your cool-downs. You can Chainsaw for ammo, you can Blood-Punch and glory kill for health, and you can light enemies on fire for armor. If that wasn't enough, you also have two more grenade types that are also on cooldowns that either damage or stun groups of enemies for a few other methods of gaining health or armor.

That is just the combat. The other major part of the game is the platforming and hidden secrets. Double jumping, dashing, clinging to walls, and flying through the air like super man, trying to time your cool downs is more tedious than fun. There are plenty of clever puzzles, but they are so frustrating to jump, die, respawn, repeat that it just starts to feel like filler. Plus they start to show you where everything is on the map with unlocks as you progress. So it is less about being observant or clever, and more about scanning the walls for cracks you can break through or walls with grooves so you can you can climb up on them.

The game is fucking hard. It is punishingly hard. It is only saved by a respawn and checkpoint system that knows you are going to die A LOT.

That is everything that didn't resonate with me personally. The development team just made a lot of choices that weren't fun. But they also did a lot extremely well.

The game runs flawlessly. 15+ hours of 60+ FPS explosions, guts, and gore. Not a single game crash, bug, or slow down. It plays FAST. It is beautiful. The environments are creative. The atmosphere is creepy. I thought the story was fine. I didn't care enough to read the Codex's, but I guess it really fleshes it all out if you do. I could write 500 words about how great the Music and sounds are but I'll save you the time. They are simply incredible and add so much to the experience.

I gave Doom 2016 a 9/10 for pure exhilarating fun factor. I feel that was the superior game to this one. They tried to 1-up themselves with Eternal, and the result is a mix of bloat and tedium. It is a game worthy of buying and playing through, but your mileage may vary.

I loved the constant management of resources and I always felt like I was in a fight no matter the odds. It was a beautiful symphony of destruction.

To each his own.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

xzi

Mouthbreather
The first level of anything should never be a struggle.

The last level should be a struggle.

I guess I could word it better, but it's a struggle before you learn how to play. Once you actually git gud the flow of this game is unbelivably good.

• 2Like

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Every time a game like this releases, I'm reminded of how bad I suck at FPS. :(
That's not the game's fault, it's mine. My reflexes have definitely dwindled over the years. When "Unreal: Tournament" came out (still my all-time favorite FPS) I was getting gorgeous head shot kills from across a map. I could play that game with the best of them. Now, games like Doom: Eternal, and even Apex: Legends, Fortnite, etc... I realize I'm not a kid anymore, and my twitch muscles and hand/eye coordination are for crap. My timing is off trying to parkour through the game at breakneck speed, I'm late switching between shooting, grenades, and chainsaw, switching targets, and, well, everything.

I still think this game is absolutely gorgeous, and runs as smooth as silk, and I'm having A LOT of fun, but dying over and over to platforming, and swarms of mobs is frustrating. Oh, to be young again.

• 2Solidarity

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Lots of things are hard on the first level and then open up significantly as your abilities/skills grow. That's one of those arguments that makes sense on paper but kind of falls apart in practice

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Overall I like this game. There is a lot in Fight Fight 's post that I echo.
Ok, I finished it.

The fights are fun and challenging at first until I figured out the I win play. The only asshole that gives me problems is the maurader if he comes at me with a crowd.

The I win button is the fire hook from the double barrel shotgun and the flame thrower. Keep that armor up at all times, control with the ice grenade, and everything else is cake. Keep running, refilling armor on all mobs, then chainsaw the chaff so you can refill your shotgun ammo.

The only time I find myself getting killed is when I am working on challenges for specific weapons and not doing what I want to do.

This game is good, but not as good as 2016.

• 2Like

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Agree on the Marauder. After beating it, the one guy that feels out of place. Sometimes even at "mid" range like you're supposed to fit him. he'll just stand there and throw dogs at me or fling shit and not go vulnerable to a counter attack. and when he does, and I successfully counter and get the free 1-2 shots in, I have to wait and do that again like 5 times or so.

I'm just happy he didn't show up as a "fuck you" mechanic during the Icon of Sin.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Marauder is definitely the most out of place enemy and is also the least forgiving. Marauder while with a group of other shit is just a total pain in the ass.

Having to counter him, ideally with the super shotgun while he's flinging dogs and you and mancubus and shit are all around? Yeah that just blows.

• 1Like

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Anyone else collectively shit themselves for a moment when you opened that one Slayer Key optional fight and immediately saw 2 Cyberdemons?

Fuck, that was a fun ass fight.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Slayer Keys are def a highlight for me. I loved all of them.

• 2Like