Dragon Age: Inquisition (Plot Details in Spoilers!)

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Using the same proc (or any other masterwork slot ability) on two different items doesn't stack btw.
So my twin guard daggers isnt necessary? Fuuuuu

Its ok i havent done any t3 schematic farming yet. I just hit hissing wastes yesterday.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm probably just going to finish the dagger challenge and skip the mace challenge unless I happen to open a 100+ dps mace.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Got this for christmas. Only about 5 hours in (rerolled.. since the big dude couldn't wear helmets and that bothered me). Most fun I've had in a single player RPG in a long while. I'm on PS4 but the graphics are really good, controls feel mostly good and not quite as clunky as DA:O on ps3. Sometimes targetting is wonky, and I haven't really used the tactical view at all - just no point yet as I steamroll shit as a 2H warrior.

Question - which spec for 2H warrior is the best for steamroll damage?

Is there a certain party make-up character wise that is leaps and bound above the rest? For instance, I'm using Sera because I thought Varric looked stupid.

Is MP enjoyable? I haven't tried it yet since it was down around Christmas on PSN.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
Got this for christmas. Only about 5 hours in (rerolled.. since the big dude couldn't wear helmets and that bothered me). Most fun I've had in a single player RPG in a long while. I'm on PS4 but the graphics are really good, controls feel mostly good and not quite as clunky as DA:O on ps3. Sometimes targetting is wonky, and I haven't really used the tactical view at all - just no point yet as I steamroll shit as a 2H warrior.

Is there a certain party make-up character wise that is leaps and bound above the rest? For instance, I'm using Sera because I thought Varric looked stupid.

Is MP enjoyable? I haven't tried it yet since it was down around Christmas on PSN.
I would avoid 2H warrior because the combo detonators are bugged and don't work. Only discharge (mighty blow or whirlwind a paralyzed target) actually works, the rest do no damage at all. The sword/shield combo detonators work fine.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I would avoid 2H warrior because the combo detonators are bugged and don't work. Only discharge (mighty blow or whirlwind a paralyzed target) actually works, the rest do no damage at all. The sword/shield combo detonators work fine.
That is slightly disheartening. Can I respec with no major disadvantages? I mean, I chose 2H Warrior at the beginning, I'm not locked in to something now and can change to 1h/shield?

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider

As long as you have 1 of each base class, you'll be fine. If you're playing a warrior, if you go reaver or champion, you'll be fine as the only warrior if you don't like cassandra, blackwall, or iron bull, but you wouldn't want to spec templar as the only tank, which is actually a pretty cool party buffing/damage spec and great for taking out both mages and rifts (you can kill a demon instantly before it fully warps in with spell purge), you just won't be able to take hits all that well unless you're using the 1-hand tree and a shield... but 1handed weapons actually do decent damage. champion is just a much better damage reduction/guard specialization, and reaver works well by yo-yo'ing your health with lifetaps. You probably also want to consider Vivienne as a backup tank if you don't want to use 2 warriors. I do like Verric's specialization (traps and party buffs) a million times better than Sera's (which seems like it'd be much better overall for a main character). But 2hand templar or reaver probably best, both specs work great as a backup tank/support/peel/beefydps role.

There aren't really any party comps that are leaps and bounds above the rest. The more "interesting" or well-rounded your main class is, the more you'll want to stick to basic specialized tank/healer/dps for your other three. I am a knight-enchanter (beefy dps), I use a sword and board cassandra as a tank (I hate blackwall), solas specced as frost/spirit for extra barriers/stuns as damage reduction, and varric for the massive pure dps he provides.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yea, the AI plays a couple classes really really poorly, particularly, any dagger spec rogue, knight enchanter, reaver, necromancer are the ones that spring to mind, those should be kept to the Player Character only. Unless you want to control the npc in combat full-time and just let your own character be ai controlled.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
Templar is the best spec in the game, by far.

1. Spell Purge is an AoE eldritch detonator, and is absurdly powerful because it's considered a Mage ability. Eldritch detonators do a flat 500% weapon damage when detonating a Warrior or Rogue ability, and Warrior weapon damage is triple that of Mages, so you get 3x the damage using it to detonate a status effect versus using Dispel. You can also prime your own detonator with Wrath of Heaven and get the full cross-class damage bonus because Spell Purge is coded exactly like Dispel. You can utterly wipe out entire groups with this. If you have an Assassin to open with Sleep you can Spell Purge the asleep targets for thousands of damage + fear.

2. Applying Weakness to a Shocked target puts it to sleep. Have your Mage open with Chain Lightning and Maker's Will now gives every basic attack and every ability used from every party member a 5% chance to sleep the target. Sleep lasts for 3 seconds after being broken by damage and can be detonated during these 3 seconds. Whenever you get a proc, spell purge or dispel will do tons of damage and fear the target, shield bash will apply a huge rupture DoT.

The Templar synergies absolutely destroys shit in this game. I'm running a Mage char and I use Solas as well. Solas opens with Chain Lightning -> Veilstrike which puts all the enemies to sleep. Cassandra spell purges for thousands of damage and fears the entire pack, I have my main character lay down Static Cage which causes all the feared enemies to get paralyzed in the center as they try to run out, hit the closely packed, paralyzed group with Shield Bash to set off an AoE discharge for every enemy hit for thousands of damage again. If anything is still alive use Wrath of Heaven to AoE stun and then Dispel the group for another massive damage combo and fearing everything all over again. Everything will get paralyzed in the center again and you can use Shadow Strike or upgraded Long Shot to detonate every enemy in the group again. When they get up from that, War Horn to fear everything back out again.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Unfortunately the game is so easy on nightmare that you don't need any of that.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
This is good stuff. I was thinking Reaver before, but I'll have to re-evaluate it right now. Just enjoying this overall. I hated DA:O for what it's worth.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Reaver is still a beast; once you get some stamina regen built in you can really blow shit up with your dragon/devour attacks. I run a double mage party to keep barriers plentiful and just go at it with reckless abandonment with my reaver as my main.

Darph_sl

shitlord
::Long slow fart noise::
rrr_img_87458.jpg

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Amazing how low the percentages are on those completions, even the easy ones. I can't recall exactly but only 40% of the players got even close to the half way point in the game thus far and even some of the really early and automatic completions only have 65% or so. I looked at it a couple of days ago and was kind of shocked.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Looking to get this game. Have they redeemed themselves enough that I should give them money for it? Or are the online features so compelling I should give them money anyway?

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Cassandra seemed like the most effective tank to me. She also did decent damage and wasn't as fragile as Iron Bull.
I respecced blackwall and it really seems like the way to go. I only gave him ...shield wall in sword and shield and the rest is Champion/Vanguard. I really hate the bullrush /running type skills because he is always so spammy about that shit.

I finally managed to get my grubby hands on tier 3 daggers and pumped cunning/crit damage on them. As an assassin build anything can die in a few quick skills. Mark, invis, hidden blade, blow mark of death and then deathblow.
I am running more and more Blackwall, Sera, Dorian (Spirit, Ice). Although I don't thing the PC handles archers very well. They sit really close in melee range for me. I just don't know the appeal of Solas and his Rift spec...

I take Cassandra when I want to do Cassandra things. I respecced Iron Bull and dropped him fully into reaver....vanguard...i think for the guard bonus...he just takes too much fucking damage to be useful. I made absolutely sure to turn off all his taunts and stuff. He gets all horned up fighting dragons but he is such a liability when doing it. Vivi-bitch I cant seem to make her more survivable when getting close in her Knight /Enchanter deal. Varric suffers from using Bianca...and not getting any schematics for it. Cole is redundant..but I would like to take him along someday

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Amazing how low the percentages are on those completions, even the easy ones. I can't recall exactly but only 40% of the players got even close to the half way point in the game thus far and even some of the really early and automatic completions only have 65% or so. I looked at it a couple of days ago and was kind of shocked.
It gets funny between different places - places like PSNProfiles that only has accounts of people who give a shit to some degree has it way higher for example.Aszuthan's Dragon Age: Inquisition Trophies - PSNProfiles.com

[And yes, I've been slacking on gaming for a bit]

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Looking to get this game. Have they redeemed themselves enough that I should give them money for it? Or are the online features so compelling I should give them money anyway?
Yes they've mostly redeemed themselves from the debacle of DA2, no the online features are not compelling.