Dune (2020)

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
And here I thought Dune captured the spirit of middle east perfectly, a bunch of sand American Inventors have spice (oil) and when given the chance they kill billions of innocents in the name of a false God ( religion of peace)
After being manipulated by a cabal of foreigners (Bene Gesserits) (aka Jesuits) over the span of a millennia

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I took the spider thing to be some kind of gimp, they wanted to portray the depravity of the Harkonnens but since gay stuff can't be bad anymore they went with a spider in a gimp suit.
6764bc2032a5c0f004c9773171de4d66.png

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Man I used to love that band when I was in highschool and college.

yeah bull fighting is a big part of Leto's Dads backstory, as they are walking away from his burial site on Caladan they make a passing reference as to how he died fighting bulls. The giant bull head that is crated I believe is the one that killed him.

I think its sort of meant to suggest that leto's dad was sort of the typical noble, doing weird personal shit and not too interested in galactic affairs, and Leto is much more into politics and stuff.

Leto's dad never gets more than passing references. I think from the fact that he raises someone so aware as Leto, that he probably was very keen on politics.

The Old Duke died displaying 'bravado' in a bull fight. He knew the bull was dangerous but he went into it anyway, because he needed people to see him face down the danger and win.

Duke Atreides is the exact same way. He knows Dune is dangerous but he goes into it anyway because he thinks he can win, or he needs the Universe to see that he can win. Don't forget he is the undeclared President of the Landsraad. If he rolled into Dune and beat the Harkonnen/Imperial Ambush, and started making a bunch of money off of Spice? That would have been a whole nother story. Duke Atreides would have been Emperor, or at least the biggest fish in the Imperium.

Dune is the Bull.

Duke Atreides is his father.

They both suffer the same fate.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
You literally see the shield on Duncan's ornithopter stop a missile right before the Harkonnen ship starts firing a laser at it.
The missiles also dramatically slow down to pierce the shields on the other ships during the battle, or whatever.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
He goes to Dune because refusing would be the end of his house.
How so? The emperor just strip his titles? If so and it’s that easy to remove a house why did the emperor fear them/think of them as a threat?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
How so? The emperor just strip his titles? If so and it’s that easy to remove a house why did the emperor fear them/think of them as a threat?
It would be open rebellion against the Emperor to refuse his order to take control of Arrakis. At best it would be civil war, at worst the rest of the Landsraad would join the Emperor in wiping out House Atreides.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
So I just saw this and I have some thoughts.

1. The cinematography was unreal. It was beautiful to look at the whole way through.
2. The sound editing was garbage. There was so much dialogue that got lost.
3. I know this might make me sound like a snob, but I really like how much you would miss if you don't know the books. Take the fight at the end, when Paul was fighting and kept slowing down at the kill moment. They asked "is he playing with me!?" But if you know the books, it's because he's used to fighting with shields, where you have to slow to get through the body shield. There were quite a few moments like that.
4. I'm glad they're not showing the worms more. Keeps building the tension. Kind of like Aliens.
5. They should have included more plot and character development, and fewer beautiful views.

I rather liked it. 4 out of 5. I'm excited for the next one.

• 10Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 10 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Emperor wouldn't just strip his titles, but the story of his father explains why the duke just can't turn down the opportunity. If he succeeds, it's a huge jump in his standing, a huge blow to his main rivals the harkonnens. One of the main reasons Leto is pretty much the defacto leader of the lansraad coalition is that they are seen as an honorable and bold house. Turning down such an opportunity would make is support in the lansraad weaken from just that alone. Pretty much every single danger that befalls them is considered by characters in leto's family as it's going, he just dies on the horns because he was a bit too slow to react.

Sterling

El Presidente
So I just saw this and I have some thoughts.

1. The cinematography was unreal. It was beautiful to look at the whole way through.
2. The sound editing was garbage. There was so much dialogue that got lost.
3. I know this might make me sound like a snob, but I really like how much you would miss if you don't know the books. Take the fight at the end, when Paul was fighting and kept slowing down at the kill moment. They asked "is he playing with me!?" But if you know the books, it's because he's used to fighting with shields, where you have to slow to get through the body shield. There were quite a few moments like that.
4. I'm glad they're not showing the worms more. Keeps building the tension. Kind of like Aliens.
5. They should have included more plot and character development, and fewer beautiful views.

I rather liked it. 4 out of 5. I'm excited for the next one.
I mostly agree with this. your 3rd point is interesting. Not really a snob thing, but if you flesh out a lot of the details you end up with a 4 hour movie and how's that going to work with general audiences? Nerds like the majority of this forum might be really into it, but not sure it would have wide appeal. You never know though, the extended LotR movies are the default cut at this point.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I mostly agree with this. your 3rd point is interesting. Not really a snob thing, but if you flesh out a lot of the details you end up with a 4 hour movie and how's that going to work with general audiences? Nerds like the majority of this forum might be really into it, but not sure it would have wide appeal. You never know though, the extended LotR movies are the default cut at this point.

Totally right. I'd be entirely up for a four hour version, but that's not what you release to the theatres. I guess we look forward to the extended release in a year or so?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>

A longer movie with more depth would vastly superior to a pretty movie with no soul. I am willing to bet anyone who isn't fellating the books and went into this raw, your general viewing audience probably hated this movie.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
It should be normalized that an epic film should take at least 3-3.5 hours. Anyone who can’t focus on a single thing for that long is a softbrained simpleton.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users