Dyson Sphere Program

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
And if there was a mode that you had to simultaneously build defenses against some bug creatures or adversaries I'd probably love it. I dunno, never played factorio that has bugs.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Game is too addictive, had to walk away.

Kind of want to start over in a few months etc, but once I started thinking about the ratios etc I would need to build, then realized I would need a spreadsheet or something to keep track of it, that's when I decided I needed a break.

Awesome game, will circle back hopefully next winter or fall and do a fresh run.

I will have to live vicariously through you guys and YouTube. Lol

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
And if there was a mode that you had to simultaneously build defenses against some bug creatures or adversaries I'd probably love it. I dunno, never played factorio that has bugs.
Yea, some form of combat or defense would be a welcome addition imo. Really though it's just Factorio's version of the endgame. DSP you build a rockets/sails to make a sphere, Factorio you build weapons/ammo to secure enough territory for a rocket. Problem is DSP there's no negative outcomes for doing the sphere wrong unlike defending against bugs.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
The developers of DSP have said they're planning to add enemies to it. Whether that just means creatures you fight on planets, or enemy civilizations you compete against I'm not sure.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
The developers of DSP have said they're planning to add enemies to it. Whether that just means creatures you fight on planets, or enemy civilizations you compete against I'm not sure.
Hopefully they realize that it should be an option, not something they force on people, because they've already got people loving the game without that. Don't get me wrong, once I've tired of the sandbox, I might want to try some defense as well, but I don't want that to be the only way you can play it once they implement it.

I don't think they'd do that, they seem pretty smart about what people like, but you never fucking know with people. 7 people will spam them on Twatter and they'll change the whole fucking game, if they react like some game companies do. Thankfully, unless it is the Chinese government making them do something, I don't think they would cave to that sort of thing.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Hopefully they realize that it should be an option, not something they force on people, because they've already got people loving the game without that.

Agreed, the combat in satisfactory was one thing I didn't like about that game. Quite a number of times I died to random monsters while out exploring far from home, then had to find my way all the way back to my death point to pick up all the stuff I was carring.. very irritating.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
I think a good starting point, with options for more or less aggressive bugs would be to tie them to rare resource nodes. Start easy around fire ice and work your way up. Want those unipolar magnets, better bring a BFG.

Maybe move organic crystals to a bug drop instead of the raw crystal version (keeping the plastic recipe). Add a new tech branch for zoology farming so you can "tame" and harvest like Oxygen not Included.

Last edited:

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

1615428050640.png

• 2Mother of God
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

velk

Trakanon Raider
Anyone got a good layout for a critical photon farm? I just seem to end up with a random mess of crap that doesn't line up in any way and it really annoys me. It works, but what is a working layout without good symmetry right ? ;p

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Anyone got a good layout for a critical photon farm? I just seem to end up with a random mess of crap that doesn't line up in any way and it really annoys me. It works, but what is a working layout without good symmetry right ? ;p
I just have long ass rings of receivers + graviton lens + splitters. I built it on my south pole and have it totally encircle the area. You could build the same concept anywhere.

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
Are you talking about the ray receiver part, or the particle colliders?
The ray receivers are easy since you can't space them all that close so there's plenty of room for both lens and photons. Hardest part for me is finding good locations to maximize efficiency.
Particle colliders I make a line with 3 belts on the short end. Offset colliders on either side by 1 and you can reach all 3 belts from the short side inputs/outputs from both sides. I typically run inputs down the middle with outputs on either side for the symmetry but that's just me.
I typically don't put the colliders near the receivers since polar real estate (or sun side tidal locked) is too valuable for big colliders. Ship the photons somewhere else for antimatter creation.

One thing to add about photons and other slower end game production; you don't really need belts/sorters higher than mk1. Unless you're approaching Tuco levels of 1k science/min it's most efficient to use cheap belts. I am terrible about this because I'm lazy once I get mk3 production going. I figure it's easier to tap a new planet once resources start to dwindle but some people play for those kinds of efficiencies.

Last edited:

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
One thing to add about photons and other slower end game production; you don't really need belts/sorters higher than mk1. Unless you're approaching Tuco levels of 1k science/min it's most efficient to use cheap belts. I am terrible about this because I'm lazy once I get mk3 production going. I figure it's easier to tap a new planet once resources start to dwindle but some people play for those kinds of efficiencies.
Yeah I reached the 'it's a waste of time to even consider using mk1/mk2 belts' this week.

Still using MK 2 assemblers though. I'll probably switch over once I scale up my quantum chip / particle broadband planets. I keep telling myself that once I finish my current project I'll lose interest in the game, then I find a new project to work on.

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
I only play now when I see a new idea on youtube or here and look what I did for comparison. Thoroughly enjoyed my time but once you find a "solution" to production it just gets repetitive scaling everything up for no reason other than scaling up. Almost the same timeline of interest as I had with factorio, satisfactory, and ONI. I should go back and replay some of those since, just like DSP, I played them in early release and I'm sure many things have evolved since I played them last.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I only play now when I see a new idea on youtube or here and look what I did for comparison. Thoroughly enjoyed my time but once you find a "solution" to production it just gets repetitive scaling everything up for no reason other than scaling up. Almost the same timeline of interest as I had with factorio, satisfactory, and ONI. I should go back and replay some of those since, just like DSP, I played them in early release and I'm sure many things have evolved since I played them last.
I'd probably quit if not for the planet copy mod. Building a ~1/10th planet sized mega-factory that's balanced and space-efficient is just about the perfect scale for the end-game, and being able to copy it to the rest of the planet / other planets is a good answer to scalability.

None-the-less it's still scaling for scaling sake, so after doing a planet for high-cost research items and rockets there won't be much left.

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>
I'm almost certain this game is a Chinese hypnotic mind control scheme packaged as a video game.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
2k. Currently bottlenecked on microprocessors of all things

Ey5qs7X.jpg

• 1Weird Boner
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users