Dune (2020)

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
People saying the casual viewer with no book knowledge probably didn't like this, are really underestimating how much visuals will drive a movie. It was interesting, big in scale, had giant worms etc. General consensus was that people just enjoyed the movie.

It's far from perfect, but a 4 hr movie (which I'd strongly prefer) would never fucking sell. A lot of over-analyzing going on. After part II & III I'm hoping it will conclude with a very solid, AAA rendition - I am worried about zoomer Chani, not gonna lie.
Most of the complaining is from book people. Everybody I know with zero book knowledge loved the movie.

Sterling

El Presidente
That surprises me a bit because I thought they'd be lost if they didn't know the story as there was so little development.
There are some random lines thrown in that reference stuff, but it's all just casually inserted and not comprehensive at all. and the other thing is a lot of people don't need everything explained and will just enjoy it for what it is.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
People who aren’t book readers don’t know what they don’t know, it’s that simple. Oh Dr Yueh betrayed the Duke? Must just be a traitor. No one is complaining about lack of detail on imperial conditioning because it simply isnt a thing for them.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That surprises me a bit because I thought they'd be lost if they didn't know the story as there was so little development.
Most of that stuff not included is just world building. It’s great and adds to the story but you don’t need it to understand the base story. You don’t need to understand what a mentat is or how imperial conditioning works. The guys with weird lips are good with math and the doctor betrayed Leto to save his wife. It’s an incredibly immersive movie with incredible production and a great cast.

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Sometimes getting all the details and information gives you LotR extended editions and sometimes it gives you Rogue One and Solo.

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Sometimes getting all the details and information gives you LotR extended editions and sometimes it gives you Rogue One and Solo.

Yeah but imagine if LoTR was a story about some small dudes going to destroy a ring but we didn't know why. Details are what makes a story regardless of what tard fags in this thread want to pretend.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
FDEWj1wWYAkq05H

Lightning Lord Rule Lightning Lord Rule I need to be able to tiresome this shit pronto.

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

spronk

FPS noob
the memes are pretty good but not quite star wars or fast and furious tier yet, probably need Dune part 2 for that

63rcvk2jt7x71.jpg

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Good movie. My only criticism was the last line, this is only the beginning. I would've changed it to "this is only nothing."

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Didnt realize the "Dreams are messages from the deep" at the very start of the film is same as the Sardaukar chant.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Chiming in as a long-time Dune admirer/reader.
Yeah, I am one of those people that feels that this text is impossible to translate well to film from a reader's perspective. Having read it at least a half dozen times, the novel has so many layers and nuances.

Here's my minimalist 2 cents as a viewer (who bought his tickets in advance-- center seat at an HD theater 3rd row (behind the empty "handicapped" row).

I LOVED IT while I was watching it. But man, I felt cheated when it ended where it ended. The two plus hours FLEW by.

I am worried by the fact that the theater was not sold out and that it clearly was a very costly, labor of love. But I hear they are not filming the sequel(s) in succession. That's a mistake. It's a damn-near perfect movie theater experience while one is immersed in it. Then it just ends. Ugh. That feeling of incompleteness will hurt the potential of the sequel happening (or happening at the level of this inaugural re-attempt). If, a viewer like me, that was all-in for the source material AND loved the experience in real-time walks out feeling a sense of incompleteness, what are the chances of a sense of closure/completion? I'm worried it will be a half-finished masterpiece. (Also, in a weird way, that would kind of make the movie immortal...)

I, for one, would have sat through 5 hours of a complete attempt at "Dune." Bring back the movie experience. Hell, bring back intermission!

Last edited:

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
They already greenlit the second half - its coming your way, October 2023. Looking forward to how they do the throne scene near the end in particular. I recently compare this scene between the Lynch and Sci Fi series, because its such a money payoff for the buildup. I liked the Sci Fi series rendition more, but I could imagine it being even more dramatic in a Villeneuve movie with great sound / ambiance.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users