Dune (2020)

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
This would have been much better as a TV series. The movie felt both super long yet they actually left so much out.

I agree with this 100%. My only possible caveat is that it would have had a smaller budget and different actors if it were made as a TV series, and that would have had a huge impact on its success.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Pretty good. Villeneuve was born to make this movie. Only thing that bothered me was that it wasn't an HBO series instead, they didn't cut much of what I'd consider 'essential'--but the visuals and atmosphere were so good that I'd have gladly sat through 10 hours of minutia world building just to keep eating that up.

People have way too much time on their hands, lol. This is why the movie as an artform is dying, people want these 10 hour binge-able shows where 80% of it could have been left in the editing room.

This would have been much better as a TV series. The movie felt both super long yet they actually left so much out.

• 13Worf
  • 1Spotlight
Reactions: 13 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I stand by my comment in the general case, Dune is just too dense.

Villeneuve is not an efficient user of time either, this movie could have been 10 minutes longer, cut out 10 minutes of bullshit transition scenes, and fit in more of the important dialog and expository bits, and then it still would have been... half a book.

• 2Direct to DVD
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>
If you know this reference, you might be old.

2580e3c776cf121febde586939456cd0_width-600.jpg
"you can't hear pictures" my ass.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yea Dune has problems but if we cant just enjoy a Villenueve film in 2021 then Im not sure anyone can enjoy anything.

My real problem with the movie is it is a hollow lifeless husk, which maybe is intentional but you dont see any Dune civilians or any day to day examples or regular people, anywhere.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My real problem with the movie is it is a hollow lifeless husk, which maybe is intentional but you dont see any Dune civilians or any day to day examples or regular people, anywhere.

Good point. It may be intentional, as to contrast the prim and proper world of the high houses in the first to that of the second movie; where they can show the kinship and comradery of the Fremen.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Yea Dune has problems but if we cant just enjoy a Villenueve film in 2021 then Im not sure anyone can enjoy anything.
This.

Regardless of anything going on in the film, Villenueve flicks can be enjoyed simply from a cinematography standpoint. Neither Dune nor BR2049 were amazing films from a script/writing standpoint (despite Gosling turning in an amazing performance in 2049), but they are so fucking masterfully shot that I didn't really care.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Great Review
Reactions: 5 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
They both really liked it though, how does that review prove your point at all?
I'd say they enjoyed both movies, but admitted both movies had flaws. I'm pretty much in line with their thinking. Villanueve's movies look spectacular and are an enjoyable ride. It definitely messed with the book story, but mostly in a dumb it down for movie goers sort of way, not the rake it over the coals treatment series like WoT are getting. I'll be there for part 2.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I just watched this with my wife, who never read the book.
She found the movie great but not 100% understandable. Things are explained in a single sentence and that's it, so that was hard to follow. might need a second viewing.

For me who loved the first movie because it was weird and I was maybe 5-6 y.o., then played the shit out of Dune and Dune 2, I found it to my taste, except Jessica who appears as a frail woman, when I always imagined her keeping her composure despite all. Paul is ok, I imagined him a bit more bulky, anyway.
To me, the 2 hours went like a breeze. Overall good movie, good dune stuff, but the movie didn't move me or anything. 7/10

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Just rewatched both mini series. Whatever happened to the milf playing Ghanima? Jessica something.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Finally got around to watching this.

Stunning visuals.

Uncertain how but the David Lynch movie did a better job of making me care more about the characters. Maybe they were portrayed as much more larger than life considering the screen time they were given in the original.

Dr Huey in the Lynch movie was infinitely better than the current version.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Finally got around to watching this.

Stunning visuals.

Uncertain how but the David Lynch movie did a better job of making me care more about the characters. Maybe they were portrayed as much more larger than life considering the screen time they were given in the original.

Dr Huey in the Lynch movie was infinitely better than the current version.
Yueh could have definitely been fleshed out better.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user