Dwarf Fortress

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
No idea but I think you'd go insane playing this without a mouse.
You can use a mouse and keyboard with the deck. We’ll see if I need to, but it’s not like that’s a problem at all. I can play on my steam deck all day at work with a keyboard and mouse out, but for some reason they get pissy when you bring a laptop. So steam deck for 8 hours it is.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
In ye olden tymes, you'd always want to be sure to take an anvil or two. Seems like one time I had a kobold thief steal mine and It was really hard to get one. Had to trade for it or something.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Wtf you don't have to irrigate fields any more? That was the early game challenge that separated those who could survive from those that couldn't.

Can you still move water around and build death chambers?

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Wtf you don't have to irrigate fields any more? That was the early game challenge that separated those who could survive from those that couldn't.

Can you still move water around and build death chambers?
The game was never really that challenging so to say, so I don't have a problem if they removed some of the more tedious things. It's more about the nuttiness that happens, and trying to get your pathetic dwarves to continue on despite it. Nothing like some random dwarf having divine inspiration and turning your best metal worker into a Legendary bone cup adorned with quartz, or having your super kitted out warrior dwarf stub his toe and die of an infection.

• 1Pathetic

Chris

Potato del Grande
I remember the start of every fort being to do water mechanisms to flood a room to grow mushrooms to make beer out of.

What can you do now? Just plant directly into a normal cave?

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I remember the start of every fort being to do water mechanisms to flood a room to grow mushrooms to make beer out of.

You can just dig out a room and plant there directly now.

• 1Like

Goonsquad Officer
If the soil is loamy or dirt you can plant. If its real stone you have to irrigate. Its normal to have layers of soil before earth on many starts

Goonsquad Officer
Earlier some one asked for starting strategy. I always did this:

Smith, digger, stone Mason, engraver, cook, farmer, stone crafter.

Make miner a wrestler and armor wearer. Make crafter sociable for trading. When miners legendary, make them soldiers or haulers

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
First impression. No borderless windowed by default? Wtf is this, some everquest era program? The default FPS cap being 50 is also just really weird. Upped that shit to 1000 so I can see some butter smooth pixels art. I was kinda confused about where the tutorial is. You have to generate a world and click fortress, then it'll give you the tutorial option.

Once you get in game, it looks pretty darn good. I like that you can kinda see lower levels faded out and what not. Feels a lot better than previous versions in that regard. Feels very much like dwarf fortress that I remember but improved. Weirdest thing about the key bindings is mouse wheel up zooming out and mousewheel down zooming in. I switch that right around instantly.

Feels very dwarf fortressy. It will definitely scratch the itch when I get it.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Played around with it a little. Really like it. Runs great. And I couldn't remember having to irrigate mud/peat/loam and the various forms of organic soils in vanilla DF, just rocks and what not. Checking the wikipedia, you don't have to. Bucket brigade is only for growing on surfaces that normally don't allow it like stone. You need to water stone to grow in this version too, so nothing has changed in that regard from the original. Honestly it just feels like they slapped much better graphics and a simpler UI on the clunky base game.

No complaints here.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Thoroughly enjoying this. Haven't played since like 2016 or so.

• 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

You only ever needed to flood rooms if you didn't have the right soil anyway. If you flood it and let it dry out the soil becomes something you can plant in.

Most caves will have this somewhere unless you use the desert biome or something where its 6 floors of sand.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Waited until this to finally dip my toes into the game. I can see why a lot of people chip at this over years, lol. Enjoying myself so far.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Fortress #3 after brushing off 6 years of rust:

Did okay for a while, had a bunch of farms and a nice resevoir setup. Plenty of resources around to use. However, I had one dwarf and his wife have quintuplets. While I was managing those the father had like 15 unmet needs. All of which were that he zealously needed to pray to the entire known Pantheon and a number of forbidden gods or some shit. I would need to build 8 more temples in addition to my other 2 JUST for this guy. While I figure okay that isn't too much effort I then realized that I couldn't build temples to the forbidden god he also wanted to pray to. One being "The Unholy One."

Dude goes into a tantrum crafts a legendary wooden spear then proceeds to murder my master stonemason with it. He then I guess stole the stone tools because he methodically defaced every statue in the fortress with creepy carvings of the Unholy one. I managed to quarantine him in the garbage room and he later died. One of his children grew up to be a devout Unholy One cultists or some shit and killed off my egg geese for some bullshit. So I quarantined his ass in another trash room.

Some other shit went down then a bunch of fucking elephants wrecked my shit.

Good times!

Baked in Dwarf Therapist and mouse support is huge. While I enjoyed the learning curve to a totally keyboard ASCII interface game this is a much nicer experience.

• 8Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 8 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Was going well, struck gold, dude got sneaky and made an epic mace, proceeded to beat some other dude to death with it. Feels better... OK then. There is like a million things to do and I don't know how to do most of them. I never have enough tallow, how do I get more animals? I also can't figure out how to assign a hunter.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Watching moonmoon play this game makes is interesting to watch. He has played the game before the Steam version ever came out so he has a ton of hours in the game already. IIRC, he used to play it in between Overwatch matches back in the day.

He currently has a volcano fortress going right now.

• 1Like

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Fortress #3 after brushing off 6 years of rust:

Did okay for a while, had a bunch of farms and a nice resevoir setup. Plenty of resources around to use. However, I had one dwarf and his wife have quintuplets. While I was managing those the father had like 15 unmet needs. All of which were that he zealously needed to pray to the entire known Pantheon and a number of forbidden gods or some shit. I would need to build 8 more temples in addition to my other 2 JUST for this guy. While I figure okay that isn't too much effort I then realized that I couldn't build temples to the forbidden god he also wanted to pray to. One being "The Unholy One."

Dude goes into a tantrum crafts a legendary wooden spear then proceeds to murder my master stonemason with it. He then I guess stole the stone tools because he methodically defaced every statue in the fortress with creepy carvings of the Unholy one. I managed to quarantine him in the garbage room and he later died. One of his children grew up to be a devout Unholy One cultists or some shit and killed off my egg geese for some bullshit. So I quarantined his ass in another trash room.

Some other shit went down then a bunch of fucking elephants wrecked my shit.

Good times!

Baked in Dwarf Therapist and mouse support is huge. While I enjoyed the learning curve to a totally keyboard ASCII interface game this is a much nicer experience.
I haven't ever played this game.

You are basically making it sound like "The Sims, for dudes" but strangely in a good way

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
For some reason, some events that are super important are easy to miss. Can't remember all the ones that were bothering me off the top of my head, but strange moods and migrants arriving have huge potential fallout, and basically just pop up as an Icon on the left side of the screen. Figured out how to to make them show a warning box. I'm sure there's others I'll add as I play.

Goto: [your whatever]....Steam\steamapps\common\Dwarf Fortress\data\init
Then go to the strange mood one and add :BOX so it becomes:
Code:
[STRANGE_MOOD:A_D:D_D:BOX]

Now there's a popup and the game pauses when a strange mood happens.

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
For some reason, some events that are super important are easy to miss. Can't remember all the ones that were bothering me off the top of my head, but strange moods and migrants arriving have huge potential fallout, and basically just pop up as an Icon on the left side of the screen. Figured out how to to make them show a warning box. I'm sure there's others I'll add as I play.

Goto: [your whatever]....Steam\steamapps\common\Dwarf Fortress\data\init
Then go to the strange mood one and add :BOX so it becomes:
Code:
[STRANGE_MOOD:A_D:D_D:BOX]

Now there's a popup and the game pauses when a strange mood happens.
Good news: Pop up works. Bad news: This asshole wants to make a legendary glass artifact on a sand free map. Time to bust out the cask of Amontillado.

• 1Worf

Kaines

Potato Supreme
I haven't ever played this game.

You are basically making it sound like "The Sims, for dudes" but strangely in a good way
I haven't played it either but I have a similar take on the game. However it seems to me like The Sims only you are playing every family in the whole damn town. Seems a bit much.