Dungeons & Dragons (2022)

Sevens

Log Wizard
Actually, if you played Baldurs Gate religiously in your youth you would basically know a lot of the lore. It takes place around the same locations (Baldurs Gate is south of Waterdeep, the main city in the story. It was Waterdeep, right?)

The Red Wizards of Thay are one of the mentioned factions in Baldurs Gate, and I nostalgia'd upon their mention. I don't recall them being evil cunts, though. It's been 20 years since I played Baldurs Gate and I was a wee lad.

Good ol' Faerun, though. It started my obsession with fantasy worlds and lore and poring over the details on fantasy maps.
The main city in the movie was Neverwinter, not Waterdeep

gLobal

Trakanon Raider
I didn't even know the movie was out until someone mentioned it today. When I looked it up there was only 1 daily showing, so I figured I better catch it before it's gone. I went in with no clue what to expect, so I was thinking Warcraft movie quality.

It was much better than expected. Pretty much all of the sillyness can easily be explained in the context of a typical goofy campaign. It went a little far with the diversity requirements, but I honestly don't give enough of a shit to be salty about it.

I was surprised at the A-list casting. Acting was good enough for my tastes, and the pacing felt perfect. Story was predictable, but you really don't want to get too weird when trying to bring in the masses in a new fantasy setting. It felt approachable. There were some light-hearted chuckles, fairly good special effects, and a surprising amount of references/ability callbacks.

I'd give it 4 out of 5 for me personally. There have been way too many sequels lately - so it felt good to see an IP that isn't wore out (yet).

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Have they announced VOD and such for this yet? Not compelling enough to want to go to a theater, but I kinda want to watch it where I'm not contributing money to those who want to "emasculate all our male leads"

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
bro

1682459215672.png

Goatface

Have they announced VOD and such for this yet? Not compelling enough to want to go to a theater, but I kinda want to watch it where I'm not contributing money to those who want to "emasculate all our male leads"
probably not until late may/early june

spronk

FPS noob
nice, that was super fast. 100% worth a watch I really enjoyed this and John Wick 4

• 4Like

Goatface

Coming to VOD tomorrow (May 2nd)
32 days after release is crazy, it is still in the top ten. they probably left $10+million on the table, well their lower % of that. pretty sure it did earn enough to put shazam2 back as the biggest bomb this year so far

=

sorry Haus Haus but every article i had seen was saying around 60 days.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
32 days after release is crazy, it is still in the top ten. they probably left $10+million on the table, well their lower % of that. pretty sure it did earn enough to put shazam2 back as the biggest bomb this year so far

=

sorry Haus Haus but every article i had seen was saying around 60 days.
No worries... It will hit, and I will wait the appropriate 24-48 hours for a high quality copy to be available at the usual locations. ;)

Although I'm tempted to pay to stream it maybe.... maybe....

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I ended up watching this yesterday. It wasn't bad, but at the same time, I didn't love it. Oh well.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

I liked it. Was a fun movie and the characters were likable as well. This movie actually understood what the Willow TV series missed the mark on in terms of having a more lighthearted fantasy comedy with the occasional serious moment

I also liked how the high level Uber paladin didn’t carry their group the entire movie even though he could have. He basically did a dungeon run carry to help get some noobs some loot

I would 100% watch future movies if they ever made them

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
How on earth did this end up being as good as it was

I didn't even hate Rodriguez that much

Speak with dead scene was 10/10 even having the beginning of it spoiled months ago

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
One of the players had a work trip so we did a watch party of this last night instead of our usual session. It was really good! I was genuinely shocked at how good it was. Snappy pacing, genuinely funny moments, the right level of authentic fanservice, Jarnathan...all prime stuff.

• 4Like

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
My wife and i loved the dragon scene. mostly because one of our cats- tobin- is fat like that. (tobin was a hit by car kitten from the Tobin Bridge in Boston-she was tossed outta a car,- she WAS my wife's clinic cat and she did have damage to her pineal? gland due to the hit by car so while she is fully grown and ~4yrs old, she is the size of a ~6 month old kitten...just FAT-she got spoiled at the vet clinic.)

movie was way better than i expected (like i said previously)

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
How on earth did this end up being as good as it was

I didn't even hate Rodriguez that much

Speak with dead scene was 10/10 even having the beginning of it spoiled months ago
My reaction was pretty much exactly what you posted. My first words when telling a friend about it last night were even about how I didn't mind Rodriguez.

That fat fucking dragon was great too.

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
Loved it. It really felt like a D&D adventure, which was cool. Also,
A couple of things. Anyone else disappointed we didn't get Drizzt in the Underdark? And secondly, since we got to see the old D&D cartoon characters in the maze, I was really hoping we'd see a nod to the Dungeon Master, too. Unless he was Xenk the Paladin in disguise to help the adventurers, or sent him along with the birdman at the beginning. heh.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
They wanted to use Drizzt originally but went with Zenk instead. I think it's actually a smart choice.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users