Dune (2020)

gLobal

Trakanon Raider
Just got back from an early showing. Two others joined who had never read the book, and both of them went in blind. All of us liked it. One friend thought it was great to excellent. Other is interested in the book now - so that's nice.

The visuals were very Villeneuve, so no complaints at all with how the movie looked. Beautiful, distinct, large in scale, and memorable scenes.

The soundtrack was good. My qualm was that it overlapped the dialog in some parts, and felt a bit awkward in others.

It should have better explained the Emperor's setup (a huge valid critique from friend 1). I think it would have been nice if a bit more of the politics and motivation were explored. Plans within plans was absolutely central to the book.

The cast did very well in my opinion. Nobody was too out of place, but Kynes felt like the weakest actor.

The pacing was fast, and several details were left out of the scenes - nothing too glaring. Overall it felt pretty true to the book.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
Yeah, unfortunately Dune's central character isn't a bi-female.

At least on-screen.

the spice transforms consciousness

the spice chops your dick off

xwdhcvel4g341.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Does HBO have a "reason for canceling" box when you end a sub? I am going to sub for a month or three and want to put "here for Dune and Curb" as a reason.

I forgot if I saw one after I canceled when Chernobyl was over.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
This is true, in a way (according to particle physics). If you knew where every particle in the universe was, you could predict the future and know the past with 100% accuracy. Conservation of information means all that data is out there still.

All you need is a computer the size of the universe to make the computations.
Askhtually... Thats not possible at all due to the randomness quantum mechanics.

tenor.gif

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Askhtually... Thats not possible at all due to the randomness quantum mechanics.

tenor.gif
I only have layman's knowledge of the subject and it gets far too dry and complicated to spend too much time on it.

So, here is Astrophysicist Matt O'Dowd talking about it, time stamped to 7:58, where he briefly talks about the uncertainty principle. As always, theoretical Physics is an incomplete picture at best, with various competing theories. Space Time has a few videos that deal with the conservation of information and how it relates to a deterministic quantum universe.

Last edited:

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Pfft, all you folks who think this universe's quantum states can ever be seen and aren't also being subtley twisted by all our neighboring universes might as well be flat earthers like those fags at CERN. You would need a computer bigger than ALL of the universes to even begin to map ours.

Elon Musk Weed GIF

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Ok this is cool as shit. I didn't want it to stop. If this was 5 hours that told the whole story I would have watched it in one sitting. If they don't finish is by giving him the green light for part 2 then the studio can suck a dick.

• 14Like
Reactions: 13 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
3 times in the first hour I’ve had hbo max error out and tell me “title not found”, they are having trouble locating the title I’m trying to stream. Small indie company I tell ya.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
I loved it and WANT the sequel NOW. imo very well done, beautiful. Imo better than the lynch version. and I love the lynch version

• 10Like
Reactions: 9 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Having watched the first Dune in theaters as a teen I can say this one will make far more sense if you haven't read the books. Of course the first was a hacked up remnant of what Lynch filmed but still...

And it will probably actually appeal to a combo of the GoT crowd, and the generic YA novel crowd as Paul is the template from which all modern "chosen one" tropes are forged.. heh

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This wasn’t bad. I enjoyed most of it. Definitely more excited to see a sequel as the story got way more engaging by the end of the movie.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
LOVED IT! Great movie, great acting, amazing visuals, just outstanding.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
I sort of wish they hadn’t dumbed down the dune “setting” for the general audience.
And Harkonnens needed more cruelty shown instead of just talked about.
But overall I enjoyed it.